Author Topic: Carrot, Spice and Yoghurt Cake *with photo*  (Read 11788 times)

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
Carrot, Spice and Yoghurt Cake *with photo*
« on: January 13, 2010, 07:59:16 am »
I have been making this cake for yonks so I thought I would try converting it :)

Carrot, Spice and Yoghurt Cake
100g Walnuts (optional)
260g Carrots
4 Eggs
250g Vegetable Oil
250g Yoghurt
310g Self Raising Flour
2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
150g Dark Brown Sugar (or Substitute, I do sometimes drop this right down to 100g)

Preheat oven to 160C, Grease and line a deep 22cm tin (or equivalent).
If using walnuts chop for 1 second speed 4. Set aside.
Grate peeled/unpeeled carrots for 2 seconds on speed 5. Set aside with walnuts.
Mix Eggs, Oil  and Yoghurt for 5 seconds on speed 7.
Add Flour, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Sugar. Mix for 5 seconds on speed 5, scrape down sides and mix again for 2 seconds on speed 5 if needed.
Add Grated Carrot and Walnuts (if using) and mix on  :-: + speed 4 for 5 seconds.
Tip into tin and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until skewer comes out clean, leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning out to cool completely.

Top with Cream Cheese Icing.

Mines baking in the oven now, wanted to type this up while my boys were snoozing, will be back later to post photo :)

Adapted from a book called Quick and Easy Cakes.

Note - Is quite moist the next day, will drop carrot down to 260 g next time like it is in the original recipe.

members' comments

Kali Ma - In the oven at the moment. I only wanted a small amount so did half a recipe. I also couldn't be bothered doing the walnuts/carrots then tipping them into a bowl etc so I simply combined mine on reverse for the steps following chopping the walnuts and carrots. I just don't think TMXing the cake does is justice... But I've yet to figure out why/what step.. When made 'normally is light and not dense at all.. My fav cake in fact. And although its edible done in the TMX its not FANTASTIC like it usually is..

Jabba - I made this yesterday but it didn't go too well.  I'm not sure the carrot was grated fine enough (and I tm-ed it longer than instructions) and as a result it was quite dense and the mixture didn't taste sweet enough.  As a result, the nutmeg really overpowered it.
Maybe grating instructions need tweaking?

Snoozie - It is very dense but I think it's quite nice.  DD is eating it!  I only put 100 g sugar in and made them muffin sized.

courton - I have just finished baking this cake. I reduced the oil to 210 g and might try reducing it even more next time. I did have to blitz the carrots a few more seconds than stated in the recipe.  It is dense but carrot cakes usually are. I had a very tiny bite and it was fine.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:18:35 am by judydawn »
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
Re: Carrot, Spice and Yoghurt Cake *with photo*
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 09:06:39 am »
Another photo  ;)
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline Kali Ma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 09:18:05 am »
Mmmm my favourite.. So yours for morning tea tomorrow hey..  :P

Thanks for TMXing the recipe..  :-*

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 09:22:47 am »
:-* will bring some to the park ;)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 10:07:43 am »
mmmmmm
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 11:50:08 pm »
Great work Babymaker - looks great - well converted
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 05:22:15 am »
Is quite moist the next day, will drop carrot down to 260g next time like it is in the original recipe.

Offline Kali Ma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 05:00:16 am »
In the oven at the moment.
I only wanted a small amount so did half a recipe.

I also couldnt be bothered doing the walnuts/carrots then tipping them into a bowl etc so i simply combined mine on reverse for the steps following chopping the walnuts and carrots.

:)

Offline Jabba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 07:01:10 am »
I made this yesterday but it didn't go too well.   :(   ???

I'm not sure the carrot was grated fine enough (and I tm-ed it longer than instructions) and as a result it was quite dense and the mixture didn't taste sweet enough.  As a result, the nutmeg really overpowered it.

Maybe grating instructions need tweaking?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 12:15:50 pm »
I haven't made this cake Jabba, but when I grate carrot in the TMX I usually blitz it a bit and look and see if it's grated enough for me. It is possible that the 2 seconds isn't enough to break it all up into small pieces.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jabba

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 12:24:25 pm »
Yes, thanks cookie1, I had a look at the carrot and then kept going for a few more seconds because it still looked too chunky.  It was then a little finer but I guess I should have kept going a little longer.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 11:45:12 pm »
For cakes the carrot can be blitzed a fair bit without becoming slush.  The same with beetroot - they don't get mushy. Other things though - beware.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 11:55:37 am »
It is very dense but I think ir's quite nice.  DD is eating it!  I only put 100gr sugar in and made them muffin sized.

Offline Kali Ma

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 12:39:51 pm »
I just dont think TMXing the cake does is justice... But ive yet to figure out why/what step..

When made 'normally is light and not dense at all.. My fav cake in fact. And although its edible done in the TMX its not FANTASTIC like it usually is..

hmmm.... ???

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 01:17:40 pm »
Kali Ma: I have had a similar issue with my cupcake mix... they were not light like they normally are made in the mixmaster.  Not sure why either!