Author Topic: Artichoke & Parmesan Tart  (Read 20385 times)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Artichoke & Parmesan Tart
« on: January 06, 2011, 12:22:24 pm »
Name of Recipe:  Artichocke & Parmesan Tart

Number of People: 4-5

Ingredients:

1 quantity cream cheese pastry.....http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=4620.0

100g strong parmesan cheese cubed
1 garlic clove
2 rashers bacon chopped
1 400g can artichoke hearts, drained & halved
1/2 cup whole egg mayonaise (I used SW brand)
4 large eggs
1 stick spring onion (use all) chopped
1 tsp tabasco sauce
cracked pepper
smoked paprika

Preparation:

Roll the pre-made chilled pastry and I lined it in a 13 x 36 cm rectangle tart pan, or use a shallow pie dish/tin.
Place back in fridge for 30 minutes and pre-heat oven to 190oC.

Place the cubed parmesan cheese into jug, grate for 5 seconds, speed 8.  Place into another bowl and set aside.

Chop bacon (I prefer by hand), set aside.

Add the garlic clove to jug and chop on speed 8 for a few seconds.  Scrape down jug.

Add the artichoke hearts (each cut in half) and chop for 5 seconds, speed 3.

Add the egg mayonnaise, eggs, tabasco, parmesan, bacon, and cracked pepper to taste.  Mix for 15 seconds,  :-: speed 2.

Transfer to another bowl, stir in the chopped spring onions and set aside in fridge until ready.
* I made the filling earlier in the day, to let the flavours mesh*

TART SHELL:
Take the pastry lined tin out of fridge and  blind bake for 10 minutes at 190oC.
Reduce oven to 180oC.

Pour the filling into tart case (mixture was full to the brim) and sprinkle some smoked paprika over the top.
Bake for 40 minutes on 180oC.
Check to make sure it's set, give a little longer if needed (depending on the tin/dish you use).

Photos:

Most of the ingredients are in a dip that I make & devour.....so added some eggs & pastry.....and presto.....a tart is born  ;)

Warm Artichoke Dip

1 x 400g tin artichoke hearts, drained
1 cup whole egg mayonnaise
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 Tbsp. tabasco sauce
1 clove garlic, crushed
black pepper
2 Tbsp. spring onions, choppped

Combine ingredients and place in an ovenproof dish.
Sprinkle with paprika and bake for 20 minutes at 180oC.
Serve warm/hot with sliced french stick etc.

It seems a lot of tabasco but it works well. There's enough bite without being over-bearing.

members' comments

CC - Divine. Cookie's pastry was a dream to work with but I did have a problem when I stared to assemble the filling. That tin of Artichoke Hearts that was kicking around in my cupboard had cloned into a tin of Celery Hearts but the perfect substitute. So Maddy watch out, that tin of tuna you have in the bottom of your cupboard might clone into a tin of salmon.  A great recipe Maddy. Definitely making this again.

O2K - Had this lovely tart tonight, DH raved about it and ate an embarrassing amount. Made the cream cheese pastry with homemade yoghurt cheese.  Only used 90g as I figured the consistency of the dough was right.  Consequently there was only just enough pastry for my tart tin (knowing that it would shrink) so next time I will increase the quantities of everything proportionally to have enough.  Very pleased that it worked though and still had the lovely flaky texture of the sour cream and cream cheese pastries. Thanks for posting the recipe Maddy.

Gert - I made this tart but used Maggie Beer's sour cream pastry recipe. Absolutely delicious. I have always used S & W mayo.

cookie - We had this last night Maddy and loved it. I couldn't decide between a tin of artichoke hearts or a jar of marinated ones. I chose the latter and they were really tasty.

CP - meant to post earlier that it was very enjoyable. The Tabasco gives it a bit of punch but do like that and it was lovely reheated again the next day for lunch. Thanks Maddy - (it made it just in the nick of time into my new Favourites book).

JulieO -  I didn't realise until today that the jar of artichokes I bought was only 280g but the tart still turned out great.  In the filling I used home made mayo and for the pastry I used up the last of the home made cream cheese that I had.  Instead of tabasco, I used a small pinch of chilli powder.  Thoroughly enjoyed it with a simple salad, will make again.  Thanks Maddy.

