Author Topic: Worcestershire Sauce  (Read 84294 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Worcestershire Sauce
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2012, 08:15:04 am »
I wouldn't substitute it in this recipe curly.  Here's something I found regarding golden syrup/molasses/treacle - it is all a bit confusing and I try and stick to what is specified in a recipe except for molasses/treacle which are very similar.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2012, 08:58:41 am »
Thankyou for that, I think I'll have to go to the supermarket tomorrow then because I only have apricot jam as well!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2012, 08:59:57 am »
This is a great recipe curly66 so it will be worth the effort to get the right ingredients.  You might like to make extra batches and bottle them for Christmas gift giving hampers.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2012, 09:13:57 am »
I agree with you JD, don't think golden syrup would work in this recipe. Well worth the trip, I make this all the time. You won't go back to buying it once you start making it and the treacle will last you many batches  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2012, 06:44:31 pm »
I'm a member of Simple Savings and made a large bucket batch of a members homemade worcestershire a couple of years ago that involved quite a bit of steeping time, it was lovely so was pleased to spot that a version could be made in the TM..

Offline markag

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2012, 05:00:56 am »
Just came across this thread
I am pretty sure that the original Worcestershire sauce had anchovies and tamarind in it
Anchovies add umami and complexity and tamarind flavour and sourness
Might have to experiment

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2012, 05:06:02 am »
I added just the 1 anchovy (to half the recipe) the last time I made this and thought it was the best one yet so have included it on my ingredients list to keep adding.  The flavour of this seems to get better on sitting (I keep mine in the fridge).  :)

Offline stef

• my favorite monkey in antwerp zoo
    • View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2012, 07:53:50 am »
Just came across this thread
I am pretty sure that the original Worcestershire sauce had anchovies and tamarind in it
Anchovies add umami and complexity and tamarind flavour and sourness
Might have to experiment

there are anchovires in the original, and the original is above all a fermented sauce.

About the new fancy umami taste...   now that is some marketing .. Umami is the new fancy name for MSG, or at least they let us believe that MSG is a natural normal thing.. I can only say to everyone of you . STAY AWAY FROM IT., at least the chemical malde one.. the chemical structure is different from the natural amino accid, just like the trans fat thing.. Just add flavor to your dishes with chilli, natural sea salt and herbs and spices.. You will be better of in any way. Since I got rid of £everything with msg and soy lecitine in it (that is EVERYTHING industrial made) because of my food allergy, we discovered that my DH also got rid of his headaches and numerous other problems..  Try it for 3 months, it may make you a healthier person in ways you never would have expected.

Love
Stef
Live life to the fullest

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2012, 08:13:10 am »
Very interested to see you point out soy lecithin, Stef.   Years ago when I was living overseas I was under the impression it was good for you . . .but everytime I had it in these "health bars" I'd develop this huge lump in my armpit.  It always went down again after a few days, but I soon stopped consuming the bars, tried to avoid it ever since and no recurrence . . . . coincidence??  who knows?

Offline stef

• my favorite monkey in antwerp zoo
    • View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 10:31:54 am »
Very interested to see you point out soy lecithin, Stef.   Years ago when I was living overseas I was under the impression it was good for you . . .but everytime I had it in these "health bars" I'd develop this huge lump in my armpit.  It always went down again after a few days, but I soon stopped consuming the bars, tried to avoid it ever since and no recurrence . . . . coincidence??  who knows?

no coincidence at all.. lots of people are in some degree allergic to it, because they altered the original structure.. ( like there is kitchelsalt that is made chemicaly and sea salt, that is a natural produce. That is also the reason i have to stay away from all the other sea weed and alge products that has been processed. 
Live life to the fullest

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2012, 10:11:30 pm »
Plum jam help please for this sauce.
Does it need t be plum, could it be cherry or so thing else?
Or prunes? Easy to get those and make prune jam!!!
Thanks it's for my hampers.
DJ
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:13:27 pm by Droverjess »

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2012, 11:34:02 pm »
Can't see why you couldn't make prune jam and use, as they are dried plums.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2012, 09:14:11 am »
I've made several successful batches of this FANTASTIC sauce now (several because I have it on EVERYTHING) but todays batch was with apricot jam..... I will post how it tastes while I let it 'develop' over the next week or so......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2012, 12:13:53 pm »
Interesting twist curly  ;D

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2012, 08:15:12 pm »
Had to twist JudyDawn  ;D  I had most of the ingredients in the bowl and when I went to the cupboard for the jam I didn't have any plum!!  I tossed around the idea of going up to the supermarket but refused because I knew if I went up for a $4 bottle of jam, I'd come out $100 poorer because I'd find something else I needed..