Author Topic: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?  (Read 439144 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?
« Reply #900 on: May 06, 2014, 12:04:20 pm »
It sounds lovely INAID.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #901 on: May 06, 2014, 11:06:14 pm »
INAID,  sounds lovely with kids involved. 
I picked a bucket of lemons yesterday as they were pulling the tree over.  Have had to prop the tree up as the soil is very wet with all the rain we have had.  Water cart now off the Polaris so can now fill the back with garden rubbish and branches from the Gum trees.
Cool but not raining today. 

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: May 06, 2014, 11:53:46 pm »
Too many lemons, a nice problem to have chookie.  I would like to try making some lemon powder with the dehydator. There is a huge lemon tree in a paddock close by laden, i keep thinking i will ask if i could purchase a bag full.  It looks neglected. But i am not brave enough.
Denise

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: May 07, 2014, 01:36:44 am »
I'm sure they won't mind you having some lemons Denise, those with trees are usually happy to share them around.  Unfortunately my neighbour's overhanging lemon tree hasn't produced any decent lemons for a while now and at the moment there is not 1 lemon to be seen on it. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #904 on: May 07, 2014, 03:47:00 am »
You are going to have to do something about that situation, Judy.  Perhaps you could sleep walk and accidentally arrange for a judicial scattering of fertiliser in the middle of the night one night?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: May 07, 2014, 03:55:21 am »
I think it's roots used to be watered from this side when I had lawn out the back Marina, now with fake lawn it's missing out.  That's when it started to go downhill but I would have thought the roots by now would well and truly have reached the water table as that's not far down where we are.  It took the chap not long at all to reach it when sinking a bore when we first moved in here.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: May 07, 2014, 04:27:45 am »
Judy, citrus trees are shallow rooted . . . the poor old tree needs its nutrients and water from the surface so it probably is sulking, or it could be any one of a dozen other causes. Have you thought about maybe a dwarf lemon in a pot?  :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: May 07, 2014, 05:19:05 am »
I have a dwarf orange/mandarine tree GF (still very much a dwarf though) but until this year I had a ready supply of lemons so I haven't given it much thought.  It will probably be easier for me to just buy some from time to time as I'm not doing much cooking these days and I could pick up a bag at the local veg market, squeeze and freeze the juice and freeze some zest as well I guess.  I'd then have it on hand if  I needed it.

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: May 07, 2014, 07:06:12 am »
Probably a good idea, Judy :D  Sometimes, just shopping for what we need like that is much more practical. . .  :D

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: May 07, 2014, 07:11:07 am »
This site was passed on by someone on my FB page - a brilliant idea IMO, not to mention a wonderful commentary on community spirit!!  an 8 unit vegetable garden based on the mandala or keyhole method of gardening. Chris also uses his set up as a chicken tractor.  A fantastic idea for any backyard or, on a larger scale, for a community garden.  Fox proof, possum proof, bandicoot proof . . . !! :D

http://www.strongbuild.com.au/indexe17.php?x=DIY~|^`14

This is presented in 4 parts by Chris Francis from Strongbuild, a building company in Berry, NSW
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the blog section on the Strongbuild website, Chris has some videos that take you through making the sections for a unit he's preparing for A Taste of Paradise Organic Farm, a non profit organisation set up by Tim Francis (no relation) to help underprivileged young people develop solid life skills, in particular how to grow nutritional organic food.   Go to this link below, but then click on the video and it will take you to the YouTube video which is larger and a little easier to see

http://www.strongbuild.com.au/blog1.php?x=BLOG~|^`24

Chris assures that the plans will eventually become available on the website for these, and any money raised from the sale of these plans will go directly to A Taste of Paradise Organic Farm.

(When you've had a good look at these links, make sure you take a look at the home page of Strongbuild at some of the homes these people are building!!  :D )

I've just tried them and the links don't work directly.  When the page comes up, just go to the DIY button :(toward the right hand side) for the first section, and to the BLOG (far right) for videos on construction . . . .
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:26:49 am by goldfish »

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #910 on: May 07, 2014, 07:27:53 am »
Have spent the afternoon in the garden,  weeding and cleaning up.  The 2 chooks keeping me company.  Cold but sunny.
GF ,  need to spend some time on that link, thanks.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: May 08, 2014, 02:06:26 pm »
After over 50mm last night and 30 - odd mm in the week prior, ;D ;D I think I can now start deciding on what to plant for winter veges. Miss 12 said "spuds first".

So happy it has rained and my paddocks are looking green. Feeling like getting into the garden now  ;D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #912 on: May 08, 2014, 11:19:08 pm »
Another day in garden , yesterday and today.  Cutting out Blackberries. Planting Garlic today.  Going to rain again tonight.
Wallaby visited last night and ate the onion top just outside kitchen door.  Very selective.  Hope they give it belly ache.  He has 25 acres of grass to eat.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: May 08, 2014, 11:26:02 pm »
But he WANTED the onion top!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #914 on: May 08, 2014, 11:29:01 pm »
But he WANTED the onion top!

Gert

So do I. ,!