Author Topic: S.O.S. Mix and recipes using it  (Read 48537 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: S.O.S. Mix
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 03:43:01 am »
I made a tomato/tuna/pasta dish using this mixture.

Chopped a small onion 2 sec/speed 5, added 65g finely hand sliced celery and sauteed in 1 tblspn oil for 5 mins/varoma temp/reverse/speed 1.  Removed the mixture from the bowl and set aside.

Added a can of crushed tomatoes and blitzed 10 sec/speed 7. Rinsed the tomato tin out with 1/2 MC water, added a heaped MC of SOS powder as well as the onion & celery mixture. Cooked 9 mins/90o/speed 2/reverse.  Keep an eye on it to see if the mixture is too thick, add more water if this is the case. 

Added 70g cooked corn (can use either frozen, canned or from a cob), a 425g can of drained tuna & 2 tblspns chopped parsley - combine with a spatula.

Cooked 100g dry spiral pasta as per EDC method, reserving a MC cup of the pasta water, added the pasta to the tuna/tomato sauce and thinned it out to my liking with some of the reserved pasta water.

This recipe made 3 serves and with the remaining portion I will see how it goes wrapping in crepes, topping with some cheese sauce and breadcrumbs and baking it in the oven to reheat. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: S.O.S. Mix and recipes using it
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 04:24:43 am »
Sounds delicious . Was it. Good idea for the leftovers.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 04:28:10 am »
sounds nice JD
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 06:07:28 am »
It was nothing spectacular but we both enjoyed it for a light lunch.  I had thrown out all my recipes using a can of soup so I had to go looking for more which was more difficult than I thought to find one using canned tomato soup & tuna.  I ended up just winging it and then found a small booklet from Campbells with some recipes that may be useful down the track.

You are right Gretchen, any leftovers could be added to the basic tomato based SOS mix, vegies, chicken etc.  I found the lovely white pepper taste didn't come through using the can of tomatoes instead of water and this one is so different from the basic instructions which make a white sauce.  That's what we are looking for though, variations and different ways to use the SOS mix.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2012, 02:55:47 am »
Made the SOS base sauce then added a can of creamed corn, a can of tuna and a couple of cups of cooked pasta which I had in the freezer.  Quick & easy tuna, pasta mornay.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 08:44:46 am »
Worth a try 😊
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, 09:02:46 am »
I made a batch of this today and then made 12 chicken & mushroom pies using the S.O.S. . 
They tasted great, both myself and my DH really loved them.  So quick, easy and full of flavour.  I can see this S.O.S. will be great to have on hand, as it can be used for so many different things.

I don't normally like white pepper, but I think it really added to the taste of the sauce.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, 11:17:20 am »
Same here Katie, you can taste it but it certainly adds something to the sauce. 

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 08:00:37 pm »
Can you please report back on the nuts and lots made with this? Thanks very much.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2012, 01:29:12 pm »
Hi
I just made this with chicken stock from the freezer when I diluted it and cooked it.

2 chicken pies with leftover chicken and braised leeks, served with more leeks and mushy peas. Yummo.

Thanks JD and chookie for this mix.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2014, 10:20:51 pm »
Bumping  :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2014, 11:45:26 pm »
GF,  thanks for bumping.   I make up a batch of this and keep it in a plastic bag in the freezer.  I keep the recipe and the formula for making it in the bag.  Saves looking up the information each time. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2014, 01:27:17 am »
Thanks GF, I'm out of this mixture so revisited the site, read all the comments again and this time I was able to print off the recipes from this link there

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FN_Cooking&Baking_2011-02pr.pdf

One question to perhaps Gert, do the Americans mean passata when they say tomato sauce?  I noticed in the tomato soup recipe it says to add 2 cups of tomato sauce and I cannot imagine using what we class as sauce. 

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2014, 01:53:17 am »
Good question Judy. Never noticed that particular thing before. Usually an American recipe would call for tomato paste but yes passata would be the same or any sort of spaghetti sauce like a Paul Newman or such.  It would definitely not be Ketchup or tomato sauce  as we know it.there is also in the States a tomato purée which is like crushed tomatoes and  thicker than ours but not as thick as a paste. That is more like passata. If you were substituting you could add paste and water or passata or a jar of Paul Newman.

Gert
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 01:59:47 am by Gertbysea »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2014, 02:14:56 am »
Judy - thanks for that link.  I've just downloaded and saved it so I don't lose it!!