Author Topic: Work lunches & snacks  (Read 4024 times)

Offline KathD11

• View Profile
Work lunches & snacks
« on: August 30, 2012, 03:07:20 am »
I am just about to return to work from maternity leave and now I have my Thermie I dont want to fall back into my old habits of buying lunch and snacks at work - costing me a lot of money (and putting on a few kilos too!)

Does anyone have favourite snacks or easy lunches for work days (or school lunch boxes - I would probably love to eat that too ;D)? There is soooo much info on this forum, I will start trawling now, but would love ideas from anyone willing to share.

Thanks!!

Offline deedub

• View Profile
Re: Work lunches & snacks
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 04:20:20 am »
Unfortunately my work only provides a dodgy microwave and fridge in our kitchen, otherwise I would take in home made pies - a favourite lunch for me at the moment. If I have leftovers suitable for microwaving I take them to work, but I must confess I tend to buy my lunch most of the time. Gives me an excuse to get out of the office!
What about Maddy's bacon & cheese rolls? My kids love them in their lunchboxes - also Amy's cheese & zucchini mini quiches, you could make them as larger quiches to take to work.
What does your work provide Kath? We don't even get tea, coffee or milk, have to bring your own everything!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 04:44:06 am »
I always try and make extra so I can have leftovers, even if it's just roast meat sandwiches I can heat up in the microwave. I also bring a few biscuits with vegemite and a small container of CADA and home made yogurt for afternoon tea. If I've got no leftovers I'll quite often have a sandwiche I can toast, sometimes as boring as vegimite but I hate paying for lunches.

I normally browse the internet  while eating lunch.

Offline KathD11

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 12:48:44 pm »
Pies! Yum! Unfortunately my work doesnt have an oven, just a microwave and fridge/freezer. Was thinking about taking some sorbet in but I dont know how much will be eaten by others (we do have a food thief/thieves  :-\)

Deedub we get our coffee, tea & milk supplied, we even have a tea lady who comes around and stocks it all each day. She is nearly 80 and has been at my work for over 40 years. She is hilarious and has no problem telling our CEO her opinion.

I love maddy's bacon & cheese rolls, I will have to get super organised and make a double batch, my DD and DH scoffed them all in one day last time I made them.

Thanks for the ideas!

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 01:00:22 pm »
I'd definitley recommend the recipe for zucchini, cheese and bacon quiches I posted Kath, they are delicious hot or cold ;)
I usually make a big batch of pasta fagioli for my mum and SD to take to work for their lunches. It can be eaten hot or cold too. If you don't like the fagioli, I'm sure other pasta dishes would be yummy too :)