Author Topic: Strawberry milkshake from syrup/cordial  (Read 5908 times)

Offline daska

• View Profile
Strawberry milkshake from syrup/cordial
« on: April 21, 2012, 11:54:19 am »
Can someone help me out with a recipe for a strawberry syrup? I've seen mention of there being a cordial recipe in EDC but don't have a copy.

My son's school sell milkshake every monday to raise funds for equipment but it's full of artificial colours/flavours/sweeteners which will send his behaviour haywire so I promised to find a replacement - but I need it by Monday and the supermarket only stocks horrible stuff.

I picked 2kg of strawberries because they were marked down and now I'm in a panic LOL
Off the south coast of England

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Strawberry milkshake from syrup/cordial
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 11:57:55 am »
Don't panic Daska, a recipe is on it's way for you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline daska

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 12:21:22 pm »
Fabulous, thank you very much, I better get bottling  ;D

Offline daska

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 06:24:11 pm »
OK, having tweeked I thought I would come back and share. Being for milkshake rather than cordial meant having to adjust the balance of ingredients quite substantially from the original recipe that judydawn was so kind as to send me. Milk being so sweet means you need less sugar than if mixing with water, but more intense strawberry taste. So without futher ado:

put strawberries, hulled, into the bowl
add their weight in liquid - I used half water, half apple juice (a bottle of Britvic 100% which I happened to have in the cupboard) but I think grape juice might do better. Having said that I think the pectin in the apple juice helped to slightly thicken the syrup so it's a matter of taste. Don't be tempted to use more than half apple juice unless you really want 'apple and strawberry' milkshake LOL

Blitz

cook to 90 degrees at speed 2 - half a kilo of strawberries took about 9 minutes

pass through a sieve into a jelly bag and strain

return liquid to bowl and add sugar - we found 350g to 1000g strawberry liquid a good compromise between what was acceptable to us (no sugar) and what chavvy kids brought up on crusha might accept (not sure there's actually a strawberry in the factory they make crusha syrup at, let alone in the syrup itself).

cook to 90 degrees

pour into sterilised bottles

refrigerate

(Given the low proportion of sugar I added citric acid rather than lemon juice to help extend the 'fridge life'. I forgot to do this before bottling so added 2 level teaspoons to each bottle - about 65cl each - I have no idea if that's enough but I'm not expecting this to last beyond a week given that it's got to go round 60 kids.)

Enjoy ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 03:14:06 am »
Glad you were able to end up with what you wanted daska.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline daska

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:33:10 am »
It's truly scrummy judydawn. I'm now going to tweak the recipe to see if I can come up with a way of prepping the basics to the point I can keep at least two batches of fruit juice in the freezer for a regular supply - it needs to be a concentrated concentrate as my freezer is only a tabletop size one.

What to do with the pulp...? I made cheesecake. I started with a base made from 250g chopped mixed nuts, a tsp of vanilla essence, 25g butter and a large egg. This was baked for 20 minutes at 180C and allowed to cool. I then mixed the pulp left from straining one kilo of strawberries with 250g of mascarpone cheese for the topping. Personally I didn't think it needed any sugar added but that's a matter of taste.