Author Topic: Anything goes for Uni  (Read 7918597 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Anything goes for Uni
« Reply #38685 on: April 13, 2020, 06:51:34 am »
A lovely attitude Chookie. DH had a melt down this morning. DD has volunteered to go in a 6 month trial where they are giving the flu needle in one arm and a TB one in the other and having blood taken to create a base line. It is to see if the TB inoculation helps build up antibodies in the system  that may be helpful in treating Covid 19. I was going to drive her as she was giving an armful of blood!. DH said he would. Apparently there was a road closure and DH lost it! I think he is very worried about MIL too. DD told him off and they went on their merry way.
We received a phone call the other night to say MIL had an ulcer in the area of her sacrum. This is what ki8lled my Mum as she had the same and it was through to the bone. She ended up with Golden Staph and it basically poisoned her entire system. That sort of upset us all. We are trying to persuade DH to go down and see her, even though they are in lock down. If he insists I think they will let him in, especially if he phones first.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38686 on: April 13, 2020, 07:43:48 am »
So sorry to hear that news cookie, unbelievable for both Mothers to have the same problem.   I hope DH’s phone call will enable some sort of visit, will he wait until all staff are back on the job tomorrow when he could speak to the DON perhaps?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #38687 on: April 13, 2020, 11:30:40 pm »
Cookie, so sorry to hear of your MIL - I do hope that your DH will be permitted to visit her, it will be good for both of them if he can.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #38688 on: April 13, 2020, 11:54:33 pm »
Cookie, it is so stressful, especially when something goes wrong.  Certainly make contact with the nursing home.  Our next door neighbour is in charge of one in Ballarat and said they are bending the rules in some cases. Pat on the back for DD.  We need more people like her. DH , and you, will be missing your social events with the car clubs.  These events are so important to us retirees. Hope the bl+++y bug goes away soon.
Yesterday’s weather was beautiful.  Sunny and warm.  I spent a lot of  time in the veggie garden. Doing things that I am not physically able to do easily. The chooks helped by eating the bugs and worms as I prepared a bed to plant carrots.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #38689 on: April 14, 2020, 02:33:48 am »
Good morning everyone.

Cookie, I'm sorry to hear the news of your MIL, I hope your DH is allowed in to see her.  We have been watching the weather over your way, so glad we are not getting all that heat.  It's a lovely day here, expecting 23 deg.
Not a lot happening here, just pottering about the house doing some small jobs that needed seeing to.
KAtie, you are doing an amazing job with the farm work and a DH who is impatient to get back to work.  Having a DD doing year 12  is stressful enough without this blasted virus making things harder for you.  Make sure you take some time for yourself whenever possible.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #38690 on: April 14, 2020, 02:58:36 am »
Sorry to read of DH not being able to visit his mum Cookie, would be worrying for sure.  Hope it works out okay.

I'm just like most people on here, doing jobs around home and cooking when needed. I've made a few sweet things for the freezer to pop in DH's lunch box which have frozen and defrosted well so will post the links a bit later.  Have taken a few photos of my cooking but not of everything.

I've been enjoying my morning walks more than usual.  There's been some lovely (if cold) mornings but it's been quite beautiful  by the water.  Saw a pod of dolphins this morning frolicking in the still water.  It made me stop and watch them for a few minutes.    :D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 03:00:34 am by JulieO »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38691 on: April 14, 2020, 04:53:50 am »
Thanks everyone, you are so kind. DH rang the nursing home and he is going to see his Mum this afternoon. They will have to chat from afar but at least they can see each other. They said only him but DD is going too. MIL idolises DD so that will really cheer her up. DH will be able to notice any physical changes as he hasn’t seen her for 3-4 weeks.
How is your Mum Judy? Can you chat by phone?

