Author Topic: Roasted Nut and Mixed Fruit Muesli Bars  (Read 13403 times)

Offline Thermoconvert

• View Profile
Roasted Nut and Mixed Fruit Muesli Bars
« on: November 23, 2009, 02:56:45 am »
MUESLI BARS

Ingredients
40g apricots
45g dates
90g dried fruit
50g oat bran (I mill oats to make this)
20g pumpkin seeds
50g unsalted nuts
40g almonds
90g coconut
25g wheat germ
130g rolled oats
35g sunflower seeds
200g unsalted butter
160g honey
200g sugar

Method
Place apricots, dates and dried fruit into TM bowl and process on speed 8 for 8 seconds.  Remove and place into bowl.  
Mill 50g oats to make oat bran.  
Add pumpkin seeds, nuts and almonds to TM bowl, turn dial to closed lid position and pulse 5 times.  
Add coconut, wheat germ, rolled oats and sunflower seeds to TM bowl and roast for 8 minutes on 100c on speed 1.  Remove and place into same bowl as fruit.  
Place butter, honey and sugar into TM bowl and cook for 8 minutes on 100c on speed 2.
Pour sauce over all other ingredients and mix quickly and thoroughly.  Scrape into baking paper covered tray and spread and press firmly with a spatula.  Allow to cool and cut with sharp knife.

Note: If you like 'chunky muesli bars, you can get away with processing the fruit less and not pulsing the nuts at all.

If the mixture looks a little 'wet' just add 1/2 - 1 cups more of oats at final stage.

Yoghurt Topping:
3/4 cup icing sugar
1 Tbsp lowfat plain yogurt
1/2 tsp grated orange or lemon rind
1/2 tsp orange or lemon juice (or omit juice and only use 1/2 cup of icing sugar)
or
1/4 cup yoghurt
little honey and
few drops of apple juice

I have used these to ice cakes which are quickly eaten, so am not sure how well icing would store.  Would definitely keep them in the fridge though.  Let me know how it goes if you ever try it.

members' comments

caquince - Just put these together...am waiting anxiously for them to harden.  I was eating the  mixture, and it tastes delicious!   It is quite sweet - I was not sure if it would be.  I also tried rapadura sugar instead of regular sugar to see if it would still taste good.  It seems like they will be great!  I think I will even try to reduce the amount of sugar next time... I am always trying to reduce the amount of sugar that goes into my toddlers mouth, but he will LOVE them!  I definitely would not feel guilty giving him one of these - full of good and tasty things!  Thanks so much TC!

containergirl - I made these with quite a bit of 'creative' adaptation for my fussy families tastes. 
190g apricots (the only dried fruit to pass DD lips...except for in hot cross buns when she will accept small quantities of sultanas and currants)
50g oat meal
95g cashews (replacing pumpkin seeds, nuts and wheatgerm)
45g almonds
oats, sugar, honey, butter, coconut as per real recipe

I wasn't sure on the consistency and probably should have added more oats as thermoconvert advised.  It was a bit too sticky to set.  Feeling a bit deflated (because one should never try a new recipe while getting dinner and doing the evening rush Cry) I popped it into a container in the fridge.  Next day DD and I roll them into small balls or logs and roll in coconut and they were a real hit.  We have masses of them on hand now.
I look forward to trying them again and if they set that would be great but if they don't they work a treat as balls.
Thanks for the great addition to our families snack pile.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:47:18 pm by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Roasted Nut and Mixed Fruit Muesli Bars
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 02:59:44 am »
WOW - now I feel really bad - better get back to writing recipes.  Thanks again TC  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermoconvert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 03:38:50 am »
Just remember these are a years worth of recipes:)  I am a little lazy with converting some of my recipes from cups to grams.  Must get onto a few more too.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 05:46:07 am »
I like the sound of these thermoconvert.  You wouldn't happen to have a recipe for the yoghurt icing that you can get on store bought ones do you?   :D

Offline Thermoconvert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 06:14:33 am »
Yoghurt Topping:
3/4 cup icing sugar
1 Tbsp lowfat plain yogurt
1/2 tsp grated orange or lemon rind
1/2 tsp orange or lemon juice (or omit juice and only use 1/2 cup of icing sugar)
or
1/4 cup yoghurt
little honey and
few drops of apple juice

I have used these to ice cakes which are quickly eaten, so am not sure how well icing would store.  Would definitely keep them in the fridge though.  Let me know how it goes if you ever try it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 06:24:17 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D so she just whips one out of her back pocket.  No doubt about you TC, you are going to be a definite asset to this forum.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 06:44:09 am »
Wow, asked and answered!  Thankyou so much.  Will make them in next couple of weeks and report back.  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 08:31:44 am »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D so she just whips one out of her back pocket.  No doubt about you TC, you are going to be a definite asset to this forum.

I second the motion.  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 08:45:52 am »
Wow, that was amazing TC. Your muesli bars look lovely too. They look one I make called 'Bird Seed' slice. Very good for us.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 09:28:58 am »
Another recipe that makes my day - thanks!  :-*
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline caquince

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 08:08:10 am »
Just put these together...am waiting anxiously for them to harden.  I was eating the  mixture, and it tastes delicious!   It is quite sweet - I was not sure if it would be.  I also tried rapadura sugar instead of regular sugar to see if it would still taste good.  It seems like they will be great!  I think I will even try to reduce the amount of sugar next time... I am always trying to reduce the amount of sugar that goes into my toddlers mouth, but he will LOVE them!  I definitely would not feel guilty giving him one of these - full of good and tasty things!  Thanks so much TC!
-cq

Offline containergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 05:16:54 am »
I made these with quite a bit of 'creative' adaptation for my fussy families tastes. 
190g apricots (the only dried fruit to pass DD lips...except for in hot cross buns when she will accept small quantities of sultanas and currants)
50g oat meal
95g cashews (replacing pumpkin seeds, nuts and wheatgerm)
45g almonds
oats, sugar, honey, butter, coconut as per real recipe

I wasn't sure on the consistency and probably should have added more oats as thermoconvert advised.  It was a bit too sticky to set.  Feeling a bit deflated (because one should never try a new recipe while getting dinner and doing the evening rush :'() I popped it into a container in the fridge.  Next day DD and I roll them into small balls or logs and roll in coconut and they were a real hit.  We have masses of them on hand now.

I look forward to trying them again and if they set that would be great but if they don't they work a treat as balls.

Thanks for the great addition to our families snack pile.
Senior Princess
Pimlico Palace