Author Topic: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe  (Read 138327 times)

Offline Shirlmac

• View Profile
Re: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2012, 09:46:51 pm »
I ran out of full cream milk so used Paul's Smarter White one time & was thrilled with the mild taste so have been using the low fat milk ever since. I drain my yogurt in a sieve lined with new chux cloth until 300 - 400 whey drains out. Love the thought of having a yoghurt drainer so have ordered one from Everton - this will make the process so much easier. When I decant my Greek yoghurt I blend it with a hand mixer to make smooth & it's delicious.
Eat well, train hard and enjoy life! :)

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2012, 10:13:01 pm »
That looks great Denzelmum! ;D ;D
How long did you let it sit for?

I left it for 5.5 hours
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2012, 10:13:12 pm »
I love Gippsland Dairy yoghurt. Does this taste like theirs?
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2012, 12:37:59 am »
I love Gippsland Dairy yoghurt. Does this taste like theirs?

I don't think I've even seen that yoghurt DG. Are you in WA? Maybe we don't get it here...

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2012, 07:17:33 am »
Amy I am in rural NSW. They are the best yogurts. So creamy
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2012, 07:24:58 am »
I've put them on my list of things to try when I go on my road trip around Australia ;D It probably wont be for a couple of years but there's no harm in planning ;)

jakodai

« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2012, 11:18:27 am »
I've put them on my list of things to try when I go on my road trip around Australia ;D It probably wont be for a couple of years but there's no harm in planning ;)

Drop by Melbourne, too!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2012, 11:21:38 am »

Drop by Melbourne, too!!!

I'd love to!! :D

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2012, 09:35:08 pm »
Be sure to read the yogurt carton labels and make sure there is nothing in the product but dairy and the culture.  Other ingredients can cause problems during incubation.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline CraftyMum

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2012, 07:57:36 am »
How long do you think yoghurt cheese would last in the fridge? Is it ok to Judy pop it in a Tupperware container of does it need to be covered in oil?

Just had some on crackers with sweet chili sauce - yum!!

Offline CraftyMum

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2012, 07:58:32 am »
Hate autocorrect!! ... just pop it in the fridge ...

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2012, 01:11:45 am »
I've started making our yoghurt again with a starter from Cheeselinks and it's turning out great. I would like to find an easier way for straining the yogurt to give a nice creamy greek style and to make cheeses. I've used muslin in the past and find it messy and time consuming so I'm thinking of buying the suispro donvier strainer. Is anyone using one of these at the moment and do you find you loose much of the yoghurt when taking from the strainer back into a storage container? Also do you just put it in the dishwasher?

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2012, 06:44:00 am »
Halley it's a personal choice, this recipe works well with a natural starter as well (just stick to the times and temps as that is where I have my success)

So when you say natural starter, do you mean just natural yoghurt that you can buy in C or W? ???
If so, would that be a cheaper option?

I am not a yoghurt maker Amy but I have looked into making my own and from what I read it is only the pot set yoghurts that you can use as a starter.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2012, 06:36:38 am »
I've started making our yoghurt again with a starter from Cheeselinks and it's turning out great. I would like to find an easier way for straining the yogurt to give a nice creamy greek style and to make cheeses. I've used muslin in the past and find it messy and time consuming so I'm thinking of buying the suispro donvier strainer. Is anyone using one of these at the moment and do you find you loose much of the yoghurt when taking from the strainer back into a storage container? Also do you just put it in the dishwasher?

See if you can find one of these  it is much better than the Donvier strainer.

The stainless steel mesh in the Donvier became corroded after only three uses and the yogurt had a metallic taste.  I sent it back to Amazon and they gave me a credit.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2012, 06:45:47 am »
Thanks Andie, I saw a view reviews on Amazon that mentioned the metallic taste. I particularly like it becuase it seemed to be quite compact and have it own container. Can the one you link to be washed in the dishwasher? I was also looking at jelly bags  which seems similar to this one.