Author Topic: Trials and tribulations with new TM31  (Read 12822 times)

Offline Patzee

• View Profile
Trials and tribulations with new TM31
« on: July 15, 2009, 04:22:30 pm »
Hi all, received my new TM31 a couple of days ago.  Have been stuffing/feeding my family real well over the past few nights.  Made bread a couple of times, white sauce (real smooth and creamy), sticky date pudding (beautiful), pasta dish (too much chilli and pasta) and tried out a beautiful Morocan dish I found on this site.  The meals weren't perfect but I think I can improve next time.  Can anyone tell me how to make a smoothy out of a whole orange.  Made it twice but very pulpy. 
Anyway really enjoying my machine and hope to get a lot more proficient at using it and converting recipes as well.
Love this site, so helpful!  Thanks everyone,

Patsy

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Trials and tribulations with new TM31
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:16:07 pm »
welcome patsy!

i have't made an orange smoothie myself but i wonder if you are whizzing it long enough? (at least 1 minute, up to 2?)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:35:19 pm »
Hi Patsy

There is a recipe for orange juice here (which I haven't actually tried!):
http://www.joysthermomixexperiences.clancie.com.au/OrangeJuiceRecipe.htm

I make smoothies daily but have never had just orange and have never not peeled my oranges. I always start off with a tray of icecubes, a splash of yoghurt, a banana and an orange and then usually a thick slice of pineapple or an apple (about 4 pieces of fruit in total). It makes 2 huge smoothies - one for me and one for my son.

It was especially nice in the summer to have fresh peach & raspberries or blueberries with the banana and orange but definitely not cheap!
Barb from Aldgate, South Australia

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 12:59:00 am »
You can try putting the oranges and ice cubes in and blitz them on 9 or 10 for a minute and then strain them through the baket and put back and add yoghurt or whatever.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Patzee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 03:28:44 pm »
Thanks for all your suggestions.  I think my problem was that I was just blitzing the orange on it's own (peeled).  Have now realised I need to add a bit of water/liquid and icecubes.  And maybe strain through the basket.  Looking forward to more experimenting and adapting some of my favour receipes to the 'Thermomix' way!  Have three weeks holidays now so going to have fun.  :D :D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 03:38:42 pm »

Have three weeks holidays now so going to have fun.  :D :D

Have a great time - be prepared - buy lots of freezer bags, or invite lots of friends - you have my email address  ;) ;) ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Patzee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 04:49:33 pm »
Thanxs Thermomixer!  Having a friend come over for the  weekend tomorrow.  Any suggestions on what I could cook to impress her.  I have only had my machine for four days so not that confident with it yet.    ???

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 08:21:35 pm »
You could try the Asian Fish fillets or the Salmon stuffed with salmon mousse and mango sauce - both recipes really quick and easy and the salmon especially is very impressive. Sorbet never fails to impress.
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=1368.0 for the salmon recipe.
Shayla in Cape Town

Offline Patzee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 09:37:04 am »
Thanks Shayla for the advice.  Didnt have time to look at your reply before she came.  Ended up cooking Minestrone and  fruit icecream made from bananas and strawberries.  Both were yum!!  Even enjoyed the soup myself.  Dont usually enjoy my own cooking, but went back for seconds!  I'll definately try the samon recipe for myself.  I think some of the recipes in the book that came with the machine definitely need tweeking (?) to your own personal tastes.  Also have to remember not to overprocess the onions for frying!!   ;)

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 12:18:31 pm »
Glad it turned out well P!

I hear you on the over blitzing... oh and another tip.. don't throw the onion and garlic in, blitz and lift the lid while looking in the bowl!!  Talk about teary!!  :-[  *Shhhh I didn't really do that.. honest!*
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 12:39:25 pm »
the chopping instruction in the everyday book will basically mince and destroy everything. i learnt from someone (i forget who lol maybe it was one of the converted recipes) to start at speed 4 for chopping, gradually turning up to speed 5 if needed. and don't ever walk away, jsut do it for seconds at a time.  that is except for something like garlic where you want it to be superfine - speed 6 is perfect then :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 01:23:44 pm »
I agree about the over processing. I have found that you need to listen and soon learn exactly when something is ready. Even the custard and bechemel sauce have a different sound when they start to thicken. Just learn to trust your own ears rather than the instructions.

Shayla - it is a sunny winters day in Cape Town - heaven on earth

Offline Patzee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 04:40:42 pm »
Yeah I think I'll learn from my mistakes.  Like cut vegies smaller to speed up cooking time for minestrone. Made spaghetti bologne tonight, very nice.  Forgot to add herbs though.  Trying to perfect bread making.  My consultant made the best focaccia!   Everything I've made so far hasnt been as nice as what I taste at the demostrations.  But suppose practice makes perfect! ;)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 11:09:37 pm »

Everything I've made so far hasnt been as nice as what I taste at the demostrations.  But suppose practice makes perfect! ;)

True, practice makes perfect.  Don't get disheartened - hope the family is supportive, easy to give up if they complain that it's NOT like the stuff from the shop.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 01:28:31 am »
Patzee, have you tried some of the recipes on the forum?  I was disappointed with certain recipes from the ECB (apart from sweets) when I first got my TMX and it wasn't until I joined the forum that my cooking suddenly improved and I got the passion for it as well.  If you like the sound of a recipe, ask us if we have tried it and you will get answers and tweaking ideas back faster than you can say boo ;) ;) Definitely don't overprocess things - blitzing times can sometimes be over the top but you will soon learn the times to suit you when chopping onions etc. Less is best - you can always do it a bit longer but too late once it has turned to mush.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.