Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6081038 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #23970 on: May 22, 2020, 09:40:05 am »
Aged care is such a mash up Mich. I hope your Mum is ok.
Marina I feel for your neighbours. Small business is really battling at the moment. Our neighbours run the local Chinese restaurant and things aren’t the best.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23971 on: May 22, 2020, 12:22:12 pm »
My apologies everyone for being MIA these past few days,
Quite stressful for DH and I recently. I threw “my toys out the pram” on Tuesday when I saw the scaffolders prop a ladder on top of a newly installed gutter and it was bending with their weight on it. I was livid 🤯 I challenged them and got the reply “ this is the only way we can do this” I stormed off grabbed my iPad and took photos. Consequently the next day when they came to install the next stage of scaffolding they braced the ladder the correct way.

I hope your DH feels better soon Margaret.

Sitting in the garden with Chance. It’s been beautiful weather these past few days.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 01:23:48 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #23972 on: May 22, 2020, 12:58:48 pm »
The ups and downs of life , hope you are all in a better place now .
Last day for DD doing on line home learning today , finished off with a Maths test !! She has been working so hard for her Year 12 studies , we can only be proud .
Back to a different boarding time on Sunday. Meanwhile DS will be here .

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23973 on: May 22, 2020, 02:22:26 pm »
Good on you Den, DH would have been proud of you.
Michele are you looking for more in-home help for your Mum?
Were you happy with your hair cut Margaret?  I need a cut but just can’t be bothered picking up the phone to see if my hairdresser is working or not.
Marina is that the cafe where you and I had a cuppa and a chat many years back?  So disappointing for them and their customers too, crime doesn’t seem to have fallen off much during Covid.
DD will probably be glad to get back to boarding school to see all her friends K Atie.
I had a friend visit this morning, They’re still rocking up with flowers or a pot plant after 3 weeks.
Yesterday I went to the gym for assessment and I’ll will be starting back for my 2 sessions per week on Monday, some normality returning to my life. I’ve also been able to finally book in to see my optometrist for next week as well.
Have a great weekend everyone.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23974 on: May 22, 2020, 02:31:51 pm »
CC, I can understand your frustration.  Glad you took a photo. A pretty stressful time, but sounds like they are getting on with the job.
Glad you are having some nice weather.
KAtie, I believe the schools have gone over the top with precautions for the safe return of the senior students. They will force feed them to make sure they are up to date.  Poor students and teachers.
Mab, you will feel better after the hair cut.  Hope the new hairdresser was ok.
Judy , you will enjoy being back at the Gym.
We are having friends for lunch next week.  We are all looking forward to it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23975 on: May 22, 2020, 02:49:24 pm »
I’m sure you are Chookie, is this your first lot of visitors for meals since you went into self-isolation?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #23976 on: May 22, 2020, 11:18:57 pm »
Judy, make your hair appointment you will feel so much better after it.  I usually go every 5-6 weeks but when I checked at the salon a few days ago when I went, learned it was 9 weeks!  It's surprising how much it can give you a lift.  :D

Cuilidh, I wonder if they targeted the cafe because they were hungry?  On our visits to Melbourne, we do a lot of walking around and would get asked for money a lot of the time.  We would give here and there but I wonder with less people out and about maybe some are really feeling it?  No excuse whatsoever but just a thought why they broke into them and not you next door.

Cornish, that would have peeved me off too, glad they thought twice the next day.  All these little frustrations will be forgotten once you move into your new house.  :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23977 on: May 23, 2020, 12:46:15 am »
Julie, the homeless in Melbourne are a real worry.  I used to buy food and give it to them as  I assumed that money might be used for drugs. I also thought they would have pension money.  However it was pointed out to me that because they are of no fixed address they can’t get  a pension. Last time we were in Melbourne we noticed that there was a culture of sharing among some groups.
Still cleaning out drawers. 

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #23978 on: May 23, 2020, 03:45:28 am »
Judy, the cafe we went to was a little way down the road - it has changed ownership now to a small wine bar.  The cafe that got broken into is right next door - the police reckon it was an opportunist theft - they saw a couple of ipads through the window and went for them ... apparently they missed the cash in the till!!

Homelessness is getting really bad in Melbourne - you feel so helpless but you don't know how best to help.  Most Christmases I try put a box together of toiletries, food, snacks, maybe some clothes - things that are easy to carry around, are helpful to daily survival - tampons, toothpaste, hairbrush/comb, make up, etc. (no knives or sharp objects permitted) and hand them over to charity for distribution.  We also donate two 'swags' each year from a company who then distribute them free to homeless people - or you can buy them for your own use at (I think) c. $150.00 each.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #23979 on: May 23, 2020, 07:03:57 am »
Katie, it sounds like your daughter is doing very well. Hopefully she wil get face to face schooling soon. School as normal in NSW now. From the 1st June, Gladys will let 50 patrons into pubs and clubs as long as they are seated, no standing  :-\

CC, glad you stood your ground.

Good that you can get to the gym Judy,  routine is good in these times. Yes, I'm hoping to get mum some more domestic help. She is currently approved for 2 hours a fortenight - for which we are very grateful. Hoping to get a little bit of time on the opposite week. Really, I am sure there are folk that need it more than mum, as I go over every other day and my DD goes on my off day. It is mainly changing the bed and hanging out the washing she has trouble with. Mum changes her tea towel and hand towels every day and bath towels every second day, so makes for a fair bit of washing and wet towels are heavy for her.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23980 on: May 23, 2020, 09:20:39 am »
Lots of stories. CC good on you, they will hopefully be more careful now.
KAtie year 12 is stressful for everyone, parents and kids alike. The schools here took Year 12's back after the holidays. My brother is head of Maths at one school.
Mich I do hope your Mum gets the help.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #23981 on: May 23, 2020, 11:56:51 am »
Chookie and Cuilidh that is a great way of helping out.  Coming from where we live we hadn't seen this before and we did feel bad for them.  I can't imagine what it must be like especially through winter.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #23982 on: May 23, 2020, 01:22:15 pm »
DD school has strict preconditions too . Feel for all of them it is not going to be easy , a lot of time they will be only in their rooms , luckily DD has heaps of work to keep her occupied.
Hairdresser is a great idea Judy , our household need to visit ours but she had a baby so we have no idea when she will be back .

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23983 on: May 23, 2020, 11:37:30 pm »
The Victorian Government will make no blanket compensation for year 12s.  But I am sure the Universities will.  In Victoria, preps, 1 and 2, and 11 and 12 back on Tuesday.  Last week we saw the teachers cars at the little school near us.
Will do a meal plan for the week so as not to waste the lovely fresh veggie I bought.  I bought some watercress which doesn’t store well. Also bean  shoots. Store these in water, change it every day.
A bit of SD bread making.
Organize Rals medication.  It changes nearly every week.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23984 on: May 24, 2020, 10:04:35 am »
Our schools have been back for 2-3 weeks now. My friends tell me that there is constant cleaning going on and touch wood no Covid 19 either.