Author Topic: Recipe Book Tweaking and Reviews!  (Read 162382 times)

Offline ClareN

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Book Tweaking and Reviews!
« Reply #285 on: January 17, 2011, 04:44:52 am »
Another review from me:

Recipe Name: Shepherds Pie
Book Name: EDC
Tweaking details: Use normal mash or not mash so much to make it less sloppy.
Review: Was very nice, but a bit sloppy.  Next time I might not whip the mash to see if that firms it up a bit as it wasn't as easy for my 16 month old to eat!  Taste wise, my hubby said it was the best he's ever had!
Score: (out of 5*)  4

Recipe Name: Tuna Mornay
Book Name: Budget Busters
Tweaking details: Does not need 3 cloves of garlic.
Review: Waaaaaayyyyy too much garlic - and I love garlic!  But the flavour was overwhelming.  I will make again, but only use 1 clove.
Score: (out of 5*) 4

Offline ClareN

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 17, 2011, 04:53:46 am »
I forgot one.

Recipe Name: Rice Salad
Book Name: EDC
Tweaking details: None
Review: Delicious and so so easy to make!
Score: (out of 5*) 5

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 03, 2011, 11:51:11 am »
Recipe Name:Chicken leek and corn pie
Book Name:Budget busters
Tweaks:put mix in 6 large ramikins and covered with a quarter sheet of puff pastry, sprinkled with egg wash and sesame seeds to make little mini pot pies.

Verdict:  All happy!  Yummy and easy.  Have found that many pot pie recipes from pre Thermomix days were quite runny and watery so I thought the filling of the consistency was great. 
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline sensuous

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 11, 2011, 05:27:33 am »
Tried the Butter Chicken with good and positive results. Downside is that there was far too much sauce for the quantity of chicken. On day 2, I sauteed another 1kg of chicken in a frypan and added it to the sauce, then heated it through for dinner again. For those who have commented on lack of taste or flavour, I'd suggest checking the freshness of the spices. 

Offline wigwam28

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 01, 2011, 01:09:56 pm »
Coleslaw

Everyday cookbook page 39

I don't add apple unless it is going to all be eaten the same day as it tends to go brown and looks unappetising - I add a little bit of sugar to compensate along with a handful of Italian parsley with the other ingredients. I usually only make 1/2 quantity and it only takes 3-4 seconds all up.

Couldn't get anything quicker than this salad, it takes longer to prepare the vegies for the bowl than it does to chop them. Haven't mastered the mayonnaise yet so use a bought one.

5/5 for me
instead of the mayonnaise i use about one tablesoon of mayonnaise (shop bought) and about 2 to 3 tablespoons of greek yoghurt. yummy!

Offline Sassafrass

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 30, 2011, 02:48:50 am »
Fast & Easy Indian Cooking
Tikka Paste p17
Chicken Tikka Masala p89
Cardamom Cake p156
Salty Lasi p 158

We had this as an entire meal including a bought roti (I will make my own - from above book at let you know how it went) and rice with the Chicken Tikka Masala.

Tikka Paste
I halved this recipe (didn't have enough coriander seeds for whole).  It made 1 whole jar (jam size) + 90g for 1st use.  the paste is DELICIOUS.  Mild enough for young children, but has a slight bite.
5 Stars  :D

Chicken Tikka Masala
The 1st time I made the Chicken tikka I thought there wasn't enough sauce, so this time I doubled it, however this made far too much, so next time I will make the exact quantities from the book (this way you finish thinking I would love a little more instead of oh my - I can't finish this).  The original recipe made enough to feed 2 adults and 3 children (aged 3-8).
5 Stars :D

Salty Lasi
Sadly we didn't really like this drink, however if you love the tang of Greek-style yogurt, and can eat it straight by the spoonful give it a go.
2 Stars  :-\

Cardamom Cake.
What can I say YUM YUM YUM.  We loved this cake.  It is basically a butter cake with a refreshing after taste, that's hard to describe but delicious.  I would not change a thing about this, and yes the cake is even more moist the next day - great with a coffee as well.  We served this firstly with creme fraiche, which was OK but much better with cream.  Also great by itself.
5 Stars  :D

Hope this inspires someone to give these a go

Sassafrass

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 30, 2011, 03:18:35 am »
That's exactly what these reviews do Sassafrass, thanks for your posting.  I have little bags of tikka paste (100g) sitting in my freezer which makes life so much easier and I don't have to worry about use by dates.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Winn

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 29, 2011, 12:16:15 pm »
Book:       Fast & easy Indian Cooking.
Recipe:     Chick Pea Curry
Review:    Made last week for 1st time, did half the amount as just me, more than enough for two to three  meals.  Kept  warm in insulated dish (similar function  as thermosaver) while rice was cooking in TX.  Enjoyed so much, it is cooking again right now.  Instead of salad, will include some  steamed diced carrots & brocolli florets.  5/5

Offline Sassafrass

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 06, 2011, 10:50:43 am »
Recipe Name: Ravioli with Sweet Ricotta Filling and Lamb Ragout
Book Name: Full Steam Ahead
Tweaking details: I wouldn't change a thing – however the recipe doesn't say to leave the ravioli, however my pasta maker suggested you leave the made ravioli for an hour to dry out before cooking (if you don't let it dry out it will all stick together in the steamer)
Review: Absolutely loved this.  It did take a long time for me to roll out the dough, but it was well worth it
Score: (out of 5*) 5  ;D

I have read a very old link that said the pasta from the book doesn't make enough; however this feed 2 adults and 3 children (+ small lunch for husband next day).  The pasta needs to be rolled on the thinnest possible setting (I used 8 ), and it made 60 ravioli's.  I have also read questions about what flour to use, I used normal plain flour (Australian) with no problems.
Sassafrass
Sassafrass

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 06, 2011, 11:07:44 am »
Sassafrass, thanks for the review. The picture in FSA has a small quantity of a very dry sauce on it - is this the case or was yours runnier.  Did you do as suggested and that is have the ravioli as an entree and the lamb ragout as a main?

Offline Sassafrass

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 08, 2011, 02:41:42 am »
Hi Judydawn,
I made the recipe exactly as it stated (I'm not yet confident tweaking), however I must admit I didn't read step 13 (how to serve) which tells you to use the ravioli as a 1st course and lamb ragout as main.  Instead I served the Lamb ragout as the sauce for the ravioli.  Now I understand about the quantity concerns and dryness issues.  I don't think there would be enough of the ravioli to serve on it's own (for four people, and it would be very dry, I also think the ragout needs something to soak into), however both together make a fantastic meal, easily serving four adults.  This meal is now one of our favourites, and well worth the effort of making your own pasta (I'm sure more experienced pasta makers would do this much quicker than I did, as all up it took me about 2 hours not 1h 20min).
Sassafrass

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 08, 2011, 03:13:26 am »
Thanks for that Sassafrass, sounds a better idea to me too.