Author Topic: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?  (Read 442148 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2012, 10:42:39 pm »
Everything in my veg patch is popping up, looking great.

My corriander which is in the shade is doing well, growing & still alive. Hope it stays that way. Hate paying $3 for a tiny bunch.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2012, 11:59:26 pm »
Agree about the coriander.  Was reading somewhere recently that you can freeze fresh chopped herbs in ice cube trays , pop the herbs in and then top with either olive oil or melted butter and freeze.  Great idea. 
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2012, 12:59:37 am »
Yesterday I purchased some seeds from Lambly Nursery in Victoria.  It's the first time he has vegie seeds for sale but after reading and also seeing his success on his blog and also DVD's decided to try his.  He imports the seeds from growers who guarantee it's germination rate.  I also brought lots of tomato seeds in Italy so can't wait to try them out.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2012, 01:27:48 am »
sounds good Jude.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2012, 04:04:07 am »
Just got the diggers spring catalogue in the mail today.  Love getting them to see what they have new.  Love the egg carton idea Jude, can you let us know how they go.  I've got heaps of cartons because none of the chooks are laying.  13 hens and not one egg.  Not sure what is happening there.

Haven't been down to diggers for a long time, will have to make a trip for some inspiration.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2012, 04:18:36 am »
we have 9 chickens, 1 rooster and get about 8 eggs a day.... :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2012, 05:08:48 am »
That's good going Obbie with the eggs.  Sat down and had a good talk to the girls this morning and if they don't start laying they may become chicken soup.   :o

They should be laying.  The only think I can think of is something is eating the eggs, but I haven't seen any evidence of this, broken shell etc.

I hate buying eggs at the supermarket, they just don't compare to a truly fresh egg, laid by happy hens.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2012, 06:54:58 am »
I wish the weather would warm up down here then I might feel like getting stuck into the Veggie patch.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2012, 12:44:38 pm »
Not as exotic as your patch Obbie, but my little patch is doing OK despite some neglect. Loads of kale, spinach, rocket and some lettuce and peas in today's bucket.
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2012, 02:52:45 am »
Looking good DJinni

[/url

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2012, 04:33:53 am »
Chookie has a persuasive way with unco-operative hens, Keiramax - as I recall, it has something to do with leaving an axe in full view of the hens by the gate of their coop!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2012, 05:50:35 am »
Jude, otherwise just chop up the herbs and fill the ice trays with water and freeze.

Works well.

My sister just popped in,  So great.. I gave her heaps of avocados and bananas to take home. :)

[/url

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2012, 10:38:12 pm »
Marina is right about the axe.  Ha.  Keiramax if you have been getting eggs and then suddenly none, something odd there.  Sometimes they stop laying if very cold.  Usually if old,  it happens gradually. 
Love Lambly,  beautiful garden to visit. 
the egg carton idea does work,  have used it many times to start seeds offinside.   the Center out of toilet rolls even better.  Bind 5 together with a rubber band,  fill with seed raising mix,  pop seed in and water.  Stand up on plastic butter container.  You get nice long roots. 
OH to have avos and bananas.  This is the stuff of dreams.
I took home made berry jam to WA for CP 63.   There is nothing quite like it.  I think she was going to hide it at the back of the fridge !!!!!   Still not warm enough to plant out here.  After Cup day is traditionally the time.    Could hear the cockiest making one heck of a noise yesterday,  They were pulling out the Daffs and eating the bulbs.  Hate these birds.  A few years ago they attacked the window frames.
Still getting silverbeet , parsley and Lemons.  Lots of ground cress.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2012, 11:45:47 pm »
Djini, do you spray your greens with anything? I have green smoothies everyday so go through the greens quickly but each time I've tried to grow them they get eaten so much indeed to spray all the time. Yours look wonderful.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2012, 12:07:40 am »
Wonder, the only thing that has not been mauled by possums or various aphids/other living creatures is kale!! Growing beautifully intact.

Btw, my mint leaves have a bit of white in them. What does this mean? Cannot spot the culprits.