Author Topic: Plain White rolls - no fuss  (Read 344366 times)

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
Re: Plain White rolls - no fuss
« Reply #780 on: July 02, 2013, 09:01:01 am »
A lot of members proof and rise in the car in a warm winter day in Australia.
If outside be careful of,draughts as yeast is sensitive to such things.
Behind glass is probably safer.
I often first rise mine in top oven with bottom oven turned on to about 100'c. Proofing is harder in this oven as loaf tends to rise higher than oven. But by the the kitchen is warmer for the proof.

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 02, 2013, 01:40:30 pm »
I might be wrong but I'd put the blame on the fact that the bread was cooked in the bread maker.  I just don't think they get to a high enough temperature and there's no steam, just dry heat. I always bake in the oven with a bowl of water for steam. Bread needs that steam to help it cook better in my opinion. I'm not an expert like some of these other ladies but that's my two cents worth based on my own experiences.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 02, 2013, 01:42:22 pm »
That is sooo interesting and totally thinking outside the box, DJ. Proof in the car  :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #783 on: July 02, 2013, 01:55:05 pm »
Brumington.  Can't agree with you.  I often bake a very good loaf in the bread maker.  I think that it is important that you either follow the instructions for your machine,  or adapt the recipe to suit your needs.  Baking bread in the machine is similar to putting bread into a cold oven.  The first part of the process is like a second proving as the machine heats up,  the second 1/2 hour is the actual baking.
As a general comment,  individual tastes in bread is a VERY personal thing.   for example,  I don't like bread made with low gluten flour, ( plain flour). My DH likes the texture of bread made in the machine.  The texture is different to bread baked in the oven.  I will try and find some photos of bread made in the machine that I have made. 

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 02, 2013, 01:56:33 pm »
Second attempt failed too :(

Process:
- used warm water from thermos to activate the yeast. Have to try Uni's suggestion next round. Left in TMX bowl for about 10mins. Could only see a bit of bubbles on the surface.
- added ingredients and kneaded for 4 mins
- removed from TMX. Shaped into ball and placed into oiled Pyrex bowl. Covered bowl with cling wrap. Placed tea towel over bowl. Left the bowl in a sunny spot outside the house.
- removed from bowl after doubling in size. Shaped into longish shape and placed into bread maker pan.
- covered pan with cling wrap and tea towel. Left outside again.
- brought in after an hour. Dough rose to about 2/3 of pan. Placed it near slow cooker (made chicken curry)
- didn't rise any further after an hour. So used knife to make a cross. Could see dough deflate when making the x
- sprayed with water
- baked for 1 hour
- bread came out pale and dense :( :(

Not giving up. Just need to figure out this puzzle.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 02, 2013, 02:08:45 pm »
BZB, that is so disappointing. It took me a while to get my bread to work, but I'm baking it quite regularly now.
In winter, I've taken to proving my bread following the directions for the Vienna loaf - pouring boiling water into a tray in the bottom of a cold oven. It works really well for me. Or I put boiling water in a jug in the microwave next to the dough and leave the door closed. If it's a warm day, I prove it in the car.
 I've also found that if I put a little flour into the bowl after I've removed the dough and give it a whizz, I can tip out most of the dough dregs into the bin and the jug is a little easier to clean. Not sure where I heard that tip - it may have even been on this forum. I usually have some flour left on my pastry mat after I've rolled out the dough, so I tip that back I to the bowl with another spoonful of flour, and it seems to do the trick. It seems harder to clean once water is added. My grandma used to make glue for our craft projects by mixing flour and water.  :P
I also put extra flour on my doughy hands and rub them together to help clean them before I wash them with soap and water.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 02, 2013, 02:26:05 pm »
BZB what's the reason for baking the loaf in your bread oven?  Have you tried a normal oven to see if it works better? I just throw all the ingredients into the bowl, add warm water and knead - what are the benefits of activating the yeast? Is it fresh or dried yeast?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #787 on: July 02, 2013, 02:28:08 pm »
BZB,  this is a worry.  We all do different things with our bread so I am loath to change your process too much.  some questions, first,  why do you put your water in the thermos ?  Secondly,  why remove the dough from the TMX bowl for the first rise.  Third ,  where do you live. ?  not being a sticky beak,  but if close could give you a hand. Have you used the yeast to make other yeasty things.?   How old is the flour? What brand is your machine?
I have posted a fruit loaf recipe and process for bread machine,  there is also a discussion some where on what you are trying to do.    It may be on my Blog.  

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 02, 2013, 02:35:10 pm »
Thanks ES.

JD, the breadmaker is just so convenient. I can switch it on, and still leave the house for the kids' hundred and one activities. I've used the oven to bake little buns before, from dough made in the breadmaker. But have yet to try whole loaves. Will try it next, after I figure out the TMX-dough-baked-in-breadmaker puzzle :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #789 on: July 02, 2013, 02:37:10 pm »
Brumington and BZB, I have just had a quick check on my blog.  There are photos of both fruit loaf and a light wholemeal loaf,  both cookie in Bread machine.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 02, 2013, 02:38:39 pm »
JD, dried yeast. Just followed one of the tips on the first page of this thread. Activate yeast in TMX before adding other ingredients.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: July 02, 2013, 02:41:47 pm »
Found one post Chookie. Bread looks good. The pan looks like mine :)

Just the bread looks different. Hahaha

http://achookwoman.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/bread-making-with-tmx-and-bread-machine.html

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: July 02, 2013, 02:50:03 pm »
BZB,  this is a worry.  We all do different things with our bread so I am loath to change your process too much.  some questions, first,  why do you put your water in the thermos ?  Secondly,  why remove the dough from the TMX bowl for the first rise.  Third ,  where do you live. ?  not being a sticky beak,  but if close could give you a hand. Have you used the yeast to make other yeasty things.?   How old is the flour? What brand is your machine?
I have posted a fruit loaf recipe and process for bread machine,  there is also a discussion some where on what you are trying to do.    It may be on my Blog. 

Chookie,

I always pour excess boiled water into a thermos during winter. Can have warm water throughout the day :) What temperature water do you usually used for your breads?

Used a bowl, just to see if it would help. Plus easier cleaning of the TMX bowl...but I have another bowl to wash. Anyway, it has been proven to be an unnecessary step. Sigh.

I've been using this yeast almost daily, to make bread in the breadmaker. Defiance flour produced in April this year.

Mine is the current model of Panasonic.

I'm in Perth. Would still love a helping hand, Chookie ;D

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 02, 2013, 06:48:50 pm »
My only comment would be that if it doubles on first rise the process is clearly going well. ;D

It is however possible to over knead before shaping and reduce the second rise. The air needs knocking back but it is a gentler thing than the original kneading. There are you tube videos on shaping loaves.

Plus are you time bound on second rise?

It should rise until it JUST bounces back to finger touch. If firm and bouncy not enough rise, if sinks and does not bounce back too much proofing. It takes a while to teach your fingers but it does come easier the more you bake.
Hope this helps.
 ;D

Edited for typo
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 06:04:51 am by Droverjess »

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 02, 2013, 11:03:36 pm »
OK so my theory doesn't work! I had a cheap bread oven and it never made a good loaf. I'm sure a more expensive one would convert me!
I understand the convenience of a bread oven but the cooking in the wall oven only takes 30 mins. I cook it while we're sitting down to lunch.
I have also started resting mine on a brewing mat which my DH bought to brew beer. I rescued it from the garage and use it for bread and yogurt. Not sure how much it was though but it works perfectly.