Author Topic: How do you get the best value out of your Frequent Flyer Points ?  (Read 10378 times)

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
Hi All,
We have been saving Qantas frequent flyer points as we would love to take our 3 kids to America for the ultimate holiday ! Before kids I used my frequent flyer points once for a trip to the UK and all it cost me was points. Nowadays though this is all so much different ! If you book a rewards flight, it can cost sooooo much in Airport taxes etc etc and in the end you can sometimes get a much better deal by paying for you flight ! Sooo what's the point !

I was speaking to my neighbour today, and they never use their frequent flyer points for air travel. They use it to pay for accommodation or car hire and they just pay for their flights and get the best deal  ! So I wondered since there are many travellers on here, what do you all do to get the best value for your points ? We have quite a lot of points, and we're probably not looking at going until DS4 (nearly 5) is about 7 and we just want to work it that we get the best value after saving all these years !

There's got to be tricks to all of this, so I'm hoping you all have some good advice !

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: How do you get the best value out of your Frequent Flyer Points ?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 08:45:52 pm »
i be watching this thread i have the same problem

i dont understand why the taxes are so much more when using points  >:(
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 12:38:20 am »
i be watching this thread i have the same problem

i dont understand why the taxes are so much more when using points  >:(

Yehh it's crazy ! I'm on a mission .....  I've just read a few articles that were saying using them for upgrades from economy to business / first is the best use. This is useless to me though ! I want to use them to make the overall cost of the holiday cheaper and pay for one of the larger costs hopefully !

I'll post my findings though !

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 01:29:08 am »
I have also found that using FF flights (particularly for overseas flights) is not really worth the hassle.  Like you said, the taxes and charges still cost heaps, and there are restricted seats on restricted flights available to use FF point with.  You are also restricted to one airline, when another one may have better offers or more convenient flight times with shorter stopovers etc .....I have found that it is best to shop around for the best possible deal at the time, irrespective of whatever airline that is.  I tend to use my FF points for shopping vouchers (ie BigW, Coles, Woolworths) and use them to cut down my grocery costs and save money that way.

I will also be very interested in reading what other people do.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 01:47:00 am »
Ohhhh also, my neighbour was telling me that when they were returning from Ireland I think it was, when they originally booked the flights they wanted business class but couldn't justify double the cost, anyhow when they checked in for their flight to Dubai they enquired at the counter about the cost of upgrading to business class. They had found out (due to some problems with their tickets) that the flight was overbooked. So normally the airline would have had to upgrade other economy passengers at no charge but the cost to them to upgrade for this sector was $700 for both of them .......... a hell of a lot cheaper than paying the upgrade at the time of booking.

Thought this might be of interest to others.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 02:51:27 am »
Ohhhh also, my neighbour was telling me that when they were returning from Ireland I think it was, when they originally booked the flights they wanted business class but couldn't justify double the cost, anyhow when they checked in for their flight to Dubai they enquired at the counter about the cost of upgrading to business class. They had found out (due to some problems with their tickets) that the flight was overbooked. So normally the airline would have had to upgrade other economy passengers at no charge but the cost to them to upgrade for this sector was $700 for both of them .......... a hell of a lot cheaper than paying the upgrade at the time of booking.

Thought this might be of interest to others.
Our travel agent told me the same.  But you can only ask for an upgrade from,  say Melb  as you book in.  Thought I would ask for first class and see what happens.  Told Ral, he just laughed. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 10:39:57 am »
We use ours for upgrades.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 11:22:59 am »
Research research research. If booking a QF /EY flight book it through Etihad too avoid  some taxes. You can use your FF points on code share.

Join this web site for a lot of very good hints and great traveller tales http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/

Check all the code share with  your airline of choice. It is often cheaper to book with the 'other one' . Be a smart shopper and always ask. Never pay booking fees. Be careful of bucket shops and travel agents who will  book you on the airlines that gives them a kickback. But a good travel agent is worth their weight in gold. Make friends with them. Check everything three times. Check various routes. The long way may be the cheapest way. Check various website to learn which Airlines never to fly. You will be surprised.

