Author Topic: Ultimate Chocolate Cake  (Read 12160 times)

funnyfarm2

Ultimate Chocolate Cake
« on: December 11, 2011, 08:32:12 am »
I have just made this recipe from Annabel Lanbein's website;

http://www.annabel-langbein.com/cooking/recipes/recipe/?id=279
I put everything in and mixed for just over a minute on speed 6. It is super delicious and made 12 large muffin size cupcakes plus a cake in a size 20cm (I think) cake tin.

members' comments

maddy - It was very good, a dense rich chocolate cake....not the same as a mud, but close. I poured the batter into 2 x 20cm cake tins, but I think the tins were too small for the quantity really. The tops did crack, so I just cut them off....and kids scoffed the off cuts. Iced one and froze the other.
I made a ganache type icing.....which was really wicked!
200g dark chocolate (I used belgium)
200g double cream
1/4 cup icing sugar
Melt cream and icing sugar in a small pot,  and stir until hot (but don't boil).
Pour over broken chocolate pieces, sit for 2 minutes, then  stir until smooth.
If you let the ganache sit for 30 minutes at room temp., it thickens....so then you can pipe with it.

auds -  I used a big rectangular tin and ended up cutting in half and freezing half as it was so big. Very delicious cake.  Kids will scarf it up in no time.  Next time I will blitz for 1 minute and then scrape down sides and blitz again.  I did it for 1 minute 20 secs and when I started to pour into the tin the flour wasn't mixed in properly. Will definitely make again.

jeninwa -  instead of coffee I use Crio Bru (I don't like coffee). Made 2 ring tins and a few muffins, ine in the freezer, the rest didn't last long.

Wonder - I've made 12 cupcakes, 12 mini muffin size (test for making snowman hats) and a ring tin. The mixture looks and smell great, hopefully they taste great too. I'm worried because I had to make my own self raising flour and it seemed like a lot of baking powder to add to the plain flour.

Jeninwa - I make my own SR Flour all the time, when I made this cake I added 6 teaspns baking powder, turned out great.
A little tip when making your own SR flour is to remember to weigh BP with the flour to get the right weight for the amount of flour needed.

Wonder - Thanks for the tip jeninwa. I think I put 7. I've had little taste, they aren't as rich a chocolate flavour as I was expecting and don't look as rich as Maddie's. The verdict is that it was a great texture but wasn't very chocolatey and was a little floury. All gone though so did get the thumbs up. Will try again.

Denzelmum - Made using a 23cm square pan and 13 mini muffin.  For ganache, using Maddy's recipe.  We love this!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:45:30 am by judydawn »

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Re: Ultimate Chocolate Cake
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 08:48:46 am »
Sounds lovely funnyfarm2.....very mud cake-ish.....will try it out.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 11:42:02 am »
You beat me to it, funnyfarm2  :D  I am making this cake tomorrow for DH birthday.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:44:43 am »
Whipped it up today.
At one point I thought the ingredients were going to exceed the jug!  :o
.....but it was fine.

It was very good, a dense rich chocolate cake....not the same as a mud, but close.
I poured the batter into 2 x 20cm cake tins, but I think the tins were too small for the quantity really

The tops did crack, so I just cut them off....and kids scoffed the off cuts  :P
Iced one, and froze the other

I made a ganache type icing.....which was really wicked!

200g dark chocolate (I used belgium)
200g double cream
1/4 cup icing sugar

Melt cream and icing sugar in a small pot,  and stir until hot (but don't boil).
Pour over broken chocolate pieces, sit for 2 minutes, then  stir until smooth

.......if you let the ganache sit for 30 minutes at room temp., it thickens....so then you can pipe with it.

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 11:47:06 am »
Looks beautiful Maddy, did it taste nice?   I must make this when my daughter next visits, chocolate cake is her favourite.  :D

I've ordered Annabel's new book, it should be here next week.  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 12:10:09 pm »
That is the most delicious chocolate cake I have ever seen maddy.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 12:54:19 am »
Maddy it looks lovely.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 05:53:06 am »
Thank you  :-*
I was more excited to find the "M" monogram plate,  I thought I'd left it somewhere!
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 01:16:35 am »
I made this yesterday.  I used a big rectangular tin and ended up cutting in half and freezing half as it was so big.

Very delicious cake.  Kids will scarf it up in no time.  Next time I will blitz for 1 minute and then scrape down sides and blitz again.  I did it for a minute 20 secs and when I started to pour into the tin the flour wasnt mixed in properly.

Will definately make again  ;D

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 02:35:59 am »
Made this yummy cake on Monday instead of coffee I use Crio Bru (I don't like coffee). Made 2 ring tins and a few muffins, One in the freezer,  the rest didn't last long.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:49:32 am by jeninwa »

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 02:39:13 am »
I have this in the oven at the moment. I've made 12 cupcakes, 12 mini muffin size (test for making snowman hats) and a ring tin. The mixture looks and smell great, hopefully they taste great too. I'm worried because I had to make my own self raising flour and it seemed like a lot of baking powder to add to the plain flour.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 02:48:43 am »
I make my own SR Flour all the time, when I made this cake I added 6 teaspns baking powder, turned out great.
A little tip when making your own SR flour is to remember to weigh BP with the flour to get the right weight for the amount of flour needed.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 02:57:48 am »
Thanks for the tip jeninwa. I think I put 7. The cupcakes and mini muffins are out of the oven and I've had little taste, they aren't as rich a chocolate flavour as I was expecting and don't look as rich as Maddie's. I might have to try again on the weekend. My daughter has about 10 teenagers over for the afternoon inlcuding (6 boys) so I'm sure they'll eat them all up and I can have another try. I don't eat cake so i'm not really a good judge.

the boys might be a little wary though, when they were here for a pool party last week the girls made a great looking chocolate cake but didn't tell the boys they had laced it with wasabi and chilli and a few other nasty tasting foods, apparently there was much laughter after the boys all dug in!! ;D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 03:48:02 am »
The verdict is that it was  a great texture but wasn't very chocolatley (sp?) and was a little flourerly (sp??) all gone though so did get the thumbs up. Will try again on the weekend.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 04:58:25 am »
No Chili or Wasabi this time obviously. ;D ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/