Author Topic: Pinolate Biscuits (Chewy Nut Biscuits with Pine nuts and Pistachio nuts)  (Read 8260 times)

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
A friend gave me this recipe today and have just made them using the TMX.  They are sooooo yummy.  I didn't write down what I did though but it's pretty easy to convert and when I did a google search I found the recipe she gave me on Better Homes and Gardens so have included the link as well.  They are an Italian biscuit.

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better-homes-gardens/tv/-/watch/22339171/pinolate-biscuits/page/2/

You firstly need to toast 100g of hazelnuts and let cool.

Process 120g blanched almonds and 200g caster sugar until you have a fine powder and then add 3 egg whites. Pour mix into a separate bowl.

For the second mix add the 100g of toasted hazelnuts removing skins (I just rubbed a handful between my hands and the skins flake off easily), add 200g ground almonds and then 200g sugar, 1tbsp honey, 80g butter and 1 egg white. Mix, together.

Gently combine the two mixes and then put in the fridge for 1 hour.  Preheat oven to 150g.

Chop 150g pistacchio nuts and 180g pine nuts coarsely and put in a bowl. Once the above mix is chilled take small balls and roll in the nut mix (pistacchio and pine nuts) and place on trays (flatten slightly, but they do spread so not too much). Wet your hands because it is sticky.

Cook for 20mins or until lightly browned. Let cool and sprinkle with icing sugar.

Ummmmm they won't last long, they're so yummy.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pinolate Biscuits (Chewy Nut Biscuits with Pine nuts and Pistachio nuts)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 07:53:24 am »
They do sound interesting. Lots of nuts too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 07:57:12 am »
They are nice. I think you could cut down on the sugar a bit though, they are quite sweet.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 07:59:03 am »
Thanks, I might try them with the sugar reduced a bit.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:05:17 am »
how much would you reduce the sugar by?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 08:23:29 am »
These sound delicious - are you putting them in the Monthly Mouthful competition for nut recipes??  You should!  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 08:57:32 am »
Here's the link to the Monthly Mouthful blog - scroll past the 2 recipes to the end to read what this competition is about

http://thermorecipes.blogspot.com/2010/10/go-nuts-for-walnuts.html
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 10:50:44 am »
Hmmm I didn't know about it, but thank you for letting me know. Would I need to properly convert the recipe to put it in and does it matter that the recipe came from the BHG website ?

CP63, I think I'd reduce it by maybe 60g overall. 30g from each mix.  I'm a real sweet tooth, but with the icing sugar on top as well it's a bit too much. I'd rather taste the nutty flavour I think.  If you try it let me know how you get on.  I have some of the mix sitting in the fridge as I ran out of pine nuts and pistaccio nuts so I'm off to the supermaret to get some more.

It makes quite a big batch. I've already made 16 and I think I could quite easily make another 16 from what I have left, if not more. So you could even halve the recipe I think and still have plenty.

Debbie

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:14:03 am by Debbiebillg »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 12:45:59 pm »
I would try and convert it fully debbie although Tenina usually plays around with any recipes sent to her when she is testing them.  Just mentioned where the recipe came from - I figure all recipes come from somewhere and we usually change things to suit outselves anyway (as you are going to do with less sugar).  Unfortuntely H.O. doesn't advertise these cooking competitions on the forum and Thermomixer would usually let us know what is going on.  I wouldn't have known about it this time either if it were not for Jo's comment (thanks Jo  :-*).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:47:46 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 01:07:52 pm »
I can't make any more Judy LOL, I still haven't cooked all of this lot.  That's my job now the kids are all asleep. The thing is too, I'd probably tweak what I did this time slightly.  Hmmm I'll have another look over the recipe and see what I can come up with lol. The recipe has to be submitted by the 22nd so not a lot of time.  I'd love to go to one of those festive classes though hmmmm.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 01:14:17 pm »
As long as you change a couple of things, I'm sure it's okay to use the recipe (and just say you converted it and change it a bit, like JD said).  I don't think you'd need to make it again if you're just reducing the sugar - shouldn't change the mixture enough to mess anything up.

Well I'm glad I mentioned the competition - if you get the email updates you find out what's going on.  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 08:02:30 pm »
Great recipe as it contain all those wonderful nuts.Thanks for the tip about reducing the sugar.Couldn't play the video but the picture of the biscuits looked yummy.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 06:08:27 am »
Great recipe - definitely one for the Monthly Mouthful.  Hope Tenina gets a few.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.