MJ - I made the dip in a cob loaf and served it for afternoon tea at bowls. The guys scoffed it! I didn't tell them there were artichokes in it until they'd nearly finished!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:51:53 am by judydawn »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Artichoke & Parmesan Tart
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 12:58:47 pm »
Gorgeous maddy.  Haven't used artichokes for many years.  Tried them in some dish and it didn't spoil it for me so I wouldn't have a problem with making this one.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 04:13:21 pm »
This looks yummy Maddy.I have a tin of artichokes kicking around in the cupboard so I now have a great recipe to use them up. ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:05:36 pm »
Oh my that looks so good.  I've never had an artichoke!  :-[  I wouldn't mind making a half quantity of this seeing there's only 2 of us these days, it's on the cards for next week.   Thanks Maddy.  ;D

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 10:07:09 pm »
This looks like a delicious way to use up some mayonnaise that I made.  I make it for salad dressings but it takes forever for myself & DH to go through a batch of mayonnaise and so often end up wasting some.

This will be on the plan for next week.  Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.   :)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 10:38:16 pm »
I have a tin of artichokes kicking around in the cupboard so I now have a great recipe to use them up. ;)

LOL....there always seems to be a can of artichokes & a can of tuna kicking around the pantry......and we very rarely eat tuna.....but it's always in there!

I've never had an artichoke!  :-[ 

It a funny thing.....it's not screamingly obvious....but you know it's in there.

That cream cheese pastry is a beautiful pastry to work with too!  I think that will become my regular favourite.
It rolls out silky smooth.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:40:33 pm by maddy »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 05:33:50 am »
I had  my first artichoke only a few weeks back. I do so love the long tin, it looks really special. I think I may have to buy one.(think?????? I will buy one) It will be so much easier to serve too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Lovemythermo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 05:44:15 am »
Maddy do you think a TMX mayonnaise would be suitable to use in this tart? it looks superb.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 05:52:24 am »

If you like the EDC mayo, then I'm sure it will be fine LMt.....I used that brand mayo because that's what is used in the dip I make, and I like the taste of it.
It's only 1/2 a cup, so it shouldn't cause any drama's  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 07:48:31 pm »
I made this for our supper this evening,verdict,Divine.Cookie's pastry was a dream to work with but I did have a problem when I stared to assemble the filling.That tin of Artichoke Hearts that was kicking around in my cupboard had cloned into a tin of Celery Hearts  :D :D :D but the perfect substitute.So Maddy watch out, that tin of tuna you have in the bottom of your cupboard might clone into a tin of  salmon.  :o :o
A great recipe Maddy.Definitely making this again. :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 01:53:32 am »
Oh your too funny cc  :D
Celery hearts.... ???.....don't think I've ever seen that item here......has anyone else?
Glad the substitute worked  :) and I love that pastry too!

To add......don't think the tuna will ever get used.....the family think it resembles the cats food too closely, so I think I'd be wasting my time  :P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 11:19:00 am »
This looks fab, maddy. A dip recipe, you say? I'd love that recipe too as I had a delicious hot artichoke dip recently and would love to make the same.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 11:15:42 pm »
I have been making this hot dip for 40 years. You can add to it if you like and substitue spinach for the artichokes.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1915,137162-226202,00.html

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 01:02:33 am »
Yep, similar dip to what Gretchen posted.
This was on Best Recipes.

Warm Artichoke Dip

1 x 400g tin artichoke hearts, drained
1 cup whole egg mayonnaise
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 Tbsp. tabasco sauce
1 clove garlic, crushed
black pepper
2 Tbsp. spring onions, choppped

Combine ingredients and place in an ovenproof dish.
Sprinkle with paprika and bake for 20 minutes at 180c.
Serve warm/hot with sliced french stick etc.

It seems a lot of tabasco, but it works well. There's enough bite without being over-bearing.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 08:05:22 am »
Had this lovely tart tonight, DH raved about it and ate an embarrassing amount  :o

Made the cream cheese pastry with homemade yoghurt cheese.  Only used 90g as I figured the consistency of the dough was right.  Consequently there was only just enough pastry for my tart tin (knowing that it would shrink) so next time I will increase the quantities of everything proportionally to have enough.  Very pleased that it worked though and still had the lovely flaky texture of the sour cream and cream cheese pastries.

Thanks for posting the recipe Maddy :)