Author Topic: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?  (Read 443796 times)

mcmich

Re: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?
« Reply #570 on: April 12, 2013, 07:51:27 am »
Well worth covering the trees Chookie. Great harvest and yummy things planned to cook with them.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #571 on: April 12, 2013, 08:30:20 am »
Yes,  Michele.  Tomorrow is the Farmers market swap.  I would like a couple of cucumbers,  maybe someone would like some apples.  Last night on SBS, on the Danish segment,  they made a quick cucumber salad by pickling them.  I did this today and they were delicious. think you would like this.  Simple and fresh tasting.  Make a mixture of equal parts of raw sugar and apple vinegar. Slice the cucumber VERY. Thin, soak in solution for 20 mins.   I used that potato thingy to slice the cucumbers.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:52:00 am by judydawn »

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 12, 2013, 08:36:03 am »
Chookie, what a wonderful garden you have.  We have a apple and a nashi pear both with grafts of other varieties on but the coddling moth attacked the apples.  Will be doing something about that next year.

Marie

mcmich

« Reply #573 on: April 12, 2013, 08:55:11 am »
Yes,  Michele.  Tomorrow is the Farmers market swap.  I would like a couple of cucumbers,  maybe someone would like some apples.  Last night on SBS, on the Danish segment,  they made a quick cucumber salad by pickling them.  I did this today and they were delicious. think you would like this.  Simple and fresh tasting.  Make a mixture of equal parts of raw sugar and apple vinegar. Slice the cucumber VERY. Thin, soak in solution for 20 mins.   I used that potato thingy to slice the cucumbers.

Thank you so much Chookie. That cucumber salad would be right up my alley. DH and I love pickled anything. What would happen if you soaked it overnight? Just would like to prepare ahead.
I'm doing this tomorrow. Yummo  :D

mcmich

« Reply #574 on: April 12, 2013, 09:04:56 am »
I have one cucumber in the fridge and I'm off to make this now. Will see how it is in the fridge overnight.  :D

mcmich

« Reply #575 on: April 12, 2013, 09:24:10 am »
Will try it in 20 minutes and then see how it tastes tomorrow.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #576 on: April 12, 2013, 11:42:11 am »
Michele i think it will be fine,  just a little softer.  let us know.

mcmich

« Reply #577 on: April 12, 2013, 08:23:06 pm »
Very yummy after 20 minutes even better overnight. It didn't soften much, still had a nice crunch to it.
Thanks for the recipe Chookie.  :D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #578 on: April 12, 2013, 09:32:16 pm »
Michele,  thanks for doing the experimenting and reporting back.

mcmich

« Reply #579 on: April 13, 2013, 09:19:21 am »
Have had some pickled cucumber tonight and the flavour is better than ever - it has lost the vinegar taste (which was OK) and just has a marvellous sweet/sour fragrant loveliness. I'm going to try and re use the marinade like I did the cabbage. I would definitely leave in the fridge overnight - for my palate it was much better.  :)

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #580 on: April 13, 2013, 10:42:00 pm »
Great sounding cucumber pickle.  Will try it also.  We are still doing well with veg. Tomatoes all out now but have been eating our own sprouting broccoli, which we have not grown before. It's lovely.  Other broccoli is starting to head now too. Love love love having our own veg.  Still have a lot of beetroot too.parsnips growing well and cabbage seedlings.  Want to put in loads of other stuff  :)
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #581 on: April 13, 2013, 11:12:15 pm »
Jude,  sounds great.  Love picking from garden. More apples and horseradish. . Yesterday planted lettuce,  sweet peas, sugar snap peas, pansey,  all in large pots.  Not ready to plant up veggie garden,  need a load of cow manure to cover. Newspaper and chook poop.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 14, 2013, 01:46:23 am »
Just got given lots of chokos
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #583 on: April 14, 2013, 02:39:05 am »
I don't often buy spring onions,  instead I use little chappies. I think they are called tree onions, they grow from the small bulbs, in the photo. I use the bulbs which grow on top of the stalks to pop into a roast chook. The green top are available all yeat and I use as garnish for soups.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #584 on: April 14, 2013, 02:42:02 am »

Onions