Author Topic: Whole Orange Cake  (Read 64244 times)

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
Re: Whole Orange Cake
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2014, 07:23:53 am »
I made this cake today - it has been years since I made it. Lots of compliments, it smelt so good! I didn't change it to GF, so didnt try any. Next time  :D

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2014, 06:57:21 am »
After reading all the wonderful reviews, I made this cake today but mine turned out quite dry. Wonder why?

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2014, 07:41:36 am »
Maybe not enough juice in the orange?

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #138 on: July 08, 2014, 10:01:02 am »
Actually that makes sense since the orange was on the smaller side.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2014, 12:43:01 pm »
I made this the other day and it was lovely, so it may have been the orange Courton.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Whole Orange Cake
« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2014, 11:53:52 am »
"Quick and easy" is an understatement!  I've made three of these this past week.  I used 2 medium sized navel oranges - just found I had to blitz a few seconds longer - and since I had some smaller eggs to use up (about 50 gm) I  put in 4 of them.  Each cake turned out beautifully.

For the first, I was called to do an afternoon with a preschool.  I like cooking with the children but there's not much time during the afternoon to get everything done.  The children had been focusing on colours (among other things) for the week, so that morning I thought I'd make a cake at home, take it in and the children could "decorate" it with some sprinkles I had in the cupboard.  After some discussion of all the colours etc., each little one was called out to sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon of their selected colour on the cake.  When everyone had had their turn I told them I would cut up the cake and they could all have a piece.  Bless their little souls, as soon as I began to cut the cake, they all started to sing Happy Birthday!! :-)) :-)) ;D  ;D Without exception, they all loved it.  I think it was the first time I'd seen an entire group so enthusiastic over a cake.  Normally, you can bet your bottom dollar there'll be at least one (or more) saying, "I don't like this!" and tipping their piece in the bin.

One of the other teachers asked for the recipe, so I made her the cake a few days later to go along with the recipe, and the third one went to my DD and her flatmates.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:01:11 pm by goldfish »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2014, 12:38:44 pm »
Lovely idea GF. As I was reading I was waiting for you to mention lots of 'I'm allergic to......'  I'm glad you didn't get any.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2014, 12:49:18 pm »
I know, Cookie . . .allergies/intolerances, etc. - it's a veritable minefield.  I always check with the school to get a list of who's allergic to what and we plan accordingly.  Always continually amazed at what children are coping with foodwise these days :-\

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2014, 01:06:53 pm »
What a wonderful teacher you are GF to make it such a fun day for the children. ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.