Author Topic: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?  (Read 443583 times)

Offline astarra

• View Profile
Re: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2012, 05:38:14 am »
Jude, alot of my garden last year was seeds from supermarket veg, and they worked well. Hope there are no nasty consenquenses... :)
:D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2012, 07:36:37 am »
Pumpkins are easy to grow, just throw the seeds in, and water them.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2012, 07:44:36 am »
Wonder I just asked my DH, we have about 90-100 roses. 20 more arrived today to plant this week. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2012, 08:34:07 am »
Astarra,  glad to hear of your success. It's kind of exciting seeing what happens. The capsicum plants look really good so far.  I am going to try pumpkin this way too Obbie.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2012, 09:23:55 am »
Jude i hear that red chillis from the supermarket produce trees that will deliver more chillis than you can use.  I am going to try this this year.

mcmich

« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2012, 10:27:37 am »
Yes Snappy, you will have chillies coming out of your ears. I have frozen chillies and have given away bag upon bag of them.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2012, 10:36:29 am »
My Mum has bell chillies. I pick heaps and freeze. Fantastic :)

[/url

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2012, 09:25:36 pm »
My DH loves a good bitey chilli but also likes them to have a nice taste.  Our problem is finding a chilli that has a good taste as well as a good bit of heat.  Any ideas or suggestions anyone?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2012, 10:58:48 pm »
Wombat made a hole it the wire fence around the veggie garden.  He doesn't eat the veggies,  but the hole will allow rabbits and wallabies to get in.  DH has put a sheet of tin over the hole as Wombats don't like metal.  They are stupid animals and difficult to stop once they have a mind to do something.  We will see what happens. 
About collecting seeds.  I have read that the seeds you collect from your own plants,  do better than other seeds as they are well suited to your climate.  I love the little plants that grow from seeds dropped in the garden.

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2012, 05:36:57 am »
I generally collect seed from my best performing plants/veggies and save.  The plants are generally better suited to my climate, more disease resistant, better fruit etc. 

You can have mixed results from saving seed from supermarket veg as it depends on the type of plant/variety, where it was originally grown (ie grown in Qld and trying to plant in Melb), whether it needs certain cross pollinators, or is a F1hybrid, etc.  But it's fun experiment, just don't get disappointed if it doesn't fruit or you don't get what you are expecting.

I've had interesting results saving my own seed from pumpkins which I've grown. I accidentally grew two types of pumpkins from the same family in the same patch, the seeds I collected that year when planted out gave me a strange hybrid of the two.  Still tasted good, but wasn't what I expected.

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2012, 09:24:07 am »
I'm thinking I'll also sow seeds from reputable places. But it will be interesting to see. The tomato plants our friend had were just brilliant and so strong. So pleased to get my hands on one of his tomatoes for seeds.  It's interesting to see what happens, but yes in future I will save my best performing plants as seeds.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2012, 11:10:29 am »
Medussa, my kaffir lime is fine, looks the same all year round :)

We dug & weeded the patch at the weekend, so all ready to plant :)

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2012, 11:16:28 am »
I love this forum, now i can't wait to get home to turn the veggie patch over and start my spring planting.  Thanks Girls (and fella's.)

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2012, 10:16:38 pm »
This family business in Tasmania have a great selection of seeds, I saw them on a cooking show recently.

http://www.southernharvest.com.au/
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2012, 06:20:47 am »
Well next year hopefully I'll have lovely fresh blueberries.  I purchased 10 plants today and will plant out on the weekend once I've decided where.  They are a mixture of varieties but all are deciduous.  Will deflower them for this season to give them a chance to get established.

Slowly establishing lots of different berries, I currently have raspberries, blackberries, jostaberries and a silvan berry and now blueberries.