Author Topic: Anything goes for Uni  (Read 7860218 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Anything goes for Uni
« Reply #38895 on: May 21, 2020, 12:21:29 pm »
You have to hand it to WW.  They don’t miss a trick.  Will also be interested in what you think, Julie.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Anything goes for Uni
« Reply #38896 on: May 22, 2020, 09:32:37 am »
I didn’t buy the WW Thermo book but I did see this one in Kmart. I decided if it was less than $16 I would buy it. It was $12!

I also bought this one. Actually I used a voucher my brother gave me for Christmas. I’ve been looking at it for some time.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:42:46 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38897 on: May 22, 2020, 02:24:16 pm »
Some nice light reading cookie, I’m sure you will find something to convert and make.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #38898 on: May 22, 2020, 02:36:45 pm »
Cookie , I have the first 2 books in that series. The Monday Morning Cooking Club.  I like that the money they raise goes to charity.
I believe that the pie maker manufactures have produced a machine for making sausage rolls.  The under estimated the popularity and all sold out immediately.  More due in July.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #38899 on: May 22, 2020, 11:43:43 pm »
Chookie, I got the sausage roll maker as it's called now when they first came out months ago.  They were being sold in the Reject Shop at the time under the Mistral brand but they couldn't keep up with demand.  I see Kmart have renamed them and they seem to be selling out just as quick.  :D

Cookie, there's an air fryer book in the same line that some have been commenting on, on-line as being good.  Don't have a kmart here so haven't had a look myself.

I haven't made anything from the WW pie book as yet but will do, now that the colder weather is starting to hit.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #38900 on: May 23, 2020, 12:31:07 am »
Thanks Julie.   Is the sausage roll maker any good.?.  I make about 36 a week.  I add lots of veggies and the kids love them.
It is cold, max temp 12.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #38901 on: May 23, 2020, 06:39:08 am »
The books look really interesting.
Julie, how have you found the sausage roll maker?
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Anything goes for Uni
« Reply #38902 on: May 23, 2020, 09:15:08 am »
We don't eat a lot of sausage rolls so I have resisted that. We love them though. Like you Chookie I add heaps of vegies.
JulieO I will look for the air fryer book.
We apparently have some interesting weather coming. They are calling it a super storm. There is a cyclone coming down the coast (Mangarra? or Manganna- an unusual name) and as it weakens it is going to meet a low pressure front and all they know so far is that it will be very windy and wet. I will be getting the Port out for this one I think.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:54:07 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #38903 on: May 23, 2020, 01:10:17 pm »
Hope you are ok Cookie , we saw the weather map last night and DS pointed out the rain indicator colour  being black !!
Cold and wet all day .
Love to know about the sausage roll maker too .
The Monday morning cooking club cook books always look good , haven’t yet got one .
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 01:12:02 pm by K Atie »

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #38904 on: May 23, 2020, 01:25:36 pm »
Ahhhh!  I posted quite a long post about the sausage roll maker earlier this evening and just came back on here to find it's disappeared!  I wonder what happened?  I must have deleted it by mistake.  :o  Anyway, I will come back on here tomorrow and type up another one, a bit too tired just now.  Night everyone.  :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #38905 on: May 23, 2020, 11:15:12 pm »
Cookie, we also have been watching the weather in your area.  Hope it isn’t as bad as expected. Get the port ready just in case. 
Julie, that is very annoying when you go to the trouble of typing a message and it disappears.
Yesterday I did a proper shop, first time for about 3 months.  People in Aldi were not good at keeping the distance, even though not many there.  Wilsons was much better.  Probably won’t need to go out now for 2 weeks. 
Max temp of 9 today.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #38906 on: May 24, 2020, 12:18:07 am »
Cookie, stay safe and batton down the hatches. Fingers crossed it will die down.
Chookie, I have found that people have become complacent with distancing in supermarkets too.
What a shame Julie. I love your reviews, they are so detailed. Years ago I bought the dyson animal stick vacuum after you us old how good it was.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 04:50:50 pm by mcmich »
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #38907 on: May 24, 2020, 12:45:54 am »
Thanks McMich, my animal stick is still going strong, great for what I use it for.  ;D

Regarding the pastry maker, I’ve only used it twice when I first got it months ago, so I’m not a seasoned user but this is my thoughts on those 2 uses.

The first time I made sausage rolls for GS and the other time apple pie rolls. 

The sausage rolls turned out really good, perfectly formed, I must have had the right amount of filling as they were well rounded and sealed well.

The apple ones visually turned out good but didn’t taste the best which had nothing to do with the machine.  I used home made chunky apple sauce which I don’t add sugar to.  I thought it would be sweet enough as the sauce is fine when I use it for other things, but it wasn’t sweet or tasty enough as an apple pie filling, practically tasteless.  Will def try another filling for that in the future.   

Some people have had trouble with the filling leaking out and making a mess of the machine.  I think that would be because their filling was too liquidy or they may have over filled them.  A bit like the pie maker, you would learn as to how much filling to use and the consistency of that filling.

The machine makes 4 rolls and you use 1 sheet of pastry.  Place half the pastry sheet over the moulds and add whatever filling you want to the indents, then fold over the other half of pastry and close the lid which will form the rolls.  You don’t need to cut and form them before using like you do a pie maker.  When you remove them you just cut or break off the joined pastry.

I’ve seen some great things people are using them for; donut packet mix, (I'd make my own mix), poured into the moulds where they rise to meet the top of the maker forming the domed shapes.  They are then brushed with melted butter and rolled in cinnamon sugar and allowed to cool.  You can then squeeze jam inside or slice them in half (not all the way through) and pipe in some whipped cream and jam.

Another I saw was someone used a double thickness of pastry on the top part but with no filling  and once they were baked they split in half horizontally and filled with whipped cream and lemon butter.  I couldn’t quite grasp how that worked but it’s something I would try as I’m curious.  They looked like the pastry fingers that you can buy at a bakery, they presented them very well.

Have also seen someone use a pasty filling which I would love to try. 

There’s a dedicated FB page if anyone is interested that you have to join but you will see what people are using them for.
If you love to play with these sorts of things, $29 is very reasonable.

Other things have taken precedent the last few months but I will get around to using it again soon.

I guess WW will bring out a book for this next  ;D   

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #38908 on: May 24, 2020, 02:03:01 am »
Take care, Cookie, tie everything down, stay safe and keep that port handy ... don't they say "any port in a storm"?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38909 on: May 24, 2020, 02:32:11 am »
I haven’t seen much of the weather forecast lately but whenever it’s going to hit your area cookie I wish you all the best of luck with not needing to open that bottle of port.
Thanks for the sausage roll maker info Julie, I wonder how filo pastry would go? Members of those specialty machine FB pages come up with some great ideas, some so simple you have to wonder why you didn’t think of it yourself.

In regard to the Dyson stick machines (I wouldn’t be without mine), there’s a great video on U-tube showing how to clean the head thoroughly. I took apart bits which I didn’t know came apart so if anyone would like it I can send it to you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.