Author Topic: Highlight Cake  (Read 14310 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Highlight Cake
« on: February 13, 2010, 02:29:18 pm »
So called because it rises high and it's light!

1 1/2 cups castor sugar (made in TMX)
250g soft butter
4 eggs
4 Tbsp custard powder
1 cup milk
2 cups Self Raising (I use 1 cup spelt and 1 cup plain with 2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp bi-carb)
2 dessertspoons of vanilla

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and grease and line two deep 20cm cake tins or 1 baking dish.

Combine all ingredients in  *: in order and mix at speed 4  - 5 for 5 minutes. Pour into tin/s and bake for about 40 - 45 minutes for two tins and 1 hour for one large tin.

Great for birthday cakes.

members' comments

faffa - and the variations go like this...

Replace the custard powder with cocoa and you have chocolate cake.

Replace the milk with fresh orange juice and a little zest and you have orange cake.

1 cup of coconut can be added to any of the recipes for a nice change, will just make the cake a little denser.

This has been the base of all my kids birthday cakes for the last 19 years.

Pam H - I made this cake yesterday and it looked beautiful as it came out the oven (skewer came out clean, bounced back when touched )but then it just sank down, down, down. Do you know what I did wrong? Actually every time I use the TM to make a cake it seems to happen so I must be doing something wrong, can someone help please?

VHJ - very interesting that you say this Pam. I've made this cake for years but not in the TMX. Last weekend I tried it in the TMX & I had the same thing as you. Bounced back & skewer came out clean. When I turned it out it had two air pockets underneath- I will give the tin a light tap on the bench before I cook it next time to fix that but mine was in fact undercook right through the middle. (It instantly became a fudge cake & my boys polished it off)
I intend to try it again & just go by cooking time not cake response to touch.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:13:33 am by judydawn »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Re: Highlight Cake
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 02:37:57 pm »
I've got this recipe as well meganjane and it's a great cake. Not sure how or where I got the recipe but think it's a remnant from country living as I've handwritten it and had it for years. We lived north & you live south so it's got around!! Great idea to post it as it will be perfect for the TMX. You've inspired to to make it tomorrow- thanks  :D :D
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 12:12:29 pm »
I also have this recipe given to me by an Aunt about 38 years ago.  It is lovely.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 01:56:52 pm »
 :D It's amazing how these recipes keep going around and around. It's a sign of a good recipe!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 06:09:11 am »
lol I have the same recipe too  :D :D I have been making this since I was about 4 years old with my mum. I knew the recipe off by heart by the time I was 8 and it was my job to make one each weekend  :)

and the variations go like this...

replace the custard powder with cocoa and you have chocolate cake

replace the milk with fresh orange juice and a little zest and you have orange cake

1 cup of coconut can be added to any of the recipes for a nice change, will just make the cake a little denser  ;)

this has been the base of all my kids birthday cakes for the last 19 years   ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 12:15:55 pm »
Maybe it's a West Aussie recipe. :D :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 12:31:56 pm »
ROFLMAO  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 01:36:05 pm »
Thanks MJ - I think Stephanie has a similar recipe in her Cooks' Companion?  Sounds grreat
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Pam_H

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 01:40:01 am »
I made this cake yesterday and it looked beautiful as it came out the oven (skewer came out clean, bounced back when touched)but then it just sank down down down :o ??? do you know what I did wrong? Actually every time I use the TM to make a cake it seems to happen so I must be doing something wrong, can someone help please

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 03:35:33 am »
I made this cake yesterday and it looked beautiful as it came out the oven (skewer came out clean, bounced back when touched)but then it just sank down down down :o ??? do you know what I did wrong? Actually every time I use the TM to make a cake it seems to happen so I must be doing something wrong, can someone help please
very interesting that you say this Pam. I've made this cake for years but not in the TMX. Last weekend I tried it in the TMX & I had the same thing as you. Bounced back & Skewer came out clean. When I turned it out it had two air pockets underneath- I will give the tin a light tap on the bench before I cook it next time to fix that but mine was in fact undercook right through the middle. (It instantly became a fudge cake & my boys polished it off)
i intend to try it again & just go by cooking time not cake response to touch.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Pam_H

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 05:44:40 am »
Thanks Very Happy Jan, I may try again and cook for longer as well, the grandkids ate quite a bit and then we had some for dessert with custard on it, that was tasty,so it wasnt wasted

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 01:03:53 am »
Always good to drop the tins onto the bench to knock out any big bubbles in the mix and avoid huge air pockets - good advice VHJ
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.