The virus is a bugger but I think Australia is being marvellous and things will improve. Although I feel sorry for Tassie at the moment.
JulieO I’m glad you are enjoying your walk. DD and DH go out every evening and they seem to enjoy it. I stay home and use the treadmill.
Thanks again dear forum friends, what would I do without you?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38692 on: April 14, 2020, 12:55:06 pm »
So glad DH can visit his Mum cookie.  They rang me a little while back and took the phone to Mum so that we could talk but Mum has never been good on the phone so I knew it wouldn’t work.  They held the phone to her ear, I talked to her but there was no response whatsoever.  The lass eventually took the phone, told me that Mum was chewing something and stopped chewing every now and then as if she was listening to me.  So that didn’t work but this morning I rang the RN to organise what they are calling ‘garden visits’ which means they take the resident out into one of the 2 courtyards which front onto the 2 side roads around the home.  I’ll be out on the footpath speaking to my Mum through the wrought iron fence, the garden goes right up to the fence so she may be too far back to even hear me.  It’s hard enough getting her to understand what I’m talking about when I’m sitting right next to her in the lounge so I don’t expect it will be too successful but her eyesight is really good so I might get some reaction when she sees me.  I can but try with this new opportunity to have my first contact with her in over 3 weeks since lockdown began.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #38693 on: April 14, 2020, 02:31:55 pm »
Cookie and Judy I hope your DM are ok and the visits work out . Must be so hard but we are all doing this for them so let’s hope it works .
Another nice warm day , lettting the fire burn slowly till tonight.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38694 on: April 14, 2020, 05:53:07 pm »
Sorry to hear the news about your MIL Cookie. I hope the visit by your DH and DD has lifted her spirits.

Just appalling deaths here in the UK.😢 Stay safe my friends. 😘
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #38695 on: April 15, 2020, 02:31:44 am »
Hello  :D
Popped in to see how everyone is doing in these times of staying at home.
It must be hard for the residents of nursing homes not to have visitors, especially if they don't have an understanding of the state of the world. I'm still working, although it is very quite since elective surgery has been cancelled. We are on the same grounds as John Hunter Hospital. It's the biggest hospital in the Hunter, northern regions. We are waiting for the overflow from there.
I've been catching up on some posts as I'm on holidays and can't go anywhere. Hoping to dust off TMX and give cooking another try.
Stay well xx
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #38696 on: April 15, 2020, 02:57:17 am »
Hi everyone.
Not a nice day here.  Strong wind and overcast.
Going out this morning for RAL to have a blood test was quite a process. Masks gloves etc.  the Dr had written urgent on the pathology slip.  This meant he went straight in. Once at home , we
took our shoes off at the door, plastic gloves in bin and washed the masks.  I had made these out of small scarves and rubber bands.
As we passed our small shopping center , we noticed it was full. As was Bunnings. Very few cars in the Hospital car park.
Michel, good to see you checking in.  Stay safe.
Cookie, so pleased that DH and DD are visiting MIL. It will be good for all of them.
Judy, do your best.  At least the home is trying for both you and your DM.
I have done something to my ankle.  Can’t really walk on it so am having an enforced day off.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38697 on: April 15, 2020, 08:36:04 am »
Chookie I hope you ankle is ok. Feet up and read.

The visit to MIL did DH the world of good. It was quite awkward though as she has never used a mobile phone or even a cordless one. She was given a mobile so that she could chat to DH and DD. They said she tucked it under her blanket and then put a cushion on top of it. She kept saying that no one wants old Maria around; they think she doesn't realise that everyone is in lock down. They had a bit of a chuckle on the drive home. DH will probably arrange another visit in 10 days or so. It is good for him.

Lovely to hear from you Mich. Keep well.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38698 on: April 15, 2020, 09:47:34 am »
Where were DH & DD when talking to MIL cookie, were they in the same room or speaking outside with her?  I could have done with a p.a. system today for my Mum to hear me.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #38699 on: April 15, 2020, 12:27:37 pm »
Cookie hope your resting your ankle . Saw a glimpse on tv tonight about keeping the corana virus out of your home , it was quite involved including leaving your shoes outside and a lot of cleaning , now I feel better how paranoid I am after supermarket. I even put all my clothes in the wash and have a shower.
A warmer day today.