Author Topic: Good morning from Wyoming  (Read 4938 times)

Offline RudiOfWyo

• View Profile
Good morning from Wyoming
« on: June 12, 2009, 05:16:02 pm »
I congratulate all in the US who have triumphed over the arcane and inscrutably irrational marketing strategies of Vorwerk and acquired a "31" in the 240 volt configuration so tantalisingly discussed by the eminent Raymond Sokolov in the May 1 Wall Street Journal.  Wow!!!  After fruitlessly wending my way through various "official" contact numbers and sites only to end up repeatedly at the same end-point to hear or read that "you cannot have it in the US", I finally got one on order, boarded a plane, picked up the machine from the concierge at my hotel, checked in for my return flight, brought the machine and its invoice to customs at the airport in Europe, received my VAT refund certificate, went through airport security and boarded my plane--all without a hitch.  Once in the US, however, TSA felt constrained to open the factory sealed carton and examine the machine and the sum of the parts--coincidentally, my first view of the "31" itself.  That was the only rough patch and only in the sense that I missed a connecting flight.  For the first time, I could see why Mr. Sokolov had to deploy his pliers and scissors to create a connector that would fit his US outlet.  The short electrical cord that comes with the machine is probably the only design flaw. 

I am interested to hear from users of favorite recipes and any particular problems that they may have had to deal with in fine tuning recipes from existing texts.  I am still in the process of preliminarily adjusting some recipes to take into consideration the fact that my state is more that a mile above sea level.  I will keep you informed.

By the way, if you have had similar experiences to mine in bringing in a "31" and wish to share them with us, I would me more than pleased to hear from you.

RudiOfWyo

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Good morning from Wyoming
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 12:49:22 am »
wow, sounds like quite an escapade!!

welcome RudiOfWyo
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 01:11:23 am »
No wonder it's not taking off in the US - welcome Rudi and hope it is smoother sailing from here.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 02:05:30 am »
Boy Rudi, you must have really wanted a TMX to go to all that trouble ;) ;) Good for you and we hope you can now just enjoy the fun part - using it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 03:49:57 am »
Hi Rudi, nice to meet you.  Two of us are from the Philadelphia area, one from NYC.  That's it! 

I have some recipes I've played with HERE.  

You've stumbled on a pretty great group here, very cooperative, helpful, and informative.  Hope you can stick around a bit.

Offline Master Moderator

• Thermomix Recipes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Thermomix
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 11:06:46 am »
Welcome Rudi. I think your TMX adventure could well be made into a major Hollywood film.

Have a fab time here

Admin :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 01:24:27 pm »
Gee Rudi, you must have really wanted a Thermomix. Welcome to the group of enthusiasts.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 10:05:59 pm »
Wow!  Now that's dedication.  I'm sure you're not going to regret it, though.  Incidentally, if you know anyone else who wants one, unless things have changed you can get them from Canada.

So now I'm really interested to know who Raymond Sokolov is, and what he does with a thermomix ....

Welcome, Rudi!  Hope you enjoy your TMX, and the forum.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 10:26:01 pm »
Rudi, is there a reason you wanted the 220 version as opposed to the 110? 

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 02:43:10 am »
Oh, no! I read about that, but the DH found a site in British Columbia that would ship it to us. Shipping and duty were included in price and we got it in about a week. I do not know if I am allowed to post the weblink, but a search on Fantan Thermomix should find them

Mine is 110 V and everything was in English.
Aunt Annie