Author Topic: Hi There!  (Read 12056 times)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Hi There!
« on: May 27, 2009, 01:27:15 am »
:D Hi - Well ... What a whirlwind couple days I've had learning about TM!!! Never seen or heard of anything like it before! (I do live in the middle of no where!) I stumbled across the name of it on the Fedupwithfoodadditives website so did a search on it - watched an hour or so of Utube demos, found a consultant and now trying to convince hubby we really need one! Booked in for a cooking class in Mooloolaba on the 13th. Now  - I'm seriously thinking about being a consultant. What a fantastic little machine!!! Why is Australia behind the times in almost everything?! One thing I'm a little concerned with (being a bit of a health freak) is the plastic dish you cook in. I don't even serve anything in plastic. Does anyone else have this concern? I haven't even seen this machine in real life...is it plastic??
Looking forward to using all the wonderful recipes on here (once I actually get my TM of course)
Thanks  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Hi There!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 01:41:10 am »
Hi Nay-nay - welcome. 

I don't have problems with the plastic - the bowl you cook in is stainless steel, but there are plastic inserts and steamer.  Contact TMX Australia via http://www.thermomix.com.au/01-contactus.html and they should be able to give you re-assuring info on the type of plastic.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 01:54:09 am »
:)Thanks - I did ask the consultant about it on the phone and she said it had been tried and tested. She also said you used to be able to get stainless steel accessories for it - I wonder if you still can get a hold of these?  :-\

Offline Master Moderator

• Thermomix Recipes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Thermomix
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 02:00:28 am »
Great to hear from you. Have a great time here. Thanks so much for your participation. Means so much to us all.

Enjoy

Admin :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 02:03:17 am »
:)Thanks - I did ask the consultant about it on the phone and she said it had been tried and tested. She also said you used to be able to get stainless steel accessories for it - I wonder if you still can get a hold of these?  :-\

They still had plastic bits in them - think the newer plastic may be better healthwise.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 03:35:04 am »
We ALWAYS get asked about the 'plastic'.  It is not plastic it is foodsafe polypropolene.  It does not leach anyhting into the food.  Vorwerk have stated over and over and over that it is totally safe to use.   This is the official statement in the consultants training manual

Question/ Objection: “What are the Varoma and steamer basket made from? Are they food safe?”
Vorwerk Engineering certifies that all materials used in Thermomix and the Varoma meet international standards for consumer safety.  All ‘plastic’ materials that may be exposed to food in the course of common cooking practices are certified to be food-proof. Granulates (raw materials) are sourced from trusted suppliers and processed into components in France and Germany at Vorwerk’s own factories that meet stringent European manufacturing and safety standards. Varoma materials have been tested and confirmed to comply with FDA regulations. In addition, the seals of mixing bowl lids comply with European standards as set forth by the Federal Institute for Risk Assessment.

The material used for the Varoma is the same as the steamer basket. These parts are made from polypropylene (PP).  The main concern with these types of materials is the softeners ie. Phthalates which are used to make rigid plastics more flexible). Phthalates are known to leach out of plastic and into food, especially when heated.  The leached chemicals are known as xenoestrogens and have been connected to hormone disruptions particularly in women.

The usage of phthalates is becoming more and more restricted, especially in European counties. Vorwerk does not use Phthalates in their Varoma or steamer basket – these are more commonly found in cheap plastic bottles, food packaging and containers.

Always look for the food safe symbol (a glass and fork) when buying any plastic materials. You will see the Varoma, steamer basket and spatula all carry this symbol.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 03:43:16 am »
Thanks Ann - will put this info in the Questions section.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 03:50:32 am »
:) Thanks for that info - that is exactly what I was after! It was the Phthalates that leach the xenoestrogens I was worried about - I certainly don't need anything else messing with my hormones!!
What is the hottest temp the machine reaches?? Does it measure in Celsius?
Thanks!

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:54:05 am by Nay-nay »

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 03:57:46 am »
The temp measurements are in Celsius and it goes to 100C and then 'Varoma' temp - not sure what that is.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 05:41:31 am »
Hi there Nay-nay & welcome. I must confess that I was a bit disappointed when my varoma arrived and it was plastic especially since all the pictures I had seen were stainless steel. (I have had my machine for just over a year now.) I did ask the question "why is it plastic?" and got told it was not plastic! - the exact spiel that has been included by baf65! The fact is that 99% of my use involves none of the "plastic" bits so I have not been overly concerned. I also always try to serve and store leftovers in either glass or the stainless steel server.

I did however cringe when my friend in England told me that at the demonstration he went to, they wrapped chicken in glad wrap before putting it in the varoma. (I think someone also suggested it not long ago for dry chicken on this forum.) Just the way that plastic stuff shrinks around things is more than I could bear ...
Barb from Aldgate, South Australia

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 05:47:06 am »
welcome naynay!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 07:22:49 am »
Vorwerk replace the stainless steel one as it had many design faults....as in the stainless steel got too hot , it leaked at the sides, and I think that also it didnt sit very well on the lid
I think it shows that they are constantly trying to perfect the product by bringing out a more suitable attachment! and I dont think they would have just thought oh lets replace this stainless steel product with a bit of plastic, I am sure they thoroughly researched the materials they were going to use to make sure they 'fitted' with the type of product they are promoting
One thing Ive been told is that TM here has asked the Vorwerk head office for more information on the 'plastic issue' but they just reaffirm it is safe , I guess because of all the patents on the machine they cannot truly reveal how they make it!

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 09:45:34 am »
Hi nay nay, I have seen the stainless steel varomas, a few friend have, and the new ones are much smarter and efficient! I think they are more like a fibre glass, rather than plastic, very sturdy, and come on lets face it these Germans know their business! Thats my opinion anyway. The advantages of the new type, like Baf has mentioned the previous type, dripped at the sides, very hot to touch and you can't see whats going on inside like you can with the new model. I guess, if you really want the previous model you could always find a second hand one on ebay!
Welcome anyway! ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 10:02:28 am »
Welcome nay nay, good to see your mind has been put at ease re the plastic bits.  That's what is so good about this forum, we are all here to help each other. Just ask a question and someone is bound to know the answer.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 12:31:30 am »
Thank you all - I feel very welcome!! :)