Author Topic: Fruit Mince Pies - With photo  (Read 92577 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Fruit Mince Pies - With photo
« on: November 25, 2009, 12:40:20 am »
FRUIT MINCE PIES  Filling  for approx 40 patty pan pies
150g sultanas 
130g dried mixed fruit
120g currants
1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and quartered
ZEST of ½ lemon, + approx 50ml juice (about 1 lemon)
ZEST of ½ orange
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup brandy
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp mixed spice
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves

Filling:
Put quartered apple into TM bowl.  Grate 7 secs/speed 4. Remove to a big bowl. Add lemon juice and stir until combined.

Put all the dried fruit and zest into TM bowl.  Chop for 10 secs/speed 6 or until finely chopped.  Transfer to the big bowl with the apple in it.

Add sugar, brandy and spices.  Stir until combined.

If not using straight away, spoon into a sterilised screw top jar and refrigerate for up to 3 months.
                            ----------------------------------------------------------
Pastry for approx 18 patty pan pies, including star tops

250g plain flour
1 tblsp caster sugar
¼ tsp baking powder
180g cold unsalted butter, cubed
1/3 cup (80ml) iced water
1 tsp vanilla extract

Place flour, sugar and baking powder in TM bowl, and TURBO twice to combine.

Add butter and process approx 5 secs/speed 5, or until just combined 

With the motor running, process approx 20 secs/speed 5, gradually adding the water and vanilla through opening in lid, until the mixture comes together to form a smooth dough.
Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 mins before using.
                           -----------------------------------------------------------
Preheat oven 180°C.

Roll pastry and cut out circles using 7cm flute- edged round cutter. Place into patty pan tin (no need to grease tin if using non-stick pans, enough butter in pastry).  Place in fridge while doing the other tin.

Remove one pan from fridge, and spoon in some of the filling. Put pan back in fridge, do other pan.

Re-roll the remaining pastry and cut out star shapes. Stars should just be touching sides of cases.

Put stars onto baking paper lined tray and put in the freezer for a few minutes where they will firm up slightly.

Remove from freezer, brush stars with lightly beaten egg white, and place on top of the filling.

Sprinkle stars only with a little caster sugar. 

Place in preheated oven and cook until golden.

Allow to cool for a minute or two, then remove to a rack to cool.

Sprinkle with icing sugar once cooled.

Notes:

Can be put into a big plastic container with baking paper between layers and then put into freezer.
When required, take as many as you want out and allow to thaw for a few mins (doesn’t take long), then heat gently in the oven just to crisp up the pastry.  They will be good as first baked.

This was the first time I've made them after converting the recipe and I was very happy how they turned out. 

The filling is enough for approx 40 patty pan sized ones but you could quite easily double the amount if you wanted more, just need to make more pastry of  course. This pastry didn't 'come with' the recipe, it's a Donna Hay converted one which I find is really nice for these pies and that's why the amounts don't tally up with each other.

It's the nicest fruit mince pie I can say I have eaten.  :)

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 04:59:52 am by JulieO »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit Mince Pies - With photo
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 01:03:02 am »
Never been a fan of bought fruit mince pies but these sound as if they would go down a treat JulieO - well done again.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 03:18:00 am »
Hi JulieO,

I would really like to try these as I've never liked the store bought ones either. Am I correct in my reading that neither the fruit mix or pastry are cooked separately prior to assembling and cooking the pies?
Thanks, Nadine

Offline greenjellysnakes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 03:33:04 am »
These look great!  DH loves mince pies, and would love it if I made some from scratch for him.

Place in preheated oven and cook until golden.

How long do they take till they're golden, roughly?  Having never made them before, I wouldn't know when to start checking them.
Tammy in NSW
Mama to 2, and 1 on the way!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 04:56:37 am »
Hi JulieO,

I would really like to try these as I've never liked the store bought ones either. Am I correct in my reading that neither the fruit mix or pastry are cooked separately prior to assembling and cooking the pies?
Thanks, Nadine

Yes Nadine, you are right.  The worst part of this is if it's a warm day, the pastry really needs to be in and out of the fridge otherwise it will go out of shape, when rolling and trying to put into the little patty pans.  I find the best way is to roll out the pastry on baking paper,cut out the shapes and pull the excess pastry away leaving the rounds on the paper.  Pull this paper onto a baking tray and put in the freezer for about 2 mins, no more or they will be really firm.  Remove and gently lift up and press into the pans.

When I made these last weekend, it was a really cool day and I didn't have this problem, but today being a warm day 30 C, I found this happening.  Got around it okay like I've noted above, so please keep this in mind.  I really like this vanilla pastry and also find it doesn't shrink either if you keep it cold.

Greenjellysnakes, I would say to start checking after about 25-30 mins, depending on your oven.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 08:17:44 am »
Lovely JulieO.  I'll make my Mum's fruit mince ( I posted it last year but will update it) and probably use the almond pastry from the EDC. Had our get together today so may be tomorrow.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 12:17:57 am »
Good work JulieO.  They do look good.  But where is the suet in the mince?? - only joking, these are the healthy version. 
  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 12:22:42 pm »
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Oh Julie....I dooooooooo soooooo love you! Thankyou! I will be making these this weekend, will let you know how they turn out, amaaaaaaaaaazing I am sure!

However just one query? What can I use for mixed spice, please have a read of yours as I havent got any, and wouldnt know where to get it here!
Amanda

Spain

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 01:36:02 pm »
Bron, I googled it as I empty my spices into containers, so wasn't sure exactly what was in it.  Good luck I hope they work for you.    :D 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_spice

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 04:29:50 pm »
Thanks Julie!
Amanda

Spain

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 06:32:41 pm »
Just been to the shops to buy all the ingredients, will be making mince tonite and pastry tomorrow, can't wait!!!!
Amanda

Spain

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 09:40:00 pm »
OMG Julie....its amazing!!! Havent made the pastry yet, but the mince is just out of this world! You must remember this is a very English thing, as here in Spain, you cannot get fruit mince nevermind mince pies!  I havent eaten mince pies for over 10 years! I improvised without the mixed spice, and blitzed 2 cloves, a teaspoon of ginger and some Cardamom (think its spelt like that??) Oh truly it is amaaazing, am hoping to get the kids into bed early, and make the pastry and pies tonight, if not will do them tomorrow! But so far 10/10! :-* :-*
Amanda

Spain

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 12:00:48 am »
Oh Bron I'm so pleased to hear you like the filling s much as me.  I hope the pastry behaves itself for you too.  Of course you can always use your own favourite one in it's place.   It's hard stopping at just one.   :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 12:03:16 am by JulieO »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 02:05:10 am »
Years ago an English friend of mine sent her husband out to the supermarket to buy some mince for these pies.  He came home with minced steak  :-)) :-)) :-))
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 07:33:20 am »
Must say when I was young and heard that my aunt wanted mum to make mince pies for xmas I was a bit surprised.

That was something that she did cook well.  We always had her cook them for us.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.