Author Topic: Bread Tin Preparation  (Read 24884 times)

Offline Depome

• View Profile
Re: Bread Tin Preparation
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2010, 08:23:13 am »
I think I've heard that you get lids with proper sandwich loaf tins, so that could prove very useful for your requirements anyway.

Offline jegman4

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2010, 04:25:34 am »
Hello everyone,
I am not sure if any one is still following this topic or not..
 I am a new member here and have read with interest the posts on bread tins etc.
I am a man who started making my own bread from scratch 30 plus years ago and still do. ( I am 73)
  I have gone through quite a few tins in that time. Plain tin ones and coated. While the coated ones last a bit longer, I prefer the plain ones. Don't know why. I just feel more comfortable with them

I season the new tins much the same way as I did with my cast iron pots and pans ( which you never wash---just a good wipe out by the way, as this develops a wonderful carbon coating) Just oil them and put them in the oven at around 400degrees for about 30 minutes. 

I always spray my tins with Canola oil now before baking and never have any trouble just upturning them and letting the loaves just fall out.
I always just give a light washing afterwards and let them dry in the still warm oven.
 They still collect a little rust film sometimes  ...but that wipes out easily before using and spraying

For French and Italian bread  I use a cookie sheet lightly sprayed and with cornmeal sprinkled on it.

I also use this, lightly sprayed but no cornmeal, for dinner rolls placed 26 mm apart (1 inch) so that they nicely touch when they rise

For pizza I use a round coated pan with 6 mm (1/4 inch) holes over the bottom. It is the size of a large pizza and works beautifully and produces a good crust as the heat comes through the holes. I prefer that to a pizza stone.

For pita bread I like to use the racks that you would use to dry normal bread on. I put them crosswise on the oven shelf acks. This gives square openings that will allow the heat to come through and puff them up nicely.

Hope this is of use to someone out there

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2010, 05:58:30 am »
jegman4,  What a great description of preparing bread tins.   Welcome to the Forum.  How about a fav. recipe?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2010, 08:08:40 am »
Thanks jegman4. That information is appreciated. AS Chookie says, how about a favourite recipe?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline jegman4

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2010, 11:35:39 am »
Chookie and Cookie

Cute names

Favorite recipe?? Thats a first,...never been asked that before.

Are you asking about bread recipes or general recipes? Gotta think in each case

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2010, 11:42:14 am »
jegman4,  also an interesting name ;D ;D ;D.  We will look with interest at anything you have to offer.  I initially thought Bread.  but then this is my passion and I have been making bread for as long as you.  If you have some other recipes we will all be interested so start thinking. ;D ;D

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2010, 01:07:52 pm »
I don't have a proper bread tin yet, but when I use my dutch oven or my ceramic loaf tin I paint it with olive oil and sprinkle some fine semolina in and they are perfect.

Offline jegman4

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2010, 12:31:01 pm »
Well,  Here iswhat I came up with ladies.
 It is one I make about twice a year. It is delicious and well worth the trouble.
My 86 year mother-in-law adores it and my wife and I do too. The rest of the family doesnt get it too often...theres a whole lot of them.....they lke it too much....
I  make it into a long loaf rather than a round one as the slices are easier to handle.

I like to cool it, slice it, put the slices on a cookie sheet separated by wax paper then freeze them.
After freezing I puthem into ziplock bags. The slices keep apart and we take them out as needed. I have kept tis bread frozen for 3 months and it is just as good each time I use it.

Dark Pumpernickel bread
Ingredients
2 ¼ cups of boiling water
¼ cup of plain cocoa (not the sweet stuff)
½ cup of Balsamic vinegar
½ cup of dark molasses
2 TBS of Caraway seeds
2 tsp of instant coffee granules
2 ¼ TBS of dry yeast             (I use regular yeast, not fast rising)
½ cup of warm water      (about 110 degrees F)
1 TBS sugar
1 TBS salt
4 cups of dark rye flour
1 cup of unprocessed wheat bran
2 ½ cups of whole-wheat flour
1½ cups of all -purpose white flour
Some cornmeal for the tray

Method
   Combine boiling water, cocoa, vinegar, molasses, caraway seeds and coffee in a large bowl;
                 cool to 105-110 degrees F.
   In a small bowl, dissolve sugar and yeast in the warm water; let stand 10 minutes.
   Add the yeast mixture to the cocoa mixture (be sure that the cocoa mixture has cooled enough)
   Add the rye flour, bran and salt, and mix well.
   Add in the whole-wheat flour and then the white flour a little at a time. If you have a dough hook, use it.
                If not you may have to get your hands in here. The dough must be fairly firm and pull from bowl.
                Do not add too much flour or it will be too stiff to rise and will crumble.  You want it to feel sticky but not
                 enough to have any dough stick to your fingers when you pull them away.
   Pull the dough from the bowl onto a floured board and knead for approx. 5-6 minutes (if you used a dough
                hook previously),  if you did not, then knead for 9-10 minutes
               It should not however, be kneaded to the point where it begins to tear, but it should be smooth.
   Lightly oil a large bowl, put the dough in and turn it over so that it has a light coating of the oil. Cover the bowl with  a cloth or plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until completely doubled, about 2½ hours.
   Punch it down, and turn out onto the board again.  Roll it to press the air out, and then form into a long, or round  loaf.       Sprinkle the cornmeal over a good cookie tray. Place the loaf on the tray, cover with a cloth again let rise again              about           hour at least until doubled in size.
   Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes (The bottom will sound hollow when tapped)
              Let cool down before slicing (tastes better that way)

Offline Russell

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2010, 12:43:55 am »
We've been using a bread tin we bought from Myers about 6 months ago. It's non-stick, witha  slide-on lid. We spray it with spray-on canola each time and it slides out easy. Then just wipe it down with a paper towel and it's ready to go the next time.

It's perfect for sandwiches, as the loaf rises and fills to the lid perfectly, so we have a nice square loaf when it comes out, baked evenly on all sides.

Unfortunately though, the non-stick coating is starting to come off at the top a bit where it slides on & off. I went to Myers 2 weeks ago to get another one, so we could do 2 loaves at once, and they were having a sale, so I ended up buying 2 new ones for $22  ;D

Russell.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2010, 01:32:56 am »
jegman4,  this looks absolutely delicious and i will definitely be making it.  Thanks taking he trouble for posting it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2010, 04:25:28 am »
Jegman4, thank you. The recipe does indeed look delicious. It sounds like my kind of bread. I'll need to boost my rye flour supply before I do it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/