Author Topic: Tang Zhong Starter  (Read 46230 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tang Zhong Starter
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011, 09:28:44 am »
Sure Chelsea. It is a fairly light rye loaf but still yum.We just love this loaf Judy. DH says it is the best we've had yet. (until something else comes along.

My modifications are 100g rye flour and only 400g bakers' flour.
                             Add an extra 10g olive oil. (I use olive oil instead of the butter)
                             I also add bread improver (sorry :'( :'( :'()
                              I now knead it for the 15 minutes.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2011, 01:00:41 pm »
Cookie, that sounds great.
I have just checked my yeast and it's out of date!! No wonder my loaves haven't been working lately!

So, how much oil do you use altogether in this recipe?
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 02:37:45 am »
That's what I was wondering MJ.  An extra 10g would make it 60g?  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 06:46:25 am »
Yes, that's right.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 11:33:33 am »
I made a loaf of this tonight and it is fantastic.  The texture is really lovely. I used spelt so I added extra flour to compensate. I used 600g spelt flour, 100g seeds, 50g olive oil, 220g water and 20g sugar. Next time I would reduce the water rather than increasing the flour as the loaf is really tall and won't fit in the toaster :). I can't believe how quickly the dough rose with the starter.  I wasn't expecting it to make such a difference.  :)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 12:41:19 pm »
I made one today as well with new yeast this time and it was stunning! So soft inside and lovely crunchy crust.
I used the basic recipe, but oil instead of butter, still same amount and replaced 100g regular flour with 100g rye flour. I did add 1 tsp bread improver to see if it made a difference.

Next time will make with out improver as that's the purpose of this starter.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2011, 04:01:44 am »
I'll be interested in the results. We seem to eat lots of this at the moment. DH is really into it. Even DD is enjoying it and she usually steers clear of seeded bread.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2011, 12:22:01 pm »
I just love this thread. When I joined the Forum , not many members were making bread.  Now many are not only making bread but talking about the difference technique and ingredients make.  This is SO good.  There is no black magiC about this as the bread we made at the cooking school , Agrarian Kitchen, last year is very similar.  It used less yeast,had a starter, rested over night and was kneaded for 20 mins. The next day.  I adapted it for the THX and cut down the kneading time, to get the result that I wanted.  Experiment and get the end result that You want.  THis is what is fun about making bread. Cookie,  your loaves look great.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2011, 08:38:40 am »
Thanks. We love your Agrarian bread too. It is so hard to know which recipe to make each time. We have bought a Sunbeam oven to take away with us so we can make our own bread on the road. I'll be testing it out next week with lots of the yummy recipes.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2011, 08:43:24 am »
Thanks. We love your Agrarian bread too. It is so hard to know which recipe to make each time. We have bought a Sunbeam oven to take away with us so we can make our own bread on the road. I'll be testing it out next week with lots of the yummy recipes.
Who will be doing the "taste testing" Cookie?  I can see you running up and down your street giving out samples  :D :D :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2011, 02:43:36 pm »
Who will be doing the "taste testing" Cookie?  I can see you running up and down your street giving out samples  :D :D :D :D
I'm happy to take time out to help with the taste testing Cookie1 ;) ;)
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2011, 02:56:17 pm »
We have bought a Sunbeam oven to take away with us so we can make our own bread on the road.

What about the Easycook oven?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2011, 03:07:34 am »
I don't have a lot of success with the Easycook and cakes or breads. Good Guys were having a big sale so I bought the Sunbeam. One of the ladies up at Monkey Mia did a heap of cake baking in one for our Biggest Morning Tea and they were lovely. I hope to do some cooking in it next week for some test runs.Hopefully mine will be a success too.  DD has had the week off (TOIL time) and we have had fun-eating out and going out. Next week back to very strict calorie watching. :'(

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2011, 08:39:43 am »
This makes a great loaf. I didn't have much in the way of grains or seeds so just went with a mix of Pepitas and Sunflower seeds. Made a half quantity of dough with the leftover starter and made 8 mini finger buns. Thanks for this recipe MJ-it's a ripper.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2011, 11:32:26 am »
Yum Jan. This bread seems able to become anything.