Author Topic: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe  (Read 138242 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2012, 06:28:57 am »
I only make 1 litre at a time too Jakodai and use a Cheeselinks starter.  I rang them when I first got it to ask how much should I use and the person I talked to said that she just sticks the end of a knife into the granules and lifts out only a few, far less than you'd think.  That is what I do now, you'll be surprised at just how little you need. 

Are you able to take a photo of how much next time JO so we can see how much you use please? I think a litre at a time would do us as well.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2012, 07:48:45 am »
Good idea CP, will do that for you.  Will be either late this week or early next.  :D

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2012, 08:01:13 am »
thanks JO  :-*
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline sue_purrb

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2012, 09:22:12 am »

My biggest concern with the starter is the cost of always buying more when I run out. Once I've bought the starter and it's in the freezer I don't have to worry about buying more. Then again, I'm sure I can make lots of yoghurt from one pot, and the cost isn't THAT much really. I forgot to look at he use by date when I bought it (very unlike me) but with the way DS goes through yoghurt I'm sure it won't go to waste! Lol.

Jakodai, you don't need to keep the original pot of yoghurt for the starter. Just use some for your first batch, and then keep some of that for the next batch and so on. You'll know when it's becoming less active as the yoghurt won't set as well. I made yoghurt regularly for a year without having to buy another pot as a starter.

Sue
Beauty is only fur deep.....

jakodai

« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2012, 10:55:08 am »
Jakodai, you don't need to keep the original pot of yoghurt for the starter. Just use some for your first batch, and then keep some of that for the next batch and so on.
I know, but because I'm making it primarily for DS (2 years) I'm a little anxious to do it. He's almost always unwell and seems to have a lot of trouble kicking bugs & infections when he does have them, so I worry a bit. I know I'm being paranoid, but I'd rather just play it safe.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2012, 11:00:33 am »
I know, but because I'm making it primarily for DS (2 years) I'm a little anxious to do it. He's almost always unwell and seems to have a lot of trouble kicking bugs & infections when he does have them, so I worry a bit. I know I'm being paranoid, but I'd rather just play it safe.

Does he have any food allergies or intolerances Amanda? ???

jakodai

« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2012, 12:28:27 pm »
Nothing that I'm aware of, but he has asthma and eczema. And he has glue ear, which causes a lot of ear infections that turn into throat infections and then chest infections. When he gets an infection he can't kick it on his own and his dr doesn't like giving him antibiotics. He always seems to be unwell, so I try not to risk anything if I can help it.

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2012, 12:31:30 pm »
Nothing that I'm aware of, but he has asthma and eczema. And he has glue ear, which causes a lot of ear infections that turn into throat infections and then chest infections. When he gets an infection he can't kick it on his own and his dr doesn't like giving him antibiotics. He always seems to be unwell, so I try not to risk anything if I can help it.

Oh, your poor little boy :( And it must be very hard for you too Amanda. Hopefully he will grow out of it?

jakodai

« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2012, 12:37:15 pm »
Oh, your poor little boy :( And it must be very hard for you too Amanda. Hopefully he will grow out of it?
I don't think he'll grow out of the asthma, it's a hereditary thing and no one in my family has. The glue ear will hopefully be fixed soon with grommets. HOPEFULLY!

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2012, 12:43:58 pm »
I don't think he'll grow out of the asthma, it's a hereditary thing and no one in my family has. The glue ear will hopefully be fixed soon with grommets. HOPEFULLY!

It would be good if you could get one of the problems fixed, so really I hope the grommets work for you too :)

Sorry, I have to mention that as soon as I saw the word "grommet", I thought of cheese ;D

Offline CraftyMum

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2012, 10:51:28 pm »
Hi Ladies,

My first try of yoghurt last night seemed to work!!  YAY.  But I'm wondering what temperature it should get to after the 5 or 8-10 hours of setting??

I don't have a Thermoserver yet and used our camping slow cooker to insulate my mixture overnight.  It's basically a stainless steel pot inside of an insulated container.  Overnight my yoghurt mixture went from 37 degrees down to 26 degrees.  I'm wondering whether that may be TOO insulated - should it get cooler than that?  I tested it at about 9 hours and it was set and scooped out well.  I've just put a couple of scoops in the fridge and have pulled out the stainless steel pot out of the insulated container and will let it sit on the bench a little while longer to see if that makes any difference - or should I just put it into the fridge?  I want to keep going and try Valerie's Yoghurt Cheese balls with half the mixture, so maybe I'll just do that with half.

Any thoughts you have would be great.

Thanks
Sandra

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2012, 10:55:29 pm »
good Q  CraftyMum
i use the thermal cooker 2, and never thought about the temp  :-))
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2012, 12:56:49 am »
Hi Ladies,

My first try of yoghurt last night seemed to work!!  YAY.  But I'm wondering what temperature it should get to after the 5 or 8-10 hours of setting??

I don't have a Thermoserver yet and used our camping slow cooker to insulate my mixture overnight.  It's basically a stainless steel pot inside of an insulated container.  Overnight my yoghurt mixture went from 37 degrees down to 26 degrees.  I'm wondering whether that may be TOO insulated - should it get cooler than that?  I tested it at about 9 hours and it was set and scooped out well.  I've just put a couple of scoops in the fridge and have pulled out the stainless steel pot out of the insulated container and will let it sit on the bench a little while longer to see if that makes any difference - or should I just put it into the fridge?  I want to keep going and try Valerie's Yoghurt Cheese balls with half the mixture, so maybe I'll just do that with half.

Any thoughts you have would be great.

Thanks
Sandra

Just put it in the fridge.  It may firm up a bit more after chilling.  It needs to be at the optimum incubating temp for a minimum of 5 hours (37° C or 100° F.) and then if it cools a bit (down to 30°C or 85°F) it will continue to "work" for an addition 3-6 hours and then should be chilled so that unwanted bacteria or molds do not invade from the air. 

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline CraftyMum

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2012, 01:29:54 am »

stacelee

« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2012, 02:18:17 am »
I have a centuries old yoghurt maker that I bought about 15 years ago.  I can't even remember what brand it is but I love it because it fits the easi-yo (sp?) large containers in it.  I also have a Salton yoghurt maker that I bought about five years ago when my much loved one looked like it was dead (we had a faulty power point....long story....involved the purchase of a couple of new appliances before we realised)  I tend to use the old one the most because I can use multiple containers in it.  I'm a bit ADHD (have I ever said that before :) ) when it comes to making things and I just bung 1 litre of milk in the microwave for 9 minutes, let it cool to about 40C and then dump a couple of tablespoons (give or take) of yoghurt in as a starter.  If I don't have any yoghurt around then I grab some starter out of the freezer (I get mine from Green Living Australia) and use a very little bit of that. 

I normally make it before I go to bed and just let it "cook" overnight.   I then let it cool in the fridge for the day and drain it off in a special drainer I bought.  We like a greek style yoghurt so I usually drain in for a few hours and then decant it into another container....I use the whey to make bread.  The drainer I got was the Cuisipro Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker....if I'm feeling nice to my daughter I will make labna for her (it disappears very fast), but I normally just use it to make greek style yoghurt.