Author Topic: Blade issue - most noticeable when making sorbet?  (Read 5411 times)

Offline LouLouB

• View Profile
Blade issue - most noticeable when making sorbet?
« on: October 11, 2013, 11:56:13 am »
At the moment sorbet is my enemy. We've tried making this a few times since getting TM - following the EDC instructions closely, but still end up with issues. Every time. Not once have I been successful in doing it.

In short, the blades are not coping with the ice when ice is used (or frozen berries) - they (the blades) seem to stop moving and the motor makes a funny noise. Adjusting the speed does not make any difference to this noise. The first time I tried to make the sorbet (second week of owning it), I ended up having to scoop most of the mixture out in to a mixing bowl and then try to do it little by little. In the end, I spent close to 30mins trying to crush the ice before I gave up and left it melt. I've tried it heaps since and the same thing happens each time I try.

Last night I tried it again, thinking that its been a few weeks so maybe it will be different and I even tried it without ice and just used frozen berries, thinking the TM would perform better without having to crush the ice, but the same thing happened again. Hubby was in the kitchen last night when I was making it and he maintains it sounds like an issue with the motor not powering up properly etc. He did say a few more mechanically minded things, which just went over my head, but I can ask him again if needed.

I figure I've had the machine long enough for it not to be a user error, especially as I'm following the EDC instructions to the letter. I figure I shouldn't have to be removing most of the mixture into separate bowls in order to try and do it. It just becomes a pain and then I stop trying to make sorbet, which is a shame as I loved the stuff made at the demo night.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I've read some threads about 'blade stripping', but not sure if this is the case here, given it's been like this since I got it.

I'm waiting to hear back from my Consultant, but thought I'd run it by you first as you seem to know EVERYTHING! ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Blade issue - most noticeable when making sorbet?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 12:43:41 pm »
I'm glad you have spoken to your consultant LouLouB, perhaps she will come over and make it with you to see what the problem is.  I haven't made a lot of sorbet recipes, made one with the consultant the night my TMX was delivered then a long time after that I did try it again but I found the ice just wasn't being chopped so that was obviously a bluntness issue with the blades.  There are many people who would make this regularly so I'm sure someone will be able to give some advice.

Oh, by the way - welcome to the forum with your first posting.  Why not pop over to the introduce yourself section on the home page and tell us a bit more about yourself, how long you've had your TMX, where you live etc. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 01:25:15 pm »
Maybe what is happening is the ice is melding to the jug if you add it first and therefore prevents the blades from spinning. Believe me, involve your consultant because the next thing you will be up for a new set of blades and will wonder why when you haven't been overloading your machine
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline LouLouB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 03:53:14 am »
Update: My consultant recommends adding some water to the mix as she thinks this will help it work out. I haven't tried it yet as everytime I suggest it, my husband groans and complains! LOL I think he needs more time to recover from my dodgy sorbet attempts to day! hahah  ;D

Offline arcadia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 04:27:30 am »
Do you use your thermomix spatula through the MC hole when it is mixing?  My consultant recommended doing that when it sounds as though it is chopping/mixing.

Offline LouLouB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 05:59:11 am »
Yeah I tried that, but didn't make a difference. My blades sounded like they weren't moving around - nor was the ice/fruit in there. Looking forward to trying it again soon.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Blade issue - most noticeable when making sorbet?
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 09:50:59 am »
I had a demo the other night and provided the ice for the sorbet. ... about 10 minutes before the guests arrived, the consultant took the 1kg of ice and put it in the thermoserver, it ended up being in there for about 30-40 minutes. I assume this helps to warm the ice a little so it's not rock hard from the freezer....I took a mental note to try to remember to do this...
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/