If using  your FF points book well in advance. Upgrades are usually done the night before the flights so ask at the last minute to use your points for an upgrade. With any luck you will bump the Captain's wife.

Make friends on the inside who have access to the airlines operating system.

When overseas check local airlines in person for a better deal. You may be able to cancel and get a refund of expensive flights  in favour  of a cheapie using your FF points.

When travelling with children get bulkhead  seats. 

If you need to pee often book aisle seats. The only time I would book as window seat is if it were a bulk hood seat as you can usually manage to climb over.

The seats in front of exit aisle  seats do not as a rule recline on domestic flights.

If you are looking for an upgrade at check in Service Desk using your points,  dress appropriately. It DOES matter. You will never find someone in J/F wearing cut off jeans and thongs unless they are rock stars. When trying to negotiate a better deal at check-in let one person do the deal and EVERYONE else back off and stand to the side quietly this includes  agitated spous and children. The less carry on luggage the better when approaching the service desk. Hide it around the corner.

When travelling in the USA never mouth off at customs or immigration. Then have no sense of humour at all. You may find yourself in the airport lockup.

That bit is just a gratuitous bit of info. LOL!

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 12:00:15 pm »
Thanks Gert, you are the travel guru
Denise

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 12:35:06 pm »
LOL bedlam. Not by a long shot but  I have done a fair amount of travel by air in my nearly 3 score years and 10 and both my husbands worked  for airlines. I have had the good fortune  to have had Intimate knowledge over the years with airlines and travel agents. The industry has changed  and evolved rapidly in the past 20 years and not always in the best interest  of the consumer.

More people are flying that ever would or could because it is a lot cheaper. It is cutthroat. The interest  of shareholders is paramount  these days.

It is a lot harder these days than it ever was to have  a good experience. 

It is much easier to use your FF points on domestic  flights  than International.

Always explore using all the FF points  in one direction and  paying for the return.   Getting put of town with FF points may be easier than getting back.

Forget school hols and always check what  events are taking place in your destination. Never plan to use FF points anywhere the World Cup is for any sport. Airlines are smarter than you and block these  seats. However you may get lucky with an upgrade.

Never expect things to go smoothly as we have seen today with CC trying to get to Melbourne.  We are at the mercy of the elements.

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 09:49:33 am »
Thank you Gretchen, you're a wealth of information !

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 10:04:17 am »
I am sure there are a few people on the Forum who work in the Industry who  could give good advice on this subject and many more who could share their experiences.

Gert
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 10:06:06 am by Gertbysea »

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 11:24:12 am »
We use our FF points for Business Class travel and have done so several times now. Even paying the taxes it is still worth it as we would never pay for Business class seats.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline beyondbeeton

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 11:32:47 am »
Great advice from Gert.

We use the points for international upgrades when we can as we think that's the best value for us. However our chances of getting upgrades have decreased as we now need 3 seats together plus preferably a bassinet seat...so we would look at other options.

Your status with the airline will also affect the likelihood of getting upgrades. My husband flies very frequently for work and has high status with the two major airlines operating here so they are pretty good at accommodating us where possible.
Mum to two hungry boys born Dec 2010 and July 2013.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 12:00:03 pm »
The likelyhood of getting a bassinet using points would be about nil I should think but you never know if you book well in advance or just fluke it.

The whole frequent flyer thing is trickier and trickier. The real bummer is not knowing if you get an upgrade until you are nearly at the gate.

If you are travelling  a long haul then it does pay to shop around if you want business class seats. There are often real bargains to be had . Not so much on domestic . We once got 2 J class seats  on Vietnam Airlines  from Ho Chi Minh to Sydney on a brand new Aircraft for $1500 just hours before take off. Lovely flight .

Gert