Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4523112 times)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #4485 on: August 15, 2012, 04:01:18 am »
1 kg dried cherries online....I just cannot find them physically in the stores!
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: August 15, 2012, 05:37:09 am »
I find it takes longer if i need to wait for the sauce to cook in the TMX. I cook my pasta on the stove at the same time as the sauce is cooking and then it's all ready together.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: August 15, 2012, 05:37:49 am »
I cook all my pasta and rice in the TMX. If I have a sauce to cook I do that first and put it in the thermoserver and then cook the pasta and put them together.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: August 15, 2012, 06:18:12 am »
Just browsing through the thread and realised there are 300 pages, so thought I would ask a question. I have always wanted a V slicer, hope you know what I mean, I think Bessemer had one and you can buy cheap ones, not sure how much I would use it, but ALWAYS wanted one, so question is has anyone got that they think is a good one, or is it not worth it etc any comments or opinions would be good, thanks  :)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: August 15, 2012, 06:30:38 am »
Just browsing through the thread and realised there are 300 pages, so thought I would ask a question. I have always wanted a V slicer, hope you know what I mean, I think Bessemer had one and you can buy cheap ones, not sure how much I would use it, but ALWAYS wanted one, so question is has anyone got that they think is a good one, or is it not worth it etc any comments or opinions would be good, thanks  :)

They are called mandolins and I would buy the very best you can afford. There are many on he market. Some are utter crap and others are the RollsRoyce.

Google some reviews.

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: August 15, 2012, 06:34:35 am »
i do have one and only use it about 3 to 4 times a year
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: August 15, 2012, 06:52:48 am »
I don't have one.

I don't think I would use it.  Maybe try ebay
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: August 15, 2012, 07:27:06 am »
I just got one the other day - great for doing homemade chips etc.  :)
Make sure you get one of the original brand - Borner I think it is.  :)
:D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: August 15, 2012, 08:51:54 am »
I've got the borner (not sure if that's the correct spelling) one and we don't use it often but it's great if you are wanting to slice a lot of a particular vegetable. Be very careful and always use the safety, the blades are very sharp. I don't think i might have paid around $70 for mine quite a few years ago.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: August 15, 2012, 08:52:21 am »
Rainbow, I have the De Buyer (kobra, I think) veggie slicer - not the mandoline. I really like it, and use it often. I paid around $99, from memory. I paid extra as I wanted it to be as safe as possible. I did lots of research at the time. I have trouble with my knife skills now, due to arm weakness after surgeries, so I really appreciate what it can do.

If I could have justified the cost, would have bought the Borner mandoline. Whatever you buy, look carefully at the guard - that is what saves you from injury. I was going to buy a metal glove, couldn't find one in Australia at the time, and I feel safe with the guard I have (fingers crossed) ;D

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: August 15, 2012, 09:43:50 am »
Thanks for the help on v slicer, I have had a lovely time going through reviews etc, definitely a good quality one is what is needed and there seems to be concerns on safety making sure you use the guard, I couldn't imagine NOT using the guide, that would be dangerous ;D

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: August 15, 2012, 09:51:46 am »
I have a v slicer, think from memory its a borner brand its orange and very sharp even after 20+ years make sure you use the shield,it's very easy to slip and slice fingers,  it doesn't get used much now that I have the TM.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: August 15, 2012, 12:39:18 pm »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: August 15, 2012, 03:25:16 pm »
Hi Rainbow. I have the Masterchef brand mandolin. It was about $60 but I bought when 40% off. works well for very thin slices such as for potato bake, slices one potato in a few seconds.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: August 15, 2012, 11:27:57 pm »
I am interested in buying a bread pan/tin for making baguettes.  Does anyone use one, or can you recommend a good brand or what to look for?
Karen in Adelaide