Author Topic: Red Onion Relish  (Read 7825 times)

Offline Zanne

• View Profile
Red Onion Relish
« on: May 08, 2010, 09:27:58 am »
Hi all

I'm new to the forum and a new Thermomix user.  I love it but I think I have just ruined the Red Onion Relish....Silly me had the cord under one of the feet which meant my measurements went a little haywire!  I only realised when I put in the 160g of red wine and noticed the bottle of wine was half empty.  Darn!.....I could have drank that....  I'd say I've also put in way too much sugar and apricots and the finished product is very runny with whole apricots swimming around in it....oh, I threw in a red birds eye chilli when I realised which I think has counteracted the extra sweetness.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix I'd be very grateful,  I'm thinking drain some of the liquid of and blend the remainder a little?

Cheers

Zanne :-\

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
Re: Red Onion Relish
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 10:59:51 am »
What I would do is to insert the basket in the bowl, strain off the extra liquid into a pan and then reduce on a high heat on the hob. Add the reduced liquid back to the bowl and finish in there adjusting taste to suit.  Good luck!
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 09:56:08 am »
You could put the strained juice into the TMX if you don't have a hob and cook on Varoma temp to reduce it and then place the remainder back and cook more on Varoma temp to reduce the liquid.  There is a recipe for Onion jam on here with directions that may help.

Also, if you want to maintain some chunkiness then remember to put it on Reverse  :-: when cooking it down.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Zanne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 03:08:50 pm »
Thanks for the tips, I ended up straining the extra liquid and used it as a red wine sauce on steak, quity yummy!  I cooked the remainder of the relish for a few more minutes on Varoma & Reverse and it was lovely, quite sweet and you could definitely taste the red wine....it will be interesting to see what this recipe taste like cooked with the correct amount of red wine and sugar...thanks very much for your suggestions.. :)

Offline lizzieO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 02:44:05 pm »
I made the relish today, it tasted good but had enormous bits in it, even though I only used 120 of red wine as DH was out and was nervous about opening a bottle of good stuff to top it off. It doesn't taste so good anymore 'cos I thought i'd chop it up a bit and now have onion relish baby food!!! I'm a novice, Harriet (my TMX) and I celebrate our one week relationship tomorrow so I think I badly underestimate her extreme power. I did sample some on top of cheese on a cracker and it wasn't that bad. I'm sure DH will enjoy it, he eats everything I make with dare I say it extreme relish, ha ha. Does anyone have any suggestions on making this relish better?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 03:15:08 am »
No but I have a friend who buys caramelised onions and smothers crackers with Philly cream cheese and then puts some onion on top.  Your 'relish' sounds perfect for this idea lizzieO.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.