Author Topic: Bread HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 3221 times)

Offline passionflower

• View Profile
    • My Many Passions
Bread HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: September 04, 2011, 07:55:55 pm »
After a week of successful bread baking and cooking with my new thermie, today I made a loaf of bread that looks quite wrong. I mean it raise ok and it has the right texture not heavy at all but it has split on one side while cooking. What I have been doing wrong all of a sudden? I hope you can tell me. xx
ETA: Looking at this picture you might not realise that this is actually the side of the loaf (Bad angle). I used Issi normal bread and made rolls with half the dough and a smallish loaf.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:58:44 pm by passionflower »
Visit my papercrafting blog
http://www.monicas-passions.blogspot.com

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
Re: Bread HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 08:16:49 pm »
Could be that you have used to much yeast or the bread have not rested enough before you baked it. Can also be that it has not been kneaded enough and therefore havent made long enough gluten strings to hold the structure.
Anyway i think it looks like a nice bread and i think a crack in the side has very little importance as long as the bread tastes good :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:52:21 pm »
All of what Bluesed are possible.  Sone 1cm. Deep slashes across the top before baking might prevent this happening.    Looks like not enough proving before you put it in the oven.  Try again as Isi's recipe is good.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:58:26 pm »
Thanks for this posting, passionflower, because this often happens to my bread as well so now I know theprobable causes of it and how to rectify it.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline passionflower

• View Profile
    • My Many Passions
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 11:58:28 pm »
Thank you guys I did a bit of reading on it and found out that this could happen if using 100%wholemeal which I did!! Apparently there isn't enough gluten in the wholemeal flower to work so this could be a cause. As I said this is not the first time I baked this bread I made it three times now without any problems but thinking about it I always used either white or half white and half wholemeal before. It taste ok so I wont let it bother me much I was just curious to see why this has happened.
Visit my papercrafting blog
http://www.monicas-passions.blogspot.com