Author Topic: Thermomix Butter - photos  (Read 141117 times)

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
Re: Thermomix Butter - photos
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2009, 10:59:14 am »
I freeze any buttermilk and butter that won't be used in that time JD.  8)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2009, 12:07:02 pm »
What happens if you buy cream which is almost out of date - the fridge life surely can't be extended just because it has been turned into butter.  It gets frozen then - right?

I was just wondering that same thing this morning JD!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2009, 12:39:10 pm »
I freeze cream ready to make into butter, I freeze buttermilk until I am ready to use it and the butter I make from cream nearly out of date is used up pretty quickly in this house so not a problem.  :o :o I was concerned that cream that had been frozen also wouldn't beat to butter so tried a small carton first. It does take a little longer to whip up, but I am talking maybe a minute max more! I can also confirm that cream that has been whipped for an occasion and left over and then frozen will also beat to butter when defrosted   :D

If it is cream nearly out of date, I do batch it smaller so when it comes out of the freezer it is used up pretty quickly (within a day or two generally) otherwise keep it in the freezer and use it for baking. Sure makes it a lot cheaper ;) ;)

I always wash mine 3 times like I posted before, and also when it is nearly out of date I still wash it 3 times but for about 30 seconds instead of 10 each time just to be sure I have got as much buttermilk out of it as possible, as it is the buttermilk that sends it rancid apparently.

Mine always has a little water left in it as I just can't be bothered with trying to get it out!! I do stand the butter in a Tupperware strainer (probably one of the old ones by now lol) that has solid sides and let it sit for a while to drain any water that may drain away freely.  As the water drains out of the softened butter (it lives on the bench during the day) we just tip it out of the butter container ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2009, 12:58:23 pm »
I paid $2.40 for the cream today with a really good use by date of 29th Aug and the cheapest butter in the store was $2.90.  Not a huge saving but in future I will look for specials or near use by date clearance stock.  What are the benefits of making your own butter - are there nasties in bought stuff?
Thanks for the input Kathryn, Ceejay and Intrepidtrier. Do any consultants make it at demos?  I thought it was fun making it and DH was suitably impressed with another thing the TMX does so quickly. He loves it that I am so wrapped in it and the forum by the way.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2009, 01:00:45 pm »
no, butter's not in the "allowed" menu for demo's ;)

part of the reason i don't bother making butter is that there's really no cost saving and i havne't had success making a spreadable one. must try again soon though
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2009, 01:09:13 pm »
There was a hint somewhere the other week about mixing it with some oil which I did with some bought butter and found it was lovely to spread. Have forgotten the quantities.  Does anyone do this with their home-made butter?

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2009, 01:17:18 pm »
I don't as it lives on the bench here ( think it may have been 10g of oil - don't quote me though!! I get the cream cheap enough (sometimes 2l bottle for $3.00) so works out cheaper for us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2009, 01:20:03 pm »
I've never seen a 2 L bottle of cream in my life Kathryn  :o :o :o  That price makes it really worthwhile.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2009, 01:29:10 pm »
neither have i!!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2009, 01:42:06 pm »
I think it is a caters pack...it is made by Harvey Fresh which is one of our local producers...I have never seen it in the supermarkets but is at one of our vege markets here  ;D ;D ;D I have four litres defrosting on my sink as I type  :D

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2009, 01:45:29 pm »
I know the Paramalat milkos often have 2 litre bottles of cream on board but I have sourced mine from a local dairy which supplies our fruit & veg store.  ;D
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline thunderaj

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2009, 10:23:45 am »
Made this tonight with thickened cream (I did the same as you JudyDawn and when I got home I thought ohh I can't use this - lucky I read the forum).  Washed it three times like faffa 70 said to do and it came out perfectly.  I used the cream straight from the fridge and had no problems with it seperating, it just took a bit longer (probably another minute).  Thanks for the tips! Only being a newbie - I got my machine 4 days ago, I am quickly learning to check this site for tips before I use a recipe from the EDB

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2009, 11:07:11 am »
Good for you thunderaj, it certainly pays to double check the forum - isn't it wonderful  ;) ;)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2009, 01:46:50 pm »
I think it is a caters pack...it is made by Harvey Fresh which is one of our local producers...I have never seen it in the supermarkets but is at one of our vege markets here  ;D ;D ;D I have four litres defrosting on my sink as I type  :D
Which vegie market is that Kathryn?
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2009, 05:07:21 pm »
Made this tonight with thickened cream (I did the same as you JudyDawn and when I got home I thought ohh I can't use this - lucky I read the forum).  Washed it three times like faffa 70 said to do and it came out perfectly.  I used the cream straight from the fridge and had no problems with it seperating, it just took a bit longer (probably another minute).  Thanks for the tips! Only being a newbie - I got my machine 4 days ago, I am quickly learning to check this site for tips before I use a recipe from the EDB

Congratulations - it is great to be able to make things that you otherwise wouldn't and great to have the Forum to help !!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.