Author Topic: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe  (Read 137397 times)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2012, 06:47:35 am »
i have heard of that 2 francesmct , please dont take my advice would not want you to get sick   
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 14, 2012, 11:46:47 pm »
It was my first attempt at yoghurt using proper yoghurt starter today (thanks faffa! :D)

But I think I must have gone wrong in the process somewhere because the yoghurt is definitely not as thick as I was expecting. Or maybe I just had my expectations to high? 1 jar was a little bit runny but still had a bit of substance to it. The other jar was just milk :(

I was hoping that someone with more experience with the cheeselinks yoghurt starter might be able to help me find where I went wrong?

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2012, 09:31:39 pm »
It was my first attempt at yoghurt using proper yoghurt starter today (thanks faffa! :D)

But I think I must have gone wrong in the process somewhere because the yoghurt is definitely not as thick as I was expecting. Or maybe I just had my expectations to high? 1 jar was a little bit runny but still had a bit of substance to it. The other jar was just milk :(

I was hoping that someone with more experience with the cheeselinks yoghurt starter might be able to help me find where I went wrong?

Did you heat it to the required temp and then cool it to the required temp and stir the milk thoroughly so the temp is even throughout?  Those exact steps are important. 
 If it is too hot it will kill the culture.  If you don't heat the milk to the maximum temp, the proteins in the milk will not "jell" and clump together.  Did you maintain it in the required incubation temperature for at least 8 hours?

I use the exact same culture, available here in the U.S.  and I've never had a fail using the commercial cultures.  I often allow the incubation to go longer, for 12 to 18 hours, because I like a "tangy" flavor. 

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2012, 10:15:30 pm »
That's such a shame Amy. I use the cheese links starter and follow faffas instructions to the letter and never had a failure. As Andie says the most important part is te cooling to the correct temp and incubating. I do mie at night and put in a warmed thermoserver overnight in the microwave because it's still cold overnight here.

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2012, 11:27:14 pm »
I'm sure I followed those steps exactly Andie. I have made it twice more since I posted last. The first time both jars turned out really good, the second time (a couple of days ago) I have ended up with one of the jars like milk again.

Wonder, I use two Easiyo jars for my incubating because nights are so cold here at the moment. Maybe I am using those wrong? ???

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2012, 12:20:35 am »
Sorry we can't be of more help Amy. I didn't have much luck before I started using the cheeslinks starter but each batch since then has worked well, we still strain for a little while because we prefer the thicker creamier greek sytle yoghurt but i could stand a spoon straight up in the yoghurt before I strain so it is quite solid.

I did notice the batch I made last night wasn't as thick as normal and think it may have been a result of the bowl having some residue from the pasta sauce we cooked for dinner. After the first 20 minutes of mixing there was a little foam on the top and it had a slightly red tinge to it, I wondered if it would impact it at the time but thought I would keep going. The yoghurt was still thick but not like each of the previous batches. Do you think there could have been some residue in the bowl?

I've seen or used the Easiyo so no idea about the jars. I put ours in the microwave after someone else mentioning it's a smaller area to keep warm.

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 21, 2012, 12:55:11 am »
Thats okay Wonder, its probably some tiny thing that I haven't even noticed I'm doing :-))

I use long life milk, but I read that its okay to use. There is always froth on the top when I finish the 20 minute mix at 37 degrees, but since its happened every time I thought it was normal?
I always pull the TMX apart and give it a really good clean and dry. I don't think there would be any residue left in there :-\

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2012, 01:06:33 am »
Maybe it's the long life milk? There could be something in it that reacts with the culture process. PM faffa, but I don't think she is on the computer much nowadays.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2012, 02:00:32 am »
The local health food store advises people who use the milk that is packaged for storage at room temp - I think it is comparable to long-life milk - to add 2 drops of calcium chloride to each liter when using it for yogurt or kefir.

Mix it before the milk is heated to 180° F  or 87° C. 

Cooling it to 40° C., and making sure the entire batch has dropped to that temp because milk can hold heat in "hot spots" no matter how it is heated.

It should be held during incubation between  85 and 100° F  or  right around  35° C., for the entire 8 to 12 hours of the incubation period.

Acid can inhibit the action of the culture - which may have been your problem, Wonder. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline SueJen

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2012, 02:10:34 am »
Hi Amy, I only use long life milk

This is what I do and it works every time. I do drain it in a muslin lined bag because we like it thicker.

pour 1 ltr of milk into thermo
add 2 tablespoons of yoghurt (saved from last lot)
Mix 5 seconds speed 3
heat 10 minutes/37degrees/speed 2

then pour into my easiyo thingo
then make another batch and pour into a wide neck thermos

always make 2 litres at a time. Then leave overnight and then wait til kitchen gets a bit warmer, about 10am.Then pour it into bag to drain.

Not the proper way, but works for me. ;D ;D ;D
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter”. - Martin Luther King, Jr

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2012, 03:33:51 am »
Why don't you make it with all that beautiful raw milk SJ?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline SueJen

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2012, 03:40:59 am »
First time I had raw milk, last weekend and already had yoghurt in fridge.

CP, use yoghurt lots, breakfast with muesli, and use with everything that calls for cream or sour cream also make lots of yoghurt cheese. So easy to make cheese with varoma some herbs and citrus peel.
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter”. - Martin Luther King, Jr

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2012, 04:28:10 am »
Thanks for the advice Andie, CP and Sue :) :)

Sue, I think I will give your method a try sometime ;)

Offline SueJen

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2012, 05:39:17 am »
Amy, its really easy and never fails. :) :) :) :)

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 29, 2012, 07:17:16 am »
Another question.  if I am using natural pot set yoghurt rather than the proper starter is it still 1/8 of teaspoon?