Author Topic: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe  (Read 138384 times)

Offline CraftyMum

• View Profile
Re: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2012, 02:37:26 am »

I normally make it before I go to bed and just let it "cook" overnight.   I then let it cool in the fridge for the day and drain it off in a special drainer I bought.  We like a greek style yoghurt so I usually drain in for a few hours and then decant it into another container....I use the whey to make bread.  The drainer I got was the Cuisipro Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker....if I'm feeling nice to my daughter I will make labna for her (it disappears very fast), but I normally just use it to make greek style yoghurt.

Thanks for that. At the moment my whey is running down the sink!  I'll catch it next time :)  Do you use the whey instead of water when making the bread?  

I'm going to have a go at Labna once it looks the right consistency.  Are there particular 'marinades' to use - i was just thinking of olive oil with whatever herbs I can find in the garden - basil, oregano, some garlic, but don't have any chilli :(

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2012, 02:47:08 am »
i do use they whey instead of the water CM
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2012, 02:53:22 am »
Stacelee, thanks for the recommendation of the yoghurt strainer, I'm going to have a look around on-line for one, I think it's a great idea and will make it much easier for me.  Thanks again.   :)

stacelee

« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2012, 02:56:42 am »
I can't remember where I read it but somewhere it said you can use any liquid to make bread....I regularly use whey or my other favourite...beer.  We had a heap of home brew in the fridge that my husband was never going to drink so I baked my way through that.  I'm now onto the miscellaneous stubbies that we are always given at Christmas by different suppliers, we had to become a dry workplace for health and safety reasons so we don't distribute alcohol to our staff any more (too many legal implications).  I'm not a beer drinker and my husband only drinks it when it is really hot (the weather not the beer) and most of our friends are wine drinkers.

I usually make labna and store it in the fridge in olive oil with some peppercorns, crushed garlic and some basil or thyme.  If I'm really pressed for time (as opposed to thyme ;) ) I will just dump a bit of italian herb mix from the pantry.  It never lasts very long in our house particularly if there is any rye bread sitting around.

stacelee

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2012, 03:01:06 am »
Julie,

I bought mine from Amazon a couple of years ago and had it shipped via a freight forwarder.  I think they will ship it direct to countries other than America now....it is available for international shipping.  I've bought a lot of stuff from Amazon now,  I have a aebleskiver (sp?) pan, and some clothing coming for my son....I try and get stuff locally but some things I either can't get here or I just can't pay the markup that some suppliers put on stuff.  I've never seen the yoghurt cheese maker on any australian websites which is why I don't feel guilty about Amazon.

stacelee

« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2012, 03:04:00 am »
Blast...should look before I post....I've just made a liar of myself....there are a quite a few places in Australia that have them now....just do a google search :)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2012, 03:10:31 am »
Stacelee.  Found them at Everton on line, only $18.95 plus 7.90 postage.  One on its way.  :D

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2012, 03:11:12 am »
This yoghurt really need to carry the warning "addictive: you will not want to stop eating it!" ;D ;D

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2012, 03:01:28 am »
I only make 1 litre at a time too Jakodai and use a Cheeselinks starter.  I rang them when I first got it to ask how much should I use and the person I talked to said that she just sticks the end of a knife into the granules and lifts out only a few, far less than you'd think.  That is what I do now, you'll be surprised at just how little you need. 

Are you able to take a photo of how much next time JO so we can see how much you use please? I think a litre at a time would do us as well.

Here's the photo of the granules CP.

The yoghurt drainer arrived yesterday, so I put the pieces into the top rack of my dishwasher as recommended.

Last night I used just under 1 litre of milk to make yoghurt and then put it in the incubator overnight.

This morning I transferred it into the drainer and it just fit in.  Put it in the fridge and after 2 hours, checked it and removed the whey from the bottom of the tub and put the container back for another hour.  Checked it again and it was perfect as Greek style.  Didn't want it to go any further or it would become cheese.  ;D  I have 400ml whey.  I've read it's good to use in place of water in bread recipes?

So happy with how it works, little things like this make all the difference.  I will be trying to make goat's cheese, a recipe someone posted on here soon to see how that goes.  :D

jakodai

Re: Re: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2012, 08:11:56 am »
How long does everyone set their yoghurt for? I want it to set, but I don't want the flavor to be too strong, because it's primarily for DS.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2012, 12:29:49 pm »
I set ours for around 5 hours minimum . . . or overnight is very convenient . . .flavour is fine for us but you might have to test this out to determine what is ok for your DS . . . good luck!!

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2012, 03:42:23 pm »
Sorry Amanda, I missed your comment!
I actually leave mine to set for about 24 hours... I make it in the morning of one day, and then leave it until the next morning. The flavour is never really strong ;)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2012, 07:24:19 pm »
I start mine in the late afternoon or early evening and let it incubate until the next morning.

Remember, the higher the butterfat, the milder the flavor.  I use half milk and half cream (commercial half & half in the US) to get a thicker, milder flavor, similar to Greek yogurt.

If I want a really thick result, similar to clotted cream and with the milder flavor, I use heavy cream.

If I want a tangier flavor, I use low fat milk - you can also get a sharp flavor if you use goat milk or part goat milk.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2012, 11:15:57 am »
I join the club, using Jalna for culture.  Turn out beautiful  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2012, 12:15:45 pm »
That looks great Denzelmum! ;D ;D
How long did you let it sit for?