Author Topic: Mars Bar Slice  (Read 36770 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile
Mars Bar Slice
« on: May 14, 2009, 08:25:35 am »
Name of Recipe: Mars Bar Slice
Number of People: It depends on how greedy you are haha. 1-8 is my best estimate. :)
Ingredients: 60g Mars Bars (x3), Butter (90g) and CocoPops (3 cups)

Preparation:
Get yourself three Mars Bars (60g size) and chop them up into 1cm pieces. Place in TM. Then grab 90g of Butter and chop into 1cm pieces as well (It helps it melt down quicker.) Place in TM.

Set timer to 10mins at 50 degrees on Speed 1

Check after 10mins that the butter and Mars Bars are all melted and mixed together properly.

Place 3 cups of CocoPops in the TM, set on Reverse :-: mode and Speed Soft ^^ for as long as it takes for the TM to mix the chocolaty goo into the CocoPops evenly. It should only take 3-4mins if that.

Once mixed place contents in a medium to small sized tray with baking paper and flatten it out in the tray with a wooden spoon or spatula. Place in fridge for an hour or two and you're done.

Cut into slices and serve chilled or at room temperature.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:
The last photo is not a representation of the final quantity. I had already eaten half of the tray due to extreme yummyness.

Some people melt down milk chocolate to put a layer on top. I find this takes away from the unique Mars Bar taste. Try it without first as it's so quik and easy to make. Then try again with your favorite plain chocolate and see what you think. Each to their own.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 01:55:11 pm by Jad »
"But in your hearts set Christ apart as holy [and acknowledge Him] as Lord. Always be ready to give a logical defense to anyone who asks you to account for the hope that is in you, but do it courteously and respectfully." - 1 Peter 3:15

Offline bron

• View Profile
Re: Mars Bar Slice
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 10:03:47 am »
OMG! that looks amazing! My old school chums would love that! They are coming over in June, so I know what we will all be eating in the hot tub on the terrace of the 5* Hotel suite that we have booked! THX will be coming with! No men/kids allowed!
Amanda

Spain

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 10:12:30 am »
I've done this one before and the hardest part was mixing the coco pops through the melted choc and butter mixture.  Now, our wonderful TMX can do all the work for us.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:35:46 pm »
just plain cruel to some of us...  :'( ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 01:12:49 pm »
Love the sound of your old school chum get together Bron - this is something all women should get the chance to do occasionally. How many nights are you having together?

Offline Jad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 01:52:32 pm »
I've done this one before and the hardest part was mixing the coco pops through the melted choc and butter mixture.  Now, our wonderful TMX can do all the work for us.

SO TRUE!

I was actually really really impressed at how much better it mixed the CocoPops through. Because the TM bowl was still warm as the goo slide down the TM just keeps mixing it through and mixing it through til' every CocoPop is evenly covered. Way better than a bowl and wooden spoon hehe.

Another TM winner I think.  8)
"But in your hearts set Christ apart as holy [and acknowledge Him] as Lord. Always be ready to give a logical defense to anyone who asks you to account for the hope that is in you, but do it courteously and respectfully." - 1 Peter 3:15

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 09:28:10 pm »
Love the sound of your old school chum get together Bron - this is something all women should get the chance to do occasionally. How many nights are you having together?
Just 2 nights, we do it every year, our husbands don't trust us together any longer! Or maybe I should say can't cope without us any longer! The girls all live in London, so they fly over and we take a suite on the top floor with hot tub, and we spend 2 days non stop laughing, gossiping and end up all wrinkly from spending so long in the tub! Wonderful therapy, recommend it to everyone. We don't even leave the room, and we eat and drink all unhealthy things like when we were at school! Best mates now for 30 years, isn't that wonderful! We do cherish our friendship though! ;D ;D ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline Harmony

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 04:03:51 am »
I'm with you, Karen *sigh*

Although, the Cadbury family block of chocolate whip flavour is the closest thing I've tasted to a mars bar since going gluten free, and one could do it with GF rice bubbles...hmmm I think chocolate whip is being discontinued with the downsizing of the blocks though :( :( :(

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 04:39:10 am »
For us watching our weight, they used to do a lower fat version of Mars Bars but I haven't seen them around for ages now.

Offline Jad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 08:01:22 am »
For us watching our weight, they used to do a lower fat version of Mars Bars but I haven't seen them around for ages now.

I think they are just low fat because they are smaller in size. :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 08:04:24 am »
No, they were definitely lower in fat content - I checked it out at the time.  You used to be able to buy small ones in those snack packs.  Probably something in them which was not good for our health (other than fat I mean). Even mice loved them ;) ;) Before we removed a heater and filled all the holes behind it, they used to get into the house.  When we shifted a heavy bookcase, I couldn't believe it as there were 3 of those tiny mars bars behind and under it - 2 eaten into and the 3rd untouched. I used to keep them on a low table with other treats and guess who would have got the blame for eating MY low fat snacks - yes DH who would have denied it of course but it could have been a tricky situation had I know exactly how many should have been there and how many I had eaten. I used to have 1 a week when I was on a diet.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 08:10:50 am by judydawn »

Offline Jad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 08:12:58 am »
No, they were definitely lower in fat content - I checked it out at the time.  You used to be able to buy them in those snack packs.  Probably something in them which was not good for our health (other than fat I mean).

But they were smaller in size though, considerably. Compared to the 60g version I use in the recipe. You'd perhaps have to use 4 or 5 lite versions to make up for it. And there I am not sure just how much more 'low fat' it's going to be if you know what I mean.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 08:24:29 am »
I'm with you.  Annette Sym of the Symply cookbooks has a recipe using 2 x 44.5g lite Mars bars (50% less fat) and some golden syrup for the goo part which wasn't bad but obviously no where near as tasty as the full on one.  I'm not dieting now so I would do the full-on one but when you are dieting it is nice to have the option of something 'naughty' once in a while.  But, as I said, I haven't seen the light ones around for years now.

Offline Jad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 09:22:16 am »
I'm with you.  Annette Sym of the Symply cookbooks has a recipe using 2 x 44.5g lite Mars bars (50% less fat) and some golden syrup for the goo part which wasn't bad but obviously no where near as tasty as the full on one.  I'm not dieting now so I would do the full-on one but when you are dieting it is nice to have the option of something 'naughty' once in a while.  But, as I said, I haven't seen the light ones around for years now.

Ah that's good to know thanks Judy.

I work at Woolworths here in VIC and we still have the lite Mars Bars. Actually they were on special a couple of weeks ago.  ;) :D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 09:34:17 am »
Thanks Jad - great recipe and fantastic photo collage - makes it easier for people to understand what should be done - Ta muchly
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.