Author Topic: Sloppy Joe (From Canadian Cookbook)  (Read 22305 times)

Offline MelissaS

• View Profile
Sloppy Joe (From Canadian Cookbook)
« on: July 27, 2009, 02:40:58 am »
Sloppy Joes
It’s so good, they won’t know it’s good for them! Because it contains both meat and vegetables, it is nutritious as well as delicious - much better than traditional canned Sloppy Joes. Served with bread or potatoes, it makes an easy and complete meal. It’s also good as a potato or hot dog topping.

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 5 min.
Cook Time: 7 min.

Ingredients:
•   1 small onion, peeled
•   1/2 green bell pepper, seeds removed
•   240g ground beef
•   60g ketchup
•   60g steak sauce
•   1 tsp. salt
•   dash of pepper
•   dash of Worcestershire sauce

Instructions:
With the Blades running on speed 3, drop onion and green pepper into the Bowl through the
opening in the Lid. Mix for 10 seconds. Add remaining ingredients. Cook for 7 minutes at 100°C on speed 1, turning down to 90°C, when steaming rapidly. Serve hot on toasted buns or hard rolls.

members' comments

Thermomixer - So good and so easy. Thanks Melissa.

CP - Never heard of Sloppy Joes, so gave it whirl tonight because it looked quick and easy! DD bought home some stale gourmet type buns from somewhere and I had just the right amount of mince that I was wondering how I could use it - or would I give it to the dog. Ducked out to grab the capsicum and a bottle of Steak sauce and I feel really chuffed that I never spent in excess of $8 and fed the four people (talk about being frugal !!!). Yep, everyone liked it and gave me the thumbs up. I can see what you mean that it would be really nice on a cooked potato with maybe a small dash of light sour cream and a sprinkling of chives. Said to my ever starving DS that he could make this quite easily himself.

brazen - made a few changes:

doubled the recipe without problem
used 1/2 red & 1 green capsicum
had to use half ketchup / half pasta sauce as I was out of ketchup (but would use tomato paste in preference next time)
just used lots of gluten free Worcestershire sauce as I don't have steak sauce and it's probably not GF anyway.
I also added about 1 tab of American mustard and stock concentrate instead of salt. We had them with homemade wedges.

ozzy-dj - Yum. I made as my first TMX Meal. So easy. Did add a jalapeno pepper and garlic. It is the sort of thing you can add seasoning as you like.

JD - We had this for lunch today over jacket potatoes & served with salad.  I personally found the mince to be a little dry so next time I will use 120g of Megan's tomato passata instead of 60g of the tomato sauce (ketchup) but will still use the steak sauce.  Have frozen the leftovers and will do as Cookie1 suggested i.e. add some baked beans to it which will give it the extra moisture I think it needs. Very nice though.
This is a good one for that thread where someone was asking for ideas on recipes for quick meals for drop-in visitors.  You can have a batch of the Sloppy Jo mixture in the freezer and just need to thaw it out, zap whole potatoes until cooked then crisp up in the oven or weber.  Quick as.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:17:26 am by judydawn »

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Sloppy Joe (From Canadian Cookbook)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 04:39:18 am »
love sloppy joes so will definitely e trying this one :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 04:40:48 am »
So good and so easy.

Thanks Melissa  :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:58:44 pm »
Never heard of Sloppy Joes, so gave it whirl tonight because it looked quick and easy! DD bought home some stale gourmet type buns from somewhere, and I had just the right amount of mince that I was wondering how I could use it - or would I give it to the dog. Ducked out to grab the capsicum and a bottle of Steak sauce and I feel really chuffed that I never spent in excess of $8 and fed the four people (talk about being frugal !!!). Yep, everyone liked it and gave me the thumbs up. I can see what you mean that it would be really nice on a cooked potato with maybe a small dash of light sour cream and a sprinkling of chives. Said to my everstarving DS that he could make this quite easily himself.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 09:03:45 pm »
I haven't tried this as yet, as wasn't sure about the steak sauce ie not sure if it's here in the UK, and not sure whether it would have additives?

I just googled for recipes to see if it was practical to make myself, and have found this one which looks practical.  Should be easy to do in a TMX:

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients:

* 1 cup ketchup
    * 1/2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
    * 1 large clove garlic
    * 1/4 cup water
    * 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    * 1/4 cup lemon juice
    * 1/4 cup white vinegar
    * 2 tablespoons soy sauce
    * 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    * 1 tablespoons prepared mustard

Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in saucepan and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes or until it reaches a good consistency, stirring occasionally. Cool. Strain to remove onion and garlic. Store in refrigerator. When cooked this sauce is brown and tastes almost like A-1 sauce.

http://bbq.about.com/od/grillingsauces/r/bln0216c.htm
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 01:32:36 am »
Ths sauce is very good. Of cours I had to add two birds eye chillies!

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Smurfy1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 06:33:18 am »
That does sound awesome!  I'm very tempted to give it a go tonight, and using my wholemeal bread rolls made by the tmx

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 06:50:26 am »
I love sloppy joes so will definitely be making these. I've been known to add baked beans too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Shally

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 08:34:41 am »
Melissa this recipe sounds really yummy!

Caroline - what a gem you are! ;D

I was reading through the posts and thinking 'what is steak sauce'  ??? then I read your post!  :)

That is so helpful   8)- many thanks

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 09:13:53 am »
finally made these tonight, yum!

made a few changes:

doubled the recipe without problem
used 1/2 red & 1 green capsicum
had to use half ketchup / half pasta sauce as i was out of ketchuup lol (but would use tomato paste in preference next time)
just used lots of gluten free worcestershire sauce as i don't have steak sauce and it's probably not GF anyway ;)
i also added about 1 tab of american mustard
and stock concentrate instead of salt

we had them with homemade wedges
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline ozzy-dj

• from my garden
    • View Profile
    • Golly's Kitchen
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 02:55:28 am »
Yum. I made as my first TMX Meal. soo easy. did add a jelepano pepper and garlic. It is the sort of thing you can add seasoning as you like.
dj

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 08:40:11 am »
Congratulations - good to see you don't have to follow the recipe to the letter -you'll fit in well   ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 05:29:58 am »
We had this for lunch today over jacket potatoes (DH hates jacket potatoes but I love them) served with salad.  I personally found the mince to be a little dry so next time I will use 120g of Megan's tomato passata instead of 60g of the tomato sauce (ketchup) but will still use the steak sauce.  Have frozen the leftovers and will do as Cookie1 suggested i.e. add some baked beans to it which will give it the extra moisture I think it needs. Very nice though.

This is a good one for that thread where someone was asking for ideas on recipes for quick meals for drop-in visitors.  You can have a batch of the Sloppy Jo mixture in the freezer and just need to thaw it out, zap whole potatoes until cooked then crisp up in the oven or weber.  Quick as.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 08:00:44 am »
We had this for lunch today over jacket potatoes (DH hates jacket potatoes but I love them) ....

LOL - sense of power there?  ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 11:27:51 am »
 ;D ;D ;D No Thermomixer it is called give and take.  I rarely give them to him so sometimes he has to take what is served up. He doesn't complain but he would if he got them once a week.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.