Author Topic: Recipe review - In The Mix 1, Green Apple Sorbet, Butterscotch foam etc  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
I made this dessert on Friday night for our Taste of Tassie dinner. I choose it as I wanted something with apples & honey (both abundant in Tassie). It has 5 layers, but each layer was easy and I made a couple of things in advance.

First layer was Apple compote - it was quick and easy to make.

Second layer was custard - I had problems here as the custard is made with cream, egg yolks, vanilla and sugar (no cornflour). After I'd made the custard it was very runny, but I followed the instructions and placed it in the fridge to chill and firm up. After hours it was still runny and wasn't going to set, so I placed it back into Thermie with some cornflour. I must have heated it on too high a temp as it split. I chucked it away and made the thick and creamy custard from the automatic recipe in the TM5 chip.  This custard was too firm, but it didn't matter and no one noticed (except me).

The next layer was green apple sorbet - the sorbet was lush and tasted wonderful in its own, unfortunately I thought it's flavour was lost in amongst the other flavours in the finished dessert.

Next layer was butterscotch foam - OMG! You make heaps of this as you need to fill one of those foam/cream guns to get the "foam" effect. I had to tip the rest of it away yesterday, to stop me eating it straight out the fridge.

On top was cake crumbs - made by making a spiced honey cake, blitzing it into crumbs and then drying them out in the oven. It seemed a bit of a waste to me to turn a lovely cake into crumbs, but it worked and gave texture to the finished dessert.

Everyone loved it! Unfortunately you can't really see all the layers in my photo.

Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe review - In The Mix 1, Green Apple Sorbet, Butterscotch foam etc
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 08:31:55 am »
I'm glad your visitors enjoyed it Katie, good on you for going to so much trouble although you made it sound easy. Did you buy the foam gun especially for this recipe?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 09:48:24 am »
Sounds great Katie, the whole menu does.  I would love a foam gun.
Denise

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 12:20:18 pm »
It's sounds a smashing dessert Katie.Well done on cooking all the components. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 07:25:47 am »
I'm glad your visitors enjoyed it Katie, good on you for going to so much trouble although you made it sound easy. Did you buy the foam gun especially for this recipe?

Yes Judy I did buy the foam gun to make this recipe. I used the POK voucher I received in our Tassie voucher swap. I have wanted to buy one for awhile.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 07:39:58 am »
Very timely gift then Katie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 08:25:52 am »
Katie congratulations on doing such a multi stage dessert. I can almost taste it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 08:36:18 am »
That's a fabulous effort, Katie!!  I'm sure your guests were very impressed with such a lovely meal!!  :D