Author Topic: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?  (Read 439223 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?
« Reply #885 on: May 03, 2014, 07:47:02 am »
Pulled out the tomato plants, picked silver beet for dinner.  Cold and raining now. 

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #886 on: May 03, 2014, 07:53:54 am »
Wow that's cool Cookie.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #887 on: May 03, 2014, 11:01:25 am »
Great photo Cookie  ;D

We are using carrots, spinach  & silverbeet.  Turning cold here also Chookie  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: May 03, 2014, 12:28:41 pm »
It is in a fairly sheltered spot, right near a fence. During the summer it gets the reflected heat from the fence. We give it plenty of water.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: May 03, 2014, 02:46:00 pm »
Wow Cookie that's amazing, I have never seen a pineapple growing before. Thanks.
Denise

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #890 on: May 04, 2014, 01:26:12 am »
The yard of our old chook shed,  which we no longer use,  has grown the best lot of silver beet.  I used to give the chooks the waste from the veggie garden and the silver beet has self seeded. 

mcmich

« Reply #891 on: May 04, 2014, 10:31:06 pm »
Lucky you Chookie.   :D   I would love to have something like that happen in my backyard.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: May 05, 2014, 12:31:03 am »
You should all try to see if you can grow a pineapple. All you have to do is cut the top off and stick it into the ground, well that is what I used  to do. Might not grow in some places but worth a try. Maybe could be done in a sunny spot in a pot inside. Fun to watch anyway.

I had quite a few growing but eventually got rid of them as they take up a lot of room and are very sharp and bite you.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: May 05, 2014, 12:39:44 am »
Looks wonderful Chookie.  I have planted some garlic that sprouted, its doing well.
Denise

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: May 05, 2014, 01:56:24 am »
My Mum has pineapples growing next door
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: May 05, 2014, 05:05:30 am »
You should all try to see if you can grow a pineapple. All you have to do is cut the top off and stick it into the ground, well that is what I used  to do. Might not grow in some places but worth a try. Maybe could be done in a sunny spot in a pot inside. Fun to watch anyway.

I had quite a few growing but eventually got rid of them as they take up a lot of room and are very sharp and bite you.

Gert

That's all we have done Gert. It is getting hard to buy pineapples with tops over here. We've found it good to have it where it gets reflected heat. At the other house they were just in the garden and never fruited.
You are certainly right about them biting, especially the ones with the serrated leaves.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: May 05, 2014, 01:52:07 pm »

Gert

Sprung, Gert!  Here you've been trying to convince us for ages that gardening was not your thing -  couldn't grow anything! And here you are growing pineapples!! If you can grow pineapples, I daresay you can grow anything!!   Methinks you  have just been hiding your talents under the proverbial bush!! ;D ;D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: May 05, 2014, 02:00:45 pm »

Gert

Sprung, Gert!  Here you've been trying to convince us for ages that gardening was not your thing -  couldn't grow anything! And here you are growing pineapples!! If you can grow pineapples, I daresay you can grow anything!!   Methinks you  have just been hiding your talents under the proverbial bush!! ;D ;D

Ok goldfish I confess. I used to lop off the top of the pineapples toss them Into the jungle and they grew like  anything. A no brainer.

Now I was told it was impossible to grow garlic in Cairns. Some try by planting it in a pot them putting the pot in the fridge at night. Seems crazy to me but........

You have seen pics of my garden and believe me plants will grow. I just cannot grow food except for pineapples which I have stopped planting.  If  the humidity doesn't kill it then  the grasshoppers will eat it.  Anyway I really hate putting my hands in the dirt. Occasionally. I will really try but it is a thankless task as I do  not have an affinity with the earth.

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: May 06, 2014, 11:20:10 am »
We have two in our yard. They take about 18 months to fruit. We took another three up to the community garden recently.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
« Reply #899 on: May 06, 2014, 11:22:00 am »
DH got a load of dirt in the weekend for our garden bed. The kids chose flowers for it. Echinaceas, marigolds and gerberas etc. I planted out the veggie garden with lettuces, parsley and lime basil. Smells delicious.