Author Topic: Steaming vegies in Varoma when making mash?  (Read 7212 times)

Offline kezza

• View Profile
Steaming vegies in Varoma when making mash?
« on: October 07, 2011, 02:38:54 am »
Has anyone steamed veges such as broccoli and cauliflower in the varoma while making mashed potato?  I am wondering if there is enough steam to cook them.  I am trying to make more use of the varoma.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Steaming vegies in Varoma when making mash?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 04:28:19 am »
I used to try to do this but it doesn't always work as it doesn't have enough steam - I have resorted to putting a small saucepan on the stove to cook the carrots,peas,zucchini,corn, etc while potato is cooking.  :-)) But if you have something else on the go with more water or temp or if your cook your potatoes a different way (in basket with 1L of water) it would work well. ;)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 07:28:33 am »
My mob aren't particularly fond of the rich mashed potato all the time so I cook my potatoes in the basket, steam all my other veg in the varoma and then just empty out the water, tip in the spud and what ever I am adding to it and mash it. Cooks fine that way  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 08:32:33 am »
Here's another thread about steaming veg.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 05:18:33 am »
Thanks everyone.  I didn't think there would be enough steam.  I have always followed the EDC mash with no problems - I use skim milk, not full cream.  I will give cooking the potatoes in the basket a go and put varoma on top for veges.  Thanks JD for the link, I must have missed that one.

Offline chicksta44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 08:49:51 am »
Tonight I'm experimenting and making a chicken cacciatore type dish in the jug, with potatoes in the basket (for mash) and my veg in the varoma but I can already see my potatoes have turned red from the splashing of the tomato sauce mixture. Is there any way around this??

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 09:10:34 am »
Not that I know of. The only thing I can think of is to do your potatoes before or after the sauce. Or you could put them into the varoma and then mash them after wards. Rinsing the bowl first to get rid of the sauce colour and flavour.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline chicksta44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 10:57:39 am »
Thanks Cookie. Was a bit of a disaster dinner. Note to self... No cooking when extremely tired and slightly hung over! Lol. DH (to be) said "what's this brown stuff?"  I said it's mash honey, it's just infused with tomato! Lol.  He still ate it. Made a  right mess of the whole dinner. The chicken pieces shredded to fine bits even though I had it on reverse slow. Oh well. It all tasted great still. Just didnt look pretty. Happy New Year to you :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 05:44:56 am »
Lisaarnold I don't like chicken cooked in the TMX bowl as mine always shreds too. What I do now is cook the chicken in a non stick frying pan while I do the rest in the TMX. Then I combine the chicken and the sauce or whatever just before I serve it or just put them together as I serve it. It saves complaints.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/