Author Topic: Beef Enchiladas  (Read 105124 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Beef Enchiladas - With photo
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2010, 12:33:59 am »
Wonder if you can get them in kitchen shops? Has anyone seen them around anywhere?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2010, 01:21:44 am »
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 08:22:05 am by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 03:42:19 am »
Yes I have read similar.   Seems the ones made with cornflour will be nice and thin and easy to do, whereas the wheat ones need rolling with a rolling pin after to make thinner.  At least the press should do most of the work and get into a more round shape, I hope.

I will experiment with both kinds and see how they turn out.  My only experience with tortillas has been with the ones in this thread and the bought corn ones, the home made ones being far superior taste wise (IMO), so am hoping this little gadget will simplify things for me.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2010, 05:50:06 am »
Dani has one

and I think she likes it.  But one comment that she would maybe sue the rolling pin after to get them thinner?
  Don't think she would get far trying to sue a rolling pin Thermomixer  :D :D :D  Doubt any lawyer would take that one on  ;) ;) ;)

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2010, 05:53:35 am »
ROFLMAO  ;D ;D
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2010, 06:40:19 am »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2010, 07:37:03 am »
I love your new little guy JulieO  :D :D :D :D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2010, 08:23:11 am »
LOL - generally I rely on spellchecker - She let me down  ;) ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2010, 03:47:41 am »
Just a quick update.  Have just made 3 flour tortillas using a different recipe.   I am pleased with how they've turned out so far.  I found that after leaving the dough to sit for about 30 mins made it easier to flatten out with the press.  The first one I left only for 10 mins and though it flattened initially, it shrunk back into itself once I removed from the press.  The next one I left for 20 mins, better result, but the 30 min one was the best and stayed in shape and size.  I didn't bother rolling with a rolling pin, though if you wanted super thin then there is that option.  I then used my LeCreuset cast iron grill on the flat side over 2 burners, and cooked them on that. The smallest one I just tried and it needed to be cooked for a bit longer, but that one is smaller and slightly thicker than the other 2.  It's just getting it right. 

I have taken a couple of photos and will upload later, they probably won't be that great as it was a spur of the moment thing and didn't have any lights set up, but you should be able to at least get an idea.

After looking for a recipe for corn tortillas and finding one using corn flour, I attempted to make a half quantity of that, but it just stayed as sludge in the bowl.   ???   I had another quick look on line and read that cornflour won't work and you need masa harina flour.  Of course it's not something that I can get in my town so I'll have to leave it today, maybe I can get some in Adelaide next week.  I'd really like to try and see the difference in the 2.

So I'm just waiting for the TM bowl to dry so I can make some more wheat ones to use in this meal for tonight.  I think I'll do the recipe on this thread and then I can compare the 2 recipes.

So far my experience has been pleasant and a much easier option than when I've done the rolling by hand.  Of course it being new I took my time, but this next lot should be quicker now I know what it's all about.

Another thing, instead of using gladwrap as the cover for the base and top, I cut out 2 circles from the roll of Magic cooking sheet that I have.  It means that I can just wash and dry them after using and put away until the next time.  Much easier to use that gladwrap (and no creases)  :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2010, 05:40:27 am »
Sounds like you are having fun with your experiments JulieO

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 06:25:34 am »
Great proof reading Judy. ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 07:14:38 am »
Mistakes do give us a good laugh Cookie1 - you know that though as you have also been a victim.  I've had my turn too with the 'front end loader' comment in regard to washing machines and Brazen stuck it up me too.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2010, 07:59:45 am »
Yes I'm very happy with the press.  Much preferred the recipe that's included in this thread and leaving the dough to sit (in the bowl) for 30 mins is definitely the way to go.  It was so quick and easy that the next time I make this meal, once the dough is sitting for the 30 mins, I will clean out the bowl (or maybe I'll have an extra bowl by then) and start making the filling as the actual pressing the dough into shape and cooking takes no time now.  So without having tried the corn version yet, this was still a good buy.  :)

Just pressed.  They look really big in the photo, but they are just normal size.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 08:09:31 am »
Good work - sounds like a slow process?  can you press one on top of the other with sheets between?
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2010, 08:20:33 am »
No it's not slow at all, once you've done it a couple of times to get the hang of it.  Just put the little ball on the base, press the top down, done, lift off and put aside with a cover over the top, then do the next one, takes no time at all, no mess and no swearing from me trying to get them to roll out with a rolling pin.  :D

My first lot this morning (made 3) was the test run, then when I knew what it was all about I made this lot to have with dinner.  I pressed 8 in no time.