Author Topic: Exploring the TM5  (Read 35696 times)

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
Re: Exploring the TM5
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 04:08:55 am »
I've never heard of red wheat Allen so I'm not surprised you couldn't find a recipe for it on line.  Well done you and I hope you racked up a few more brownie points from your wife for your effort.

Judy

Winter wheat is "hard red wheat" Summer wheat is "hard white wheat" both are bread wheat's grown in the northern state. Soft white wheat is use for cakes and biscuits and so on, it is grown in the southern states. Red wheat has a hardy taste to it and is better for cream of wheat. IMHO.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 04:12:20 am »
I've never heard of red wheat either, despite growing up on a wheat growing farm. It sound interesting.
Well done on making the dish Allen. It took me quite a while to
be able to do that.
I have a dear friend who makes what he calls 'gristed wheat.' It is basically what you have made. He doesn't own a thermomix so uses a machine to grist or grind the wheat.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 08:05:53 pm »
I've never heard of Cream of Wheat either so thanks for information Allen. You are certainly giving your TM5 a workout. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2016, 02:37:09 am »
Cookie, I guess hard red wheat is a northern america crop, it is sold all over the states where wheat grain is sold. Cream of Wheat is actually a brand name here in the states but they use hard white wheat. I also have a mill for wheat but wanted to tried out my TM5. Using the TM5 for this task is really nice, when you make it on the stove top you have to keep  ^^ or it will stick to the bottom pan and burn.

CC thanks fro the comment.

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 02:39:35 am »
Dinner is server

Soup of the day: Lobster Bisque
8oz Grilled Sirloin steak season to perfection
Sides baked potato with topping (your choice)
Sweet yellow cut corn with sweet Valdosta onion
Dessert: Chocolate  mousse

I have been busy, started last night making the chocolate mousse, I use a recipe off youtube the big problem was the lady spoke French and the recipe was also in French and I don't read or speak French, I know so why did I use that recipe because it look soooo good and my goal is to tried recipe from far-away places. Well to start my whites did not look like hers when I was done, this might be because my eggs were cold and had been sitting in the refrigerator for couple of weeks. I tried to separate my egg whites by the way Supermum_of_3 said to do, letting the egg whites run under the MC but that did not work for me my egg whites were to thick again maybe do to being cold or age? The mousse turn out rich and smooth but not light like mousse should be. My next attempt will be the one in the basic cook book.

Today I made the lobster bisque, I use the recipe on Bellini website I could not find one for the Thermomix. It came out OK, it was missing favor it was bland. Next time I will turn up the heat a little plus add one more tail, than simmer the shells after removing the meat after steaming. When the bisque was done I puree it then strain the bisque before adding the meat, I think this was a mistake, I should have cooked it longer at a little higher temperature and puree it longer. My thought is that the Bellini might get up to set point quicker but I have nothing to base this on.

My DW brought me a recipe for a watermelon drink she wanted to tried while I was cutting up some watermelon, so I quickly sever her (I who obeys)

So how did my dinner turn out, I would give it a 3 out of 5 it was all eaten but I have some work to do.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 02:59:51 am by Allen USA »

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 02:49:02 am »
Forgot the pictures again :o

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 07:19:57 am »
You are to be commended Allen. Well done.
I adore the idea of Lobster Bisque, but they are outrageously expensive over here. I think we export most of ours.
The mousse looks nice.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 07:58:01 am »
Allen, I wonder if you could use Isi's shrimp cream soup recipe and substitute lobster for shrimp (or as we call them in Australia, prawns). http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2673.0 This recipe has good reviews, read them under the recipe.

I love your enthusiasm to get things right, it takes time but you will get there.  At least everything you are cooking is getting eaten, a lot of mine ended up in the bin in the early days!
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2016, 02:58:59 pm »
Cookie, tail are also expensive here too. I found them on sale for $4.00 ea for the small tails, so I bought some to tried out.

Judy, Thank you for the link I will give the shrimp soup a tried, first as the recipe reads I want to taste what others are cooking and go from there.

I hope you ladies are enjoying my little log here and thanks for the comments.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2016, 08:59:19 pm »
Its great seeing photos of your cooking Allen.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2016, 04:11:24 am »
I'm enjoying it immensely Allen.

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 02:12:21 am »
Thank you fro the feedback ;D

Offline Allen USA

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 02:14:18 am »
All Thermomix tonight,
I made the Salmon with Mushroom cream sauce and potatoes, I used the basic cookbook recipe and sub the salmon with tilapia (tilapia is what I had on hand), I also lightly oiled and seasoned the potatoes before cooking. DW said the potatoes and fish still needed more seasoning (I took note) salmon would had been better for this disk because tilapia does not start out with a lot of flavor. I haven't steam fish before so this is a learning stage for me. We both thought that the mushroom with the cream sauce came out well. I was very happy with the meal and even happier with the sauce, one of my main reasons for buying the TM5 is to make sauces and soups.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2016, 07:09:21 am »
I was very happy with the meal and even happier with the sauce, one of my main reasons for buying the TM5 is to make sauces and soups.

In that case anything else you make in the TMX is a bonus Allen. The machine does make great sauces and soups. It also makes many other things as you will see from the list of category choices on our home page.  Your meal looks very nice.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 09:29:43 am »
Your meal looks appetising Allen. I rarely made sauces before the thermomix. Now they are so easy.