Author Topic: Tang Zhong Starter  (Read 46237 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Tang Zhong Starter
« on: June 06, 2011, 06:02:59 am »
I've been looking at this after reading a post from cantonpixie asking for some help with bread.

The original recipe for Tang Zhong can be found here. It's a starter made from flour and water that's heated to 65c, then left to cool to room temperature before adding to the bread recipe.

I've made it today in the TMX. I cooked the starter for 5 1/2 minutes on 60/speed 3-4.  I doubled the recipe from the blog and added about 90g of mixed seeds. I also used half the amount of sugar.

The only issue I had was kneading. The dough is quite sticky and the TMX started to warm to 37 after 18 minutes of kneading. Florence states on her blog that she puts her bread machine through 2 kneading cycles.

My dough is on it's first rising, but certainly doesn't look like hers does (she calls it 'membrane' stage).
She also bakes it in a covered container. This might be a good recipe for the Milk Loaf tin.

I'll be baking it in my regular tin and will post photos (if it works!)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:05:15 am by meganjane »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tang Zhong Starter
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 06:23:33 am »
Good on you MJ - sometimes the only way to help people is to try it yourself so that you can provide the answers first hand. Hope it works out. :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 09:50:12 am »
This bread was delicious!!

It rose beautifully and came out of the oven as light as a feather. No need to use Bread Improver as the starter replaces it.

This will be my standard recipe from now on. I'm going to try it with some rolls next.

Here it is:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:58:03 am by meganjane »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 08:24:31 am »
This sounds exciting.
MJ you made the Tang Zhong starter and then did you just use your bread recipe or the one on the blog? I'm eager to give this a go.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 11:44:42 am »
Cookie, I doubled the recipe on the blog:

Tang Zhong Starter

250ml water
50g bread flour

Place in  *: and cook for 5 1/2 minutes/60/speed 4
Scrape out and place in a bowl on the bench (or fridge if you're in a hot area) to cool to room temperature.

Bread

500g bread flour (Wallaby)
160g TangZhong starter
200g water
2 tsp salt
30g sugar
2 tsp yeast
50g melted cooled butter (I just melt in the microwave)
I also added my 90g of mixed seeds

Place all in  *: and mix on  :: for 15 minutes.
Remove (flour hands so they don't stick to dough) and prove in a warm spot until doubled. (can allow to prove in TMX and then do next knead in TMX as well)
Knead again by hand for a few minutes and then place in bread tin in a warm spot. Cover with a billowed plastic bag. It should rise above the tin.

Bake at 220C for 25 minutes. Remove from tin and bake a further 5 - 10 minutes. Cool on a rack.

The Bush Gourmand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 11:49:41 am »
Thanks MJ for the recipe,I have been following your topic with great interest. :-* Just another question what size bread tin do you use?
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 11:58:41 am »
sounds very Asian MJ, amazing how you find these things --  do you think the bread has an Eastern taste?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 02:35:54 am »
I use my large tin, CC, the one I normally use for 600g flour. It's 4in x 4in x 10in.

I wouldn't say it was asian, CP63, but is a little sweeter. We liked the slight sweetness. I reduced the original amount of sugar by half, though!
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 07:18:35 am »
Thanks MJ. :-* :-*

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 08:08:34 am »
Am I missing something? :-\ I like to know what each ingredient I add to a mix contributes to the whole.  However I just don't see what the purpose of this starter is; what is essentially just cooking a bit of the dough before kneading. Starters usually contain one or more yeast strains that give the dough a kick-start and add flavour. So I'd appreciate it if one of you bread officianados could enlighten me before I give this a try.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 08:49:49 am »
Thanks MJ  :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 02:49:57 pm »
Rogizoja, here's the explanation of how it works from the blog where I got the recipe:

Quote from: florence
What is so different about this 65°C TangZhong then?
The difference lies in the temperature of the water used. In 65°C TangZhong the flour and water mixture is cooked to 65°C. At 65°C, the gluten in the flour absorbs the moisture and become leavened. This moisture absorbed at 65°C is then mixed to the main ingredients of the bread and hence the moisture in the bread dough will be heightened. The end result will be a softer and bouncier bread.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 10:25:23 pm »
Okaaaay, thanks for getting back to me. Sounds a bit "black magic" to me but I'll give it a go over the weekend and see what happens. Happy TMXing.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 08:38:37 am »
I made one loaf yesterday and we loved it. I have another loaf rising at the moment with a few minor changes. eg less sugar-I have only used a pinch in this loaf.
We found the texture of the bread lovely and firm.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 09:26:02 am »
The second loaf was amazing. At DH's insistence I made these changes, a pinch of sugar, used EVOO instead of butter and put a little bread improver in it. We loved it. Thank you MJ, it's the new favourite-called zang zong bread! The starter makes a fantastic addition to the bread and it is so easy.