Author Topic: Exploring the TM5  (Read 35320 times)

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
Exploring the TM5
« on: August 24, 2016, 02:24:39 am »
Hi All,

My TM5 came last night, I unpack it and put everything in the dishwasher expect the bowl and knife I wash them by hand.

Day one, started out with grinding my coffee beans for french press coffee, that went well, then I tried one of the auto receipts boil white rice, it wasn't bad, but I thought it was a little under cook plus some of the rice stuck to the bottom of the pot, I was surprise that the knife does not spin the complete cooking time.

After dinner I tried the magic bean chocolate cake, the cake went over very well, I had one of my grand daughters plus couple neighbors and my DW as guinea pigs, I was really surprise how good it was, I am not a bean person. Plus my DD (in law) said I should have not told her. I guess adding sugar butter and eggs can make anything good.

PS: I had a opps with the cake I tried to remove it from the pan while it was still hot. Big no no. :-))

Well that’s all for tonight  more TM5 in the US south to come.

Allen

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Exploring the TM5
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 03:14:51 am »
Sounds like you had a great first day! Well done!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 03:18:51 am »
Great to see you get stuck straight into it Allen, enjoy your new kitchen helper.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 09:41:33 am »
Thank you ladies for looking.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 12:24:33 pm »
How exciting Allen. Have fun.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 09:10:30 pm »
A great first days cooking Allen. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 05:00:13 am »
8/24/2016

Today, I tried the Meatballs and tomato sauce in the basic cookbook, for disclosure I have never steam hamburger meat or any red meat as that goes.

By the time I added the soaked bread in milk (squeeze the milk out first) I had a consistency that remind me of step 2 baby food, the next time you are boarded get yourself a jar of step 2 meat baby food and tried to make some 25/50 mm balls. Then it had me grease the Varoma’s bottom and top dish, boy hamburger does not have enough grease (fat) I am thinking. As my new made dish is cooking I am thinking about all that grease dripping in the my tomato sauce, then the chime goes off after 20 min. What I find is a done meatballs, but with a mild taste and lacking in texture and color. The tomato sauce had good flavor and color even with all that extra fat dripping in it. So my culinary skills jump in (or should I say lack of) and I quickly grab my dutch oven, open a jar of spaghetti sauce add the meatballs and the tomato sauce and let them all simmer for couple of hours = good texture and color balls 8). Then came the spaghetti, that went as plan for the most part I was cooking with a thin but thicker gauge than I like, so my cook time need to be about 2 mins longer that I set the time for. My preference is angel hair a very thin gauge of spaghetti

Moment of truth my DW who's not a big spaghetti fan said she like it and it was good because she had not had it for awhile, when I ask her about the meatballs she reply they are really good, I like them a lot (she doesn't like to cook so ALL of my dishes are good) but on a real note it turn out better than I first thought it was going to be, I also like it. Will I steam red meat again? Maybe.

Allen
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:31:09 pm by Allen USA »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 07:21:59 am »
It's a real learning curve isn't it Allen. You will find Thermomix saucy recipes usually taste better the next day.

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 01:12:20 am »
It's a real learning curve isn't it Allen.

Yes, judydawn I have a lot to learn, I still have not gotten the self clean wash, working yet :-[

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 01:15:07 am »
8/25/16

Simple task

Start out with graining my morning coffee beans (not really grinding more like chopping) for dinner I use my TM5 to make cold pasta salad, this is a box mix that starts with boiling water (64 oz), I set it to 10 mins, 212f degrees, speed 1, It took 8:30 mins to reach that temperature then I boil the pasta for 10 mins in reverse. What I learn today was I am able to adjusted time, temp and speed on the fly you can even switch directions. This will be very handy also at 212f (100c) the water just starts to come to a boil, if I want a rapid boil it needs to set to 220F. Am I saving energy? not sure about that, here in the USA most kitchen appliances run on 110V including my TM5, the stove is 220V or natural gas, 220V is more efficient, but the TM5 looks  8) with its red side lights as it heats up and it nice touch screen giving temperature set point and current temperature, timer count down and speed.

This weekend I have some shopping to do, I am looking forward in making, Chocolate mousse, Lobster bisque, New England clam chowder, Strawberry jam, and some Special fried rice.

Allen
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:23:48 am by Allen USA »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 06:37:47 am »
Allen you are certainly trying out your thermomix. A lot of us put boiling water from the kettle into the thermomix for things like pasta.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 07:47:03 pm »
Allen you are certainly trying out your thermomix. A lot of us put boiling water from the kettle into the thermomix for things like pasta.

Hi cookie,
Hum, I was thinking of retiring my kettle, today I made my morning coffee using my TM5 I was able to bring the water to 205f degrees the precise temp need for French Press coffee. I had been thing about buying a electric tea pot for that goal, but now I can save a $100 by using my TM5. So much to learn and thank you for the hint.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:50:23 pm by Allen USA »

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 11:21:43 pm »
8/26/16

Cream of Wheat  (Whole Wheat)

My DW came home and said she would like some cream of wheat, I who obey  ;) (I am still working my DW on the cost of my new toy) so off to the web I go looking for a Thermomax recipe for cream of wheat, I was unable to find one, so here we go making up as I go.

½ cup (4oz) whole red wheat (1 part wheat 5 parts water)
15 sec, speed 10, looking for a coarse chop
Transfer to a bowl
2 and ½ cups (20 oz) of filter water
½ tsp of salt (kosher)
Install butterfly
6 mins, 212f,  ^^  (220f might work better here)
Remove MC, add wheat through top hole (leave MC off)
22 mins, 200f - 205f,  ^^  (I played around here looking for a slow boil)
Cook until you have the consistency that you are looking for.

Top off with Butter, Honey, Sugar, Milk or with some fresh fruit. For me I like honey and butter and my DW likes sugar and milk. It went well there was no burning at the bottom for the bowl and no sticking on the sides, easy clean up. Enjoy

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 11:24:52 pm »
I forgot to add some pictures
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:26:40 pm by Allen USA »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 01:24:10 am »
I've never heard of red wheat Allen so I'm not surprised you couldn't find a recipe for it on line.  Well done you and I hope you racked up a few more brownie points from your wife for your effort.