Author Topic: Healthy "Chocolate" Truffles from earth mumma  (Read 14613 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Healthy "Chocolate" Truffles from earth mumma
« on: May 16, 2010, 03:00:05 am »
Hi Cathy

Here it is. Easy peasy and very yummy to boot.  Guilt free healthy chocolate treats.

“Chocolate” Truffles

Ingredients:

80 gm pitted dates
110gm biodynamic/organic sultanas
1tbl boiling water
1tbl unsweetened cocoa powder
45gm organic milk powder
60gm organic desiccated coconut
Extra coconut for rolling the balls in

Method:

Place dates and sultanas in TM bowl, 6-10 sec speed 7 (until finely chopped).
Add boiling water and leave to soak for a few minutes.
Add cocoa powder, milk powder and coconut, 5 secs speed 6. (Add more water if too dry)
Roll/squash into balls and roll in extra coconut.
Store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2wks. (Ha ha  :D :D :D)
Makes about 16 walnut sized balls.

For a dairy free option try replacing the milk powder with almond or cashew meal.

Adapted from Julie Maree Wood with Antonia Kidman “Feeding fussy Kids”.

members' comments

cathy79 - You're right about it being sweet! Too sweet for me!  I guess that's the sultanas so next time I'd probably halve the sultanas.  My mix was too moist and sticky to roll so I added some pumpkin seeds which also helped with the sweetness.  Actually, some tahini would help too and a healthy addition.
You're right about it being sweet!   Lips Sealed  Too sweet for me!  I guess that's the sultanas, so next time, I'd probably halve the sultanas.  My mix was too moist and sticky to roll, so I added some pumpkin seeds, which also helped with the sweetness.  Actually, some tahini would help too, and a healthy addition. Very easy and a healthy alternative to chocolate.
There's lots of possibilities with this recipe.  Following suggestions from Quirky Jo's Raw Cacao balls, sunflower seeds are a good substitute for nuts too.  Also a good dairy free option.

Carrie - I only used 80g of sultanas and also added 20g each of hazelnut and almond meals (ground in TMX and set aside before starting with dates and sultanas) and it's quite nice, it has the same texture and almost the exact flavour of rum-less rum balls.
Would be a good recipe to make kid's rumballs for Christmas. DS quite liked his 'special chocolate balls'.

Kimberley -  delicious, thank you. Miss3 has been asking for more 'chocolate balls'!

Brumington -My boys 2 & 4 love these. They have them as a treat if they do well at dinner! I love them too as a quick chocolate fix in the evening.  So good that they contain no fat or sugar.

Monicat -  they are very yummy. Just wanted to suggest that if you want to do a double batch, do it in two separate lots because the TMX struggled to handle a double load of this super sticky mix.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:46:00 am by judydawn »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Healthy "Chocolate" Truffles from earth mumma
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 06:53:48 am »
I saw these and thought at the time that I need to find out if I can post like you have Mr T or is it a moderator option as I thought these needed their own post  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:16:05 am »
Simple faffa_70.  Anyone can do.

Just click on the QUOTE button, the click anywhere in the box.  Hit CTRL-A - to Select ALL, CTR:-C to Copy.  Go to a New Topic in whatever thread it should be & CTRL-V to paste in the box, go to the bottom and cut the [/quote] then paste it next to the first part with the quote box, enter a subject heading - done.

By moving the [/quote] it allows the original to be traced, but the text is not small and in a grey box.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 03:54:31 am »
Thanks for converting this Earth Mumma - finally got around to trying last night.

You're right about it being sweet!   :-X  Too sweet for me!  I guess that's the sultanas, so next time, I'd probably halve the sultanas.  My mix was too moist and sticky to roll, so I added some pumpkin seeds, which also helped with the sweetness.  Actually, some tahini would help too, and a healthy addition.

Very easy and a healthy alternative to chocolate.

There's lots of possibilities with this recipe.  Following suggestions from Quirky Jo's Raw Cacao balls, sunflower seeds are a good substitute for nuts too.  Also a good dairy free option.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Carrie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 07:48:41 am »
DS will love these, thanks for the recipe!

Will try halving the sultanas like Cathy suggests.
Mama at home with my 4yo additive sensitive son, feeding family of 3 and a furbaby easily with my Thermie.

Offline Carrie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 04:42:13 am »
I made these today.

I only used 80g of sultanas, and also added 20g each of hazelnut and almond meals (ground in TMX and set aside before starting with dates and sultanas) and it's quite nice, it has the same texture and almost the exact flavour of rum-less rum balls.

Would be a good recipe to make kid's rumballs for Christmas. DS quite liked his 'special chocolate balls'. ;)
Mama at home with my 4yo additive sensitive son, feeding family of 3 and a furbaby easily with my Thermie.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 10:34:07 am »
Good thinking Carrie - perfect for the kidlets, while oldies get stuck into the grog filled versions.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Kimberley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 04:44:53 am »
Made these today, delicious, thank you. Miss3 has been asking for more 'chocolate balls'!

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 11:53:55 am »
My boys 2 & 4 love these. They have them as a treat if they do well at dinner! I love them too as a quick chocolate fix in the evening.  So good that they contain no fat or sugar.

Offline Monicat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 12:33:17 pm »
I made these again today, they are very yummy :)  Just wanted to suggest that if you want to do a double batch, do it in two separate lots because the TMX struggled to handle a double load of this super sticky mix.

Offline classmyth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 02:42:26 am »
Great! I had converted this recipe too, but had got 140g sultanas from "1 cup" instead of 110g, and the result was way too sweet and sultana-y, so I'm looking forward to trying this version!