Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4522999 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #2010 on: March 08, 2012, 10:30:38 pm »
I think the new iPad is about $100 more than the iPad 2 for the same thing. I would love to update my iPad 1 for the new iPad 3 but there is nothing wrong with what I have at the moment so will wait an see.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: March 08, 2012, 11:11:43 pm »
The new iPad is a long way from the iPad 1 and I love all the features on the new one including the voice to text. That will be interesting.

I have started to re jig my iPad2 for DH.

The promised day is March 16 for delivery. Wait and see.

gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: March 09, 2012, 01:37:48 am »
I agree a huge step up from iPad 1 but not that much from the iPad 2. The voice to text would be interesting but not something I would use. BTW I purchased my husband a kindle touch a few weeks ago and it has a txt to voice function, he can now have a book read to him while folding the washing - brilliant idea.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: March 09, 2012, 01:51:34 am »
I agree a huge step up from iPad 1 but not that much from the iPad 2. The voice to text would be interesting but not something I would use. BTW I purchased my husband a kindle touch a few weeks ago and it has a txt to voice function, he can now have a book read to him while folding the washing - brilliant idea.

Too funny wonder. All the Kindles have txt to speech  and DH can change the voice from male to female as well . I find it really annoying but it is great for kids as they can just follow along.  Another great tool to help kids learn to read.

I have had the Kindle touch for about 6 months and am not so  sure I like it better than my old one but  it is smaller.

Gretch

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: March 09, 2012, 02:00:15 am »
Hi Wonder, I  am interested in the kindle touch. There have been so many variable reviews, is your husband happy with it?
Would you buy it again and would your husband recommend it? Thanks, I would really like to knoe. :)

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: March 09, 2012, 02:27:36 am »
Don't know how wonder's DH feels but I have used mine for  a few months and like it as it is smaller and lighter. You do have to learn to be careful where you put your fingers.

Gretchen

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: March 09, 2012, 04:55:53 am »
ElleG, I got my husband the kindle touch from the US when i was over there recently (purchased via amazon but sent to my work address) and we were able to get the version with ads for only $79 however I did spend another $60 on the official cover with inbuilt light, I have the standard kindle which is the same size as the touch but with page buttons on the side and a clip on light. I absolutely love my kindle - it's so small I can hold in one hand and flip the pages with my thumb or little finger, i would love the cover with inbuilt light but am worried it will make my kindle a little harder to use so am holding off on that purchase. My husband thinks his is the best present I've ever bought him and is constantly telling me his is better than mine! He would certainly buy another one and in fact is trying to get me to agree to purchase one for each of the kids when I'm next in the US. I haven't used his for more than a few minutes so it's a bit hard to compare.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: March 09, 2012, 05:23:04 am »
Let me clear this up.  There are actually 6 different Kindles available, Kindle, Kindle Touch,  Kindle Touch with 3G,  Kindle Keyboard with 3G,
Kindle DX and Kindle Fire so go to Amazon.com to assess which one you really are interested in.

I bought for my kids the Kindle keyboard with 3G pluse one each for myself and DH. I have now replaced mine with the Kindle Touch which is smaller and lighter than my originals.

Best do your research before buying. You can also purchase a waterproof cover to use the Kindle Touch in the pool,

Gretch

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: March 09, 2012, 01:04:50 pm »
We have the kindle and kindle touch and love them both.

When looking on Amazon unless you are going to use a forwarder or have someone in the US who can forward your purchases for you make sure you are looking at the international shipping page as not all models are available in all countries. The Kindle touch I got for my husband has advertisements which show up on the front screen, and because of this they are $30 less than the regular kindle but it's only available for purchase in the US. As Gert says there are quite a few models available so you really need to do your research. If you are in Australia some of the models are now available through Big W, Dick Smith and Woolworths - I found the staff in these stores have no idea about the product but you can at least get a feel of a few of the models before purchasing.

In the past I've used iPads, iPods and other ereaders but have found my kindle far superior.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: March 09, 2012, 05:13:21 pm »
I have the latest kindle before the touch and have not felt the need to update even tho I am a "tech head" (kids description of me, not mine). I am going to wait for the next model at least before updating.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #2020 on: March 09, 2012, 06:43:44 pm »
I have the latest kindle before the touch and have not felt the need to update even tho I am a "tech head" (kids description of me, not mine). I am going to wait for the next model at least before updating.

That's what I have - Kindle 3rd generation with 3G, and I still use my Kindle 2.  As I just use them for reading and I don't do games or need to watch movies on them, I don't plan to upgrade until there is a big jump in technology.

I haven't yet sprung for an iPad because I didn't want to buy one and then have a new version pop up a few months later AND I like to wait until some of the bugs have been worked out of the product. 
This new one, with the higher pixel camera and better video capability (for recording basenji antics, what else?) seems more attractive to me. 
I can't see using it for reading on a regular basis because it is too large to hold for long reading sessions and the 10-hour battery life - "depending on how many applications are active" - would be annoying.
However, the guy in my computer club who has had one for testing for the past three months (secret from us in the club) thinks this one will fill my list of requirements...   And he has a "Mophie Juice" external battery for fast recharging.  He says there is a long wait as these are very popular, made exclusively for the Apple "i" products from the iPhones, iPods to the iPads. 
He also has a "New Trent iCruiser" which he has used with the first iPad, iPhone and others, it's cheaper but takes much longer to charge the iPad. 
He says he is bringing the whole "suite" of iPads and accessories to the meeting tomorrow so I will know more afterward and will report back.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: March 09, 2012, 08:54:36 pm »
Andi that is pretty exciting. Nice to have someone in the know to give pointers. Very generous of him.  I find the 10 hour battery life not so bad as I just charge it at night or maybe during the day when I am not using it. I have never run out of batts so to speak. The recharge is not so long anyway but a faster recharge would be great to have for anything. You will love the new iPad for those doggies. I record mine all the time just for fun. I downloaded the iPhoto and it is brilliant on this iPad so I am imagining it will be even better on my new one.

On a recent trip overseas I was able to " take along a friend" by sending her  frequent vignettes of the places I was seeing  in real time. Just a couple of taps is all it takes.

If you like FaceTime it is so very easy. I never use it but I know others who do.

Life is short and we can never have too many toys but I don't have to tell you that. LOL!

Gretchen

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: March 09, 2012, 09:07:43 pm »
We have the kindle and kindle touch and love them both.

When looking on Amazon unless you are going to use a forwarder or have someone in the US who can forward your purchases for you make sure you are looking at the international shipping page as not all models are available in all countries. The Kindle touch I got for my husband has advertisements which show up on the front screen, and because of this they are $30 less than the regular kindle but it's only available for purchase in the US. As Gert says there are quite a few models available so you really need to do your research. If you are in Australia some of the models are now available through Big W, Dick Smith and Woolworths - I found the staff in these stores have no idea about the product but you can at least get a feel of a few of the models before purchasing.

In the past I've used iPads, iPods and other ereaders but have found my kindle far superior.

Oh I forgot to say wonder that I did buy my  Kindle touch a few months ago from an online seller in Australia. He probable imported it directly from the manufacturer and that is why I was able to get it before it was actually available from Amazon. It is now available in Australia from Amazon as a friend bought one a few weeks ago. I did pay a bit more for it but no problem. I actually like the ads as they keep changing and are not obtrusive in any way.

You are right about the ppl in Woolies having no idea. I think they are no longer going to sell the Kindle anyway.  The staff in Dick Smith varies from no bl**dy idea to brilliant. Go figure.

Gretchen

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: March 09, 2012, 10:56:20 pm »
I bought another iPad 2. Did quite a bit of research on the new iPad and decided I wouldn't get the benefit of the  new functionality - I really just need the extra capacity that the 64gb one will give me over the current 16gb I have. Dick Smith reduced their prices on all iPad 2 models yesterday but sold out across Victoria by early afternoon, while a local store still had stock I managed to get Myer to price match - a $200 reduction on their listed price! They weren't happy about but as they were able to ring the store and check they had to do it. I'm also travelling in two weeks so can claim the GST back - all up I will have only spent around $650, so I'm very happy. Now there is fight on in the family to see who gets my current iPad!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: March 09, 2012, 11:11:04 pm »
Well you are a wonder woman alright. Well done you,eh?

My understanding is that Apple will stop making the iPad2 in 32 and 64 GB and retain the 16 GB at a cheap price so you were one of the lucky last to grab a 64GB ? I weep for Myer. NOT!

Gert