Author Topic: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe  (Read 138310 times)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
Re: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2012, 01:36:22 am »
Thanks Andie, I saw a view reviews on Amazon that mentioned the metallic taste. I particularly like it becuase it seemed to be quite compact and have it own container. Can the one you link to be washed in the dishwasher? I was also looking at jelly bags  which seems similar to this one.

I've put it through the dishwasher on the top rack - on its side.  I've used it a lot and it has not discolored and the mesh is still fully intact, in spite of being scraped with a spoon - I try to remember to use a silicone scraper but sometimes forget...
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2012, 01:57:10 am »
I'm able to purchase the one you've mentioned via amazon and it doesn't work out much more expensive than buying the cuispro one in Australia so might have to change my mind.

The yoghurt I made last night is nice and thick but would still prefer to drain slightly for a creamier texture. I'll have to just use muslin and put up with the mess for a few more weeks.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2012, 01:21:01 am »
I made this yogurt exactly as per the instructions and left to set overnight in the thermosaver in the microwave, the resulting yoghurt was very thick but not the greek yoghurt texture we use. I strained through a jam jelly bag for approximately 5 hours and the resulting yoghurt is very thick with a smooth creamy texture. DD who is very fussy has declared it nicer than the purchased greek style she normally eats and is having some each day on her CADA. I was surprised the amount of whey that was drained and have used it in a few loaves of bread without any noticeable affect on the taste of the bread. I'm going to try making some more today using the current batch as a starter and see how that goes. I found once it was strained to the thickness we like I ended up with around 500g from the 1 litre I started with.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2012, 04:57:16 am »
What sort of milk did you use Wonder?

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2012, 06:21:53 am »
I used full cream Amy. I'm sure it would work the same using lower fat milk. It's the straining that gives the much creamier and thicker texture.

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2012, 08:22:14 am »
Cool beans, thanks Wonder :)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2012, 09:03:13 am »
Amy I also purchased the cheeselinks started mentioned a few times in the thread. I tasted the yoghurt for the first time this afternoon with some CADA and there is virtually no tang to it at all, no wonder DD likes it so much it's almost like a thick cream. I think from memory if you use lower fat milk you get more of a tang so I might need to try that. I'm making a batch at the moment using some of the last batch as my starter and will then strain for even longer to try some yoghurt cheese and for tzatiki on the weekend to have with slow cooked greek lamb.

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2012, 09:11:22 am »
That sounds good Wonder :D

Hopefully I will have some cheeselinks starter soon ;)

Offline Lucyluu

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2012, 01:28:14 am »
To strain my yoghurt, I purchased an offcut of sheer curtain fabric,(about half a metre), double it then  place that in a strainer and leave to drain overnight. Works really well and when the yoghurt is nice and thick it separates easily from the fabric. I usually end up with about 500grams of yoghurt from one litre of milk. I started with a carton of natural greek yoghurt (low fat) from the supermarket and I  just make a new batch from the old batch each time. Have been doing so for about 5 months no problems and its always nice, thick and creamy.
Chief cook and bottle washer

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2012, 01:54:21 am »
I'm going to do my first batch of yoghurt with proper yoghurt starter today. I'm so excited!

BTW faffa, I've just got to wait until Monday (pay day ;D), I hope you don't mind...

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2012, 02:17:35 am »
amywhich starterdidu buy fromcheeselink
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2012, 02:26:38 am »
amywhich starterdidu buy fromcheeselink

;D ;D ;D

I'm not sure Uni. Faffa ordered it and had it sent to me :D :D :D As far as I know its just yoghurt starter ;)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 09, 2012, 05:28:38 am »
This is the one Uni  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2012, 06:49:43 am »
I made my first batch of yogurt last night using Jalna pot set natural yoghurt as a starter. It worked really well.

I drained it for about 4 hours this morning using a cheese cloth lined colander. It came out nice and thick. I am going to make some bread right now using the whey.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 09, 2012, 07:03:11 am »
thanks faffa, i hope you are feeling better .
i don't need a recipe i'm italian