Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 8986151 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #33960 on: December 21, 2019, 05:27:18 am »
Mab, I have posted a recipe for rolls made in TMX and cooked in AF.   It is one of the most popular recipes on my blog. Just use your favourite bread recipe. 1/2 recipe.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What are you cooking today?
« Reply #33961 on: December 21, 2019, 11:16:19 am »
The rolls look lovely Margaret.
I cooked the shortbread, that I made the other day, this afternoon. I put little trees and a boot on them.

Also the fruit mince tarts I did the other day. I put a marzipan star on them.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 11:18:03 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33962 on: December 21, 2019, 09:29:24 pm »
Fabulous cooking girls.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #33963 on: December 21, 2019, 09:48:28 pm »
Very festive Cookie  :D  Did you make the marzipan?  Have always wondered what Tenina's recipe would be like but have never made it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33964 on: December 22, 2019, 02:56:16 am »
Yes JulieO. I used Tenina's recipe and then made the rest into biscuits. I find I like Tenina's recipes as we always like them and they work for me. I usually fiddle with them, reduce the sugar, or fat or cheese. It makes them a bit more healthy.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #33965 on: December 22, 2019, 04:14:36 am »
I've not made many Tenina recipes that I haven't liked Cookie though the garlic butter rolls yesterday I was disappointed with.  Absolutely love the garlic butter bit (done on the stove top) and will make that part again to use for other things.

The rolls looked great and I added the amount of garlic butter stated within the dough (about 110g) but after baking you are supposed to brush the remaining butter over the top of the just baked rolls.  It was a lot of butter (another 110g) and I just couldn't bring myself to use so much.  I guess as a consequence the rolls tasted a bit dry. :-\  I have frozen them and they will be used up but I much prefer Chookie's rolls that are just beautiful or the rosemary buttered rolls I sometimes make.  Anyway, I like trying new recipes as you sometimes find a gem.  :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33966 on: December 22, 2019, 11:44:47 am »
I’m with you on that Julie, it’s so hard to add more butter or cream to a recipe than you feel comfortable with (for me, especially keto recipes) as I’m not used to eating such richness. I had set Christmas Day as my last day on Keto but the heat really knocked me and adding rich foods made me feel worse. I’m now just watching what I eat and eating less of everything, still
not eating high carb foods though. If I don’t feel hungry I skip a meal. I can now eat 1/2 a low carb wrap with ham, cheese, lettuce and tomato and that lasts me until tea time and that can be as late as 7.30 depending on what time I get home and what I have to do before I even think of a meal.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #33967 on: December 22, 2019, 09:04:08 pm »
I can totally relate Judy.  I have been eating 'lightly' for nearly 7 years now and is now my way of life. I didn't want to go on another diet where I would lose weight then stop the diet and the weight gradually come back on, that had happened so many times before, so I knew I needed a lifestyle change, one I would follow for the rest of my life. That was 7 years ago, I lost 40kg over the course of a year with eating well and early morning walks and I've kept it off completely.  I fluctuate between 52.5kg and 54 which I'm quite happy with. 

I never feel like I'm missing out because if there's something I want I will have a small amount of it so I never feel deprived, but a lot of things don't draw me in like they used to. I love bread but will only have it sparingly as well as desserts etc.  It's been interesting to me the last few days especially where I've been making sweet stuff and yes I have tasted it, you have to but I don't get the urge to have more like I once would have.  I could never go back to the old me, I enjoy my life so much better now.

I was on the borderline of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes 2 before this and now everything is 'perfect' according to my doctor. That is incentive enough to know what I'm doing is working for me.  :)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 09:16:24 pm by JulieO »

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #33968 on: December 23, 2019, 12:19:43 am »
Mab, I have posted a recipe for rolls made in TMX and cooked in AF.   It is one of the most popular recipes on my blog. Just use your favourite bread recipe. 1/2 recipe.
I'm a bit late but thank you for the recipe Chookie.  I will try it after the silly season is over.

I have started preparing for Christmas Day.  Made 3 bases for dessert at the weekend.  Will make a vegan cheesecake today, prepare some of the vegetables and finish setting up the tables. 
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #33969 on: December 24, 2019, 06:47:48 am »
Julie, that is wonderful and very sensible.  Judy, I have been wondering how you were going.  You looked very good in your Mums Birthday photo.
Garlic Bread? It is the first thing to disappear from the buffet table.  I make bread sticks, 3 from 500 g flour. ( or Cookies Vienna bread recipe)  Mash several cloves of garlic into 250 g butter with pepper and salt. Slice bread right through at an angle and butter one side. Place firmly together and wrap in foil. Freeze or use within 2 days.  To reheat slightly unwrap the top and heat in a hot oven or AF. The bread crisps up and the butter melts.  Leftovers can be grilled and served as Bruschetta. .

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What are you cooking today?
« Reply #33970 on: December 24, 2019, 11:49:08 am »
Congratulations JulieO. I didn’t learn early enough and have diabetes. Fortunately my lovely GP picked it up very early and I control it with diet. I have lost 20kg and maintain my blood sugar below or round 5. I also exercise which I really hate but is keeps the blood sugar down.

Today I did a rolled chicken breast stuffed with an invented stuffings and pistachios and cranberries, a steamed sort of meat loaf thing based on the one in the little Festive booklet that Tenina did, it has cranberries and pistachios in too. I made a potato salad, the yummy rice salad from here, Tenina’s raw energy beetroot salad, a four bean salad, fruit salad and trifle. I slow roasted some Roma tomatoes with garlic, chilli and EVOO in the new microwave, using the convection part. I think that is about all. At least I don’t have to cook for a couple of days.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 11:50:51 am by cookie1 »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33971 on: December 24, 2019, 12:18:43 pm »
That all sounds lovely cookie, do you just do what you want or do DH and DD put their requests in?
You’ve done really well with losing 20 kg.  I’ve added my comments to Julie re the weight loss conversation over at Anything goes for Uni.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33972 on: December 25, 2019, 12:02:47 pm »
I usually think about what we will have Judy and run it by DD and DH. They add or subtract. DH’s only request is that it is all gone by Boxing Day night. My brother is coming over for lunch tomorrow so he and his wife will put a good dent in it.
I made a Nutella Icecream cake last weekend, for us to have over Christmas. We finished it on Christmas Eve! By the time we all had a tiny bit each night it soon disappeared.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33973 on: December 25, 2019, 09:55:02 pm »
Ha ha, the ice-cream must have been delicious cookie.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #33974 on: December 26, 2019, 05:32:04 am »
Cookie, you are amazing.  I knew you had lost some weight but that is great.  I lost 20 k years ago but have put most back on.  I now intend to get rid of it again. I have lost 8 Ks but it is slow and intend to go to the Gym next year to speed things up. I admire all you who lose weight as you are all good cooks.  I do find it hard to do the exercise necessary.  I think as you get older this is difficult. I manage 6000 steps a day and part of this is on the walking machine.  I stick the iPad on the machine and pick a uTube or SBS on demand and watch this. Must eat less. I