Author Topic: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe  (Read 138145 times)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
Re: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe
« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2012, 12:28:09 am »
I have been scared of making yoghurt for ages, but Katie shared her starter with me, so no more excuses - this weekend is it!  I might start with a half batch though ........
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2012, 12:33:25 am »
Katie shared hers with me to Karen - she's a great sharer, got to love that girl  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 04, 2012, 08:40:23 pm »
Very disappointed this morning - my yoghurt was a total failure.  Completely liquid, no different to milk.  I was very careful with the temperature, and even checked with a cheese-making thermometer that I had, that it was below 37 degrees before adding the culture.  And it sat in the thermoserver on the bench all night, undisturbed.  ??? ??? ???  Maybe I will try again today with a different milk.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 04, 2012, 08:45:10 pm »
Karen - we wrap the thermoserver in a thick towel or blanket.  It's disappointing when that happens - and there seems to be very little explanation as to why it happens.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 04, 2012, 10:02:55 pm »
That still happens to me too Karen :(
I wondered if there might be a little bit of vibration when we open and close the cupboards under the bench :-\ I don't know sensitive yoghurt is but its was just a thought :-))

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2012, 11:23:34 pm »
It really is a puzzle as to why some succeed and some fail with our yoghurt making.  I wonder if it is all to do with the type of milk used.  You can't get more basic than what I used the other day though - home brand UHT skim milk because that was all I had in the house, not because it was my preferred choice.  My very first yoghurt ages ago turned out like yours Karen but that wasn't using the starter granules.  This time, using the granules it was thick but not as thick as some people's.  Last night I strained it to see just how thick it could become.  For eating with fruit added, the first lot was fine but for cooking I would want it to be as thick as the strained one. My next batch will be with Pura full cream milk like Katie used.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2012, 11:57:59 pm »
My first batch failed completely and was still milk the next day, just like yours.  My second batch was great.

Did you use organic milk Karen?  I did the first time, but the second batch I used Pura brand full-cream milk.  I don't know if that had anything to do with it though.

Fingers crossed your next lot will work out perfectly  :)
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 05, 2012, 12:17:57 am »
My first batch did the same Karen. I read somewhere to wrap the thermoserve in a towel and place gently in microwave overnight. This keeps it warmer for longer. Since then I have never had a failure with my yoghurt and I am not game to change. :)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 05, 2012, 04:09:38 am »
It is strange why some work and some don't, because the method is very simple ....... maybe it is to do with the milk??  Katie, I did use the Paris Creek organic biodynamic milk, which is why I will try a different milk next time.  I will also try wrapping the thermoserver in a towel or blanket, although it wasnt a cold night at all here last night.

What have others done with their "failures"??  I threw mine down the sink, even though I didnt really want to waste it, but it was milk that had been heated and sitting out all night, and I wasnt convinced that the cultures worked enough to stop nasty bugs growing.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 05, 2012, 04:13:04 am »
I just used my milky failures as I use milk Karen. I poured it on cereal and even put it in my tea. It was actually very nice ;D

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 05, 2012, 04:25:30 am »
i freeze it in zip lock bags and make smoothies,cakes ............. :-))
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 05, 2012, 05:35:34 am »
Righto then ...... at least I know what to do with my next failure!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 05, 2012, 07:32:52 am »
I tipped mine down the sink also Karen. I didn't really think about it until JD asked me why I didn't just keep it and make smoothies or something.

I guess I thought the same as you - it's milk that has been heated and it's been sitting out of the fridge all night.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 05, 2012, 11:11:32 am »
Karen I use my failures in bread making.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 08, 2012, 12:21:41 am »
I'm going to try to make yoghurt again today to use up some milk.  Although my last attempt was pretty runny, once it was strained it was perfectly usable and pretty tasty.  I'm going to use Faffa's recipe (with Jalna Potset yoghurt as the starter) and only use tepid water in the Easiyo jar instead of boiling water.   Hopefully I'll have better results this